Hardcore Games - 12 Best PC RPGs of All Time

Any brave nice soul would like to recap the top 12 in their post. Once I enter one of those click through lists, I am lost for at least an hour due to all the interesting distractions.

Any brave nice soul would like to recap the top 12 in their post. Once I enter one of those click through lists, I am lost for at least an hour due to all the interesting distractions.

12. Gothic 2
11. The Witcher 2
10. Planescape Torment
9 Divinity Original Sin
8. Mass Effect 2
7. Dark Souls
6. Oblivion
5. Fallout 2
4. Deus Ex
3. Diablo 2
2. Skyrim
1. Baldur's Gate 2

Pretty decent list, IMO. Not a big fan of Diablo or The Witcher, but I can understant why they are on the list.

Last edited:
12. Gothic 2
11. The Witcher 2
10. Planescape Torment
9 Divinity Original Sin
8. Mass Effect 2
7. Dark Souls
6. Oblivion
5. Fallout 2
4. Deus Ex
3. Diablo 2
2. Skyrim
1. Baldur's Gate 2

Pretty decent list, IMO. Not a big fan of Diablo or The Witcher, but I can understant why they are on the list.

Thank Vanedor. I agree with a few others, it's not my top list but it not a wacky one either. I'm glad they made it a top 12 list so that one of my favs (Gothic 2) was able to get some love.

The funny thing is people complained about mass effect and skyrim way before diablo.

I would not even include Diablo and Dark Souls in the list. Hell, Mass Effect 2 barely qualifies as RPG.
Action RPG games like that should have their own lists.

Not going to bother clicking the link.

Just tell me I've misunderstood something. They included Mass Effect 2 and they call themselves Hardcore Games?

I'm a hardcore gamer. I like Mass Effect. So what? It's not a list of the most hardcore RPGs ever made.

I'm a hardcore gamer. I like Mass Effect. So what? It's not a list of the most hardcore RPGs ever made.

I know you like Mass Effect 2, but that doesn't make it a hardcore game. I enjoy Mass Effect myself, but it's definitely not hardcore. Do note that my definition of a hardcore game is about how much you need to invest to succeed on the average difficulty level.

As I said, they're called "Hardcore Games" - not "Mostly Hardcore Games".

Anyway, it's not a big deal. If they want to include mainstream games - it's not the end of the world. It just doesn't reflect the name they've chosen.

Well, compared to Candy crush saga Mass Effect is pretty hardcore? It's not TOTALLY mindless. ;)

Well, compared to Candy crush saga Mass Effect is pretty hardcore? It's not TOTALLY mindless. ;)

There's nothing mindless or negative about a mainstream game.

It's just that you don't have to be a "dedicated" or enthusiastic gamer to enjoy it or succeed at it.

I would call something like Wasteland 2 a hardcore game, because the average gamer would be quite lost - and likely wouldn't be able to create an effective party.

That doesn't make him stupid, it just makes him less experienced and less invested.

Maybe I care more about what words mean? I guess.

What does have to do with this.If site is called Hardcore games they should be focused on hard core games not be just another unremarkable gaming site.

Well, this list is obviously unfiltered, which means it's simply their top 12 list. Otherwise it would have been named "12 best hardcore PC RPGs of all time". It's pretty clear that the only filter is the fact that the games in question have to be:
A) RPGs
B) For the PC platform.

I don't actually visit that site all too often, so for all I know they might have other lists or articles that are more centered around hardcore RPGs. For example, the page on Gothic 2 specifically mentions that it's more of a hardcore game.

What does have to do with this.If site is called Hardcore games they should be focused on hard core games not be just another unremarkable gaming site.

Focused on it doesn't mean exclusively, nor does it mean that the authors should only have hardcore games among their favorites.

Once again, I'm simply pointing out that the list doesn't reflect their name.

In my world, choosing a name for your site should mean something, but that's just me.

I have no interest in this site or what they're doing to confuse their message. I'm just pointing out the obvious and irrefutable fact that making a list that includes several mainstream games doesn't reflect a "hardcore" position or focus.

Maybe it's the exception for this site?

My gut tells me they're just not very serious about their name - and that's common enough.

No biggie.

They're reviewing casual mobile games as well. I can't say I think much of their hardcore focus.

To each his own, though.

Focused on it doesn't mean exclusively, nor does it mean that the authors should only have hardcore games among their favorites.

I don't think they should be 100% exclusive but they should be really focused on them which they are not(I visited site for my released kickstarter games list they have reviews of some obscure games).They have some nice indie reviews but not much focus on hard core games.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom