Gothic 3 Having problems with missing console!

standjo

Watcher
Hey folks!

After almost a week of googling, searching different sites, downloading every patch known to mankind, tweaking all files that could\should\can be tweaked, and then googling some more, I turn to this forum hoping for a good answer.

I fail to get up the console on G3 no matter what I do! I've pushed every button on my keyboard a 1000 times, 950 of these in pure anger and depression...

I once lost my mind and somehow turned on the god-mode without the console after letting anger fade into the keyboard, but I have no idea what I did, thus this became the one and only incident.

I've turned on testmode. My keyboard is norwegian so I don't have the ~-key under ESC, but still there should be a key that works.

I've searched the controls file for the console key, but I cant find any. Is there a way to change the key for opening the console?

Can anyone please help me??? Its kinda frustrating as there seems to be no solution to this problem...

It should be the one above the tab key -> for Norwegian keyboards: '§' and '|' key.
At least it is like this on my keyboard, a Belgian one: there it is the superscript '3' and '2' button.

It should be the one above the tab key -> for Norwegian keyboards: '§' and '|' key.
At least it is like this on my keyboard, a Belgian one: there it is the superscript '3' and '2' button.

I thought so myself at first, but nothing happens when this key is pushed. I've tried to change the keyboard settings without any luck.

Its weird that you can't change the key for the console in the controls.ini file, seems that you can change anything else. Or could it be that the console option in my case does not exist yet?

I still wonder how I managed to turn on god-mode... Is there another way for doing that?

Happy for any answer!

You did use the tweak file or did you manually edit the ini file? I ask this since those are the two ways to turn on the editor. Another thing is that I had to do the tweaking thing again after installing the patches. Makes sense since a patch would change a lot of files.

Mostly manually since the tweaker dont seem to have any options related to my problem.

The controls.ini file should have a "Toggle Console=~" or something written in it, since all other functions seem to be listed there. Right? If there were, I could change the key for activating it. But easier said than done...

Im kinda lost here. :-/

I still think the console was accidently killed in one of the community patches.

Re:- [The controls.ini file should have a "Toggle Console=~" or something written in it]

In the ini file under [Game] ensure --> Testmode=true ;)

Judging the first reply I got on my thread, I expected a very satisfying answer from you Wulf. Well, the testmode=true solution came up quite often on the research I've made. So Im sorry to say that the testmode is already true.

I should have mentioned that at first post, my bad. (edit: Actually, I did mention it!)

Any other ideas then Wulf? :)

Of course standjo, silly me.

To experiment, beg steal or borrow from a friend, another keyboard that is different in denomination (eg: usb or PS2 etc') to confirm if key select problem. Try a keyboard that matches the Game version (eg: english k/b for english game version). In mainboard bios (eg: under chip device or similar) if you have the keyboard o/s or bios choice, select 'bios' also check the 'legacy' keyboard support is enabled. Select or confirm the 'matching' keyboard/language properties in the operating system control panel. Exhausting all possibilities in this matching area will confirm if at all thats it is/isn't a hardware problem.
Obviously, checking all of the *english* type characters in wordpad/notepad should be enough.

I havn't used console in G3.

Thats more like it! :biggrin: Thank you!

Ill see if I find some keyboards to test. My laptop only takes keyboards with USB. English keyboards in Norway may be a little tricky to find though.

Ill be back when Im done testing!

You havn't used the console or doesnt it work?

Tried another keyboard now. It works exactly like the one on the laptop, tried it first in WordPad with english settings. Tried both ingame with norwegian, english and german settings. The key below Esc does absolutely nothing. Tried every key twice with no console ever showing up.

Seems like the theory on the console not even existing anymore because of patches is more probable than a keyboard malfunction. But I have had problems with other games where the ~-key have similar usage.

But if thats the case Id rather finish up this round of G3 and find myself another game to be amused with, than having to order (and maybe even import) myself a english keyboard just to bring up a little console.

Id love to have god mode so I can mop up those annoying beasts everywhere. I find it rather irritating when the nameless hero can slay a whole town of orcs without any worries (lvl 57), but when Im all done slaying, plundering and all fun in between, a little wolf just outside of town could turn me into a fine mercenary steak in a half second. Lions and sabretooth tigers makes me run for my roleplaying life. :(

Deactivate the entry for the permanent test mode in the .ini. Activate it manually instead:

Press Esc while in the game, click on Credits, then type marvin. Press Esc twice. Now you should be back in the game and see a message "Marvin Mode activated". If you get this far you can at least say the cheat mode works and only the console is the problem. The key should be the one between Tab and Esc, left to the 1.
Certain drivers for infrared receivers block this key.
(Transl. from German. Not tried. This is supposed to be the fool proof method though.)

What OS are you using? Vista?

Wether we get you to activate Marvin or not,
you cant say that the community is not trying to help you out.

And I didn't want to put pressure on Wulf and high expectations about him for you.
I feel bad about this.

I hope that you get to be a Gothic 3 immortal in the end. :fingerscrossed::worship:

There's no problem enodenroH, all the gothic posts are very welcome, this is what the community is all about.

I did do extensive experiments with marvin in G1 and G2 but G3 is different, it isn't fully solved yet so no marvin from me.

I think i'm right in saying that patch 1.2 is the last official patch prior to the community patches? - so thats the one i've just installed without *spoiling* any of the original plot.

G3 is a beautiful game if you can get it to run correctly. The plot is very devious it tends to pull the player away from the true course to Xardas...very crafty.

The overpowering wolves standjo mentions are also intentional by game concept design to the plot. The orcs are indeed easy to kill because they are storyline/plot intended not to be killed because they are creatures of Adanos. Another means of resolving the problems with the orcs must be found - it says so in the game! (per the druid fighter Arakos)

A merry yuletide. :beer::party:

I think i'm right in saying that patch 1.2 is the last official patch prior to the community patches? - so thats the one i've just installed without *spoiling* any of the original plot.

The later CPs are also "official".

Deactivate the entry for the permanent test mode in the .ini. Activate it manually instead:

What OS are you using? Vista?
Ill try that. :) I have Vista.

Wether we get you to activate Marvin or not,
you cant say that the community is not trying to help you out.

And I didn't want to put pressure on Wulf and high expectations about him for you.
I feel bad about this.

I hope that you get to be a Gothic 3 immortal in the end. :fingerscrossed::worship:

Oh, Im sorry if I've sounded rude! Im very thankful for the help I have gotten so far, and when my problem is solved, you will all be Gods! :biggrin: This is a good forum.

Ended the game just now, slaying almost everyone in the name of Belliar. The funny thing is, even though I now ended the game ruling the world and being the top predator among mankind, I still have to fear the wildlife... So a second playthrough really is tempting. Revenge on the beasts! Plus: So many cities to burn, so many people to plunder... AGAIN! :D I just love the Krush Tarach!

A merry yuletide.

Almost forgot! MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE! :D

[Press Esc while in the game, click on Credits, then type marvin. Press Esc twice. Now you should be back in the game and see a message "Marvin Mode activated". If you get this far you can at least say the cheat mode works and only the console is the problem. The key should be the one between Tab and Esc, left to the 1.

Thats strange, It seems that it wont activate manually. :S

Esc during game, clicked on credits, entered marvin, esc two times. Nothing.

What could this be?

Back
Top Bottom