Guess who's coming to theoutside world?

For the first 6 weeks, one cried nonstop. The doctor didn't think it was colic, just a grouchy baby.

From what I've learned in the forum about & with highly sensitive people, it might well have been a highly sensitive baby, too.

I have read several times there that especially sensitive babies tend to cry much longer and be ... well, more sensitive towards everything.

Corwin, yeah the doctor said she thinks it's colic.

We do have a swing that can work wonders on her but she only likes that every once in a while. The best way to calm her down has been going for a car ride but that's not a very realistic option most of the time.

I think the hardest part of all of this is my wife's post partum depression. I can handle a baby crying (for the most part). I just pop in some ear plugs and rock her. But, it is really difficult to see my wife the way she is. Luckily it hasn't really affected our relationship but that may just be a matter of time. I'm hoping that it's just a hormone thing and she can work her way out of it soon.

That post-partum stuff is common and normal but still very serious shit, amigo. Be aware, and don't be afraid to act. You'll be in trouble with the boss regardless of what you do or don't do, so your decision should be a little simpler than you might think. Don't know your situation well enough to make any recommendations (and it's really none of my business anyway), but letting it fester and hoping for the best is a bad plan. Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt, my friend.

Corwin, yeah the doctor said she thinks it's colic.

We do have a swing that can work wonders on her but she only likes that every once in a while. The best way to calm her down has been going for a car ride but that's not a very realistic option most of the time.
Don't be afraid to experiment. If she likes car rides, try placing her in the car seat on the tumbler, or on top of the washing machine. If she likes to sleep in the stroller (and you live in a reasonably safe area) let her sleep in it after a walk (that worked wonders with our younger one, she napped for hours on our porch). Before your wife's nerves get completely shot, DO take the baby for a long car-ride. Try swings, baths, etc. For most babys there seems to be something that calms them down, you just have to discover what.
It will still be stressfull, but finding a way to get some time without a screaming banshee in the house helps enormously ;)

Regarding the depressions, I know how you are feeling. Remember that it very likely will pass, but that raising a child will always be stressfull and often results in depressive episodes even later. It is as important for you to learn to live with such phases, as it is for her to realize what it is, and be proactive about it.

Thanks for all of the words of wisdom everybody. It seems like things are getting easier and my wife is feeling a lot better. Since our girl likes to cry the moment that we think about going to sleep, we just let her cry until my mother in law, who lives with us, comes to get her. My wife and I aren't sure how she gets the baby to go to sleep, we've spent countless hours trying to do it at night, but when we wake up in the night to feed the baby she is sound asleep. We're enjoying the sleep :D .

Grandparents are issued magic pixie dust at the hospital. I think they get it while you're signing the super-secret parent contract (you know, the one where you swear to be unfair, unreasonable, uncool, stupid, and a constant source of oppressive misery for the first 18 years of their lives). It seems to me that it would be far easier to issue the pixie dust to the parents, but I guess that would be too easy. Maybe it's compensation--if they're going to start looking like Yoda, they might as well get some Force-like powers. Or maybe it's a secret Illuminati plot for global population reduction, since worn out parents are far better at willingly forgetting the activity that made them parents in the first place.

Haha! They are all valid theories.

Actually, after the second night of the grandmother doing this, I asked my wife if her mom has magic sleeping powder. So, that makes sense that she got the pixie dust when I was signing that contract...

Beautiful.

I was sat on the dryer while it ran. Or near the vaccuum cleaner.

I turned out….well ok maybe not. I didn't commit felonies, but I slept well.

Beautiful child.

edit = ok one felony

I have read not long ago that there indeed seems to be a special relationship between grandparents and their grandchildren. And that appears to be so in ll societies, in all humankind civilizations, and for thousands if not hundreds of thousands of years, I guess.
Curious thing. Seems that scientists have never noticed so far.

Of course there's a special relationship. You can entertain kids as long as you want, and transfer them to parents when there are diapers that need changing, fights to stagger and when they simple become obnoxious. like children do.

Pibbur who notices a slight improvement when they pass the age of 30.

@ Dte "Maybe it's compensation—if they're going to start looking like Yoda, they might as well get some Force-like powers." Hold on there now........this Grandma does NOT look like Yoda! :cm:

I do however have that new baby majic. It just comes from trying so many things to get the now parents to shut up that you learn fast what works most times and then go down the list. ;) These are trade secrets only for grandparents and the reason is purely revenge for all the nights we had to stay up to learn them. :)

Korplem, post up a pic when you can.

Guess who gets to be trap fodder today while we run our session? :p

@ Dte "Maybe it's compensation—if they're going to start looking like Yoda, they might as well get some Force-like powers." Hold on there now……..this Grandma does NOT look like Yoda! :cm:
Vader?
I do however have that new baby majic. It just comes from trying so many things to get the now parents to shut up that you learn fast what works most times and then go down the list. ;) These are trade secrets only for grandparents and the reason is purely revenge for all the nights we had to stay up to learn them. :)
Just like we get children to revenge what we got from our parents. Unfortunately, my plans for revenge failed miserably.
Korplem, post up a pic when you can.
Yes.

pibbur who recently discovered that his oldest daughter lurks rpgwatch forums and therefore may have to be ******* and ******** and of course ******* hereafter.

These were taken in the hospital.

The mother is Filipino and I'm mostly of Finnish lineage so I guess that makes her Finnipino.

Attachments

• {bb6ee42a-fb68-4f8a-ab51-29a205b025c1}_2.jpg
    {bb6ee42a-fb68-4f8a-ab51-29a205b025c1}_2.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 28
  • {bb6ee42a-fb68-4f8a-ab51-29a205b025c1}_4.jpg
    {bb6ee42a-fb68-4f8a-ab51-29a205b025c1}_4.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 27
  • {bb6ee42a-fb68-4f8a-ab51-29a205b025c1}_1.jpg
    {bb6ee42a-fb68-4f8a-ab51-29a205b025c1}_1.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 27
  • {bb6ee42a-fb68-4f8a-ab51-29a205b025c1}_8.jpg
    {bb6ee42a-fb68-4f8a-ab51-29a205b025c1}_8.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 27
She's really cute :)!

My son cut his hair with his scissors while he made his homework yesterday. When I came home from work I had to grab *my* scissors and continue what he had started. Now if he had curly hair, he'd look like a hobbit.

She is so cute! :) That is the best age, before they learn to move and talk. After that you have to lock up the world from them for several years. :lol: (As Jaz just proved.)

Yep. it's all fun and games until they start walking (to some extent crawling, but crawling limits their vertical range and largely ties up their hands). Once they're walking, Mommy and Daddy will be ready to spend some quality time at that special Holiday Inn, where life is beautiful all the time and I'll happy to see those nice young men with their cleanwhitecoatsandthey'recomingtotakemeawayHAHA

... you thought it was a joke and so you laughed ... :harl:

Back
Top Bottom