Hockey Playoffs 2009!

I've got to get our round 3 scores together, seeing as how the playoffs will be over tonight. ;)

Now there was an awesome game. Loved it!! :)

And off to Game 7 we go!

Well, the good news is that we played like total crap and still only lost by 1 goal. The bad news is that it still counts as an L.

Great to see it go to game 7 ... and glad to see the Lakers lose ...

Some random stats....

Last sports team of the NHL, NBA or MLB to see a road team win a Championship on Game 7 was the Pittsburgh Pirates in 1979.

Of the 10 Stanley Cup finals Game 7s since 1950, nine were won by the home team. The 1971 Montreal Canadiens were the only exception, winning Game 7 in Chicago to complete their comeback from a 3-2 series deficit

Penguins are 6-4 all time in game 7s. 4-0 at home, 2-4 on the road.

Red Wings are 11-7 all time in game 7s. 1-3 on the road, 10-4 at home.

... and sports history is littered with "wow, that hasn't happened since ..." moments ;)

Are you trying to claim Detroit has some kind of advantage because of those boards? As if a completely unpredictable bounce would somehow benefit them?

No one is saying its completely unpredictable except you. I don't know why you are saying that the boards aren't an advantage when its quite clear many of the bad bounces and goals scored against Pittsburgh in this series were because they didn't understand how the boards work and the Wings did.

Special home ice boards have played a factor with a number of teams, often defining them: Boston and their small ice surface with tremendous give when players are checked into them; Buffalo with their rounded corners and Zamboni driver who pushes the board when the puck is dumped into their end; Montreal, with the concrete reinforced boards that no one would dare check anyone into; similarly, all the teams with seamless glass; Edmonton with its extremely fast ice surface; New York, when the "zoo" comes to MSG during playoffs and wrecks the surface; the extra wide int'l ice.

In some of those cases home ice is a disadvantage. Any team with seamless glass risks serious injury on their team which probably lead to them being removed in Vancouver.

GG, I wouldn't count this as a "small" advantage at all. Would Boston be the team it was in the 80's and 90's without the Gardens? Certainly they needed Ray Bourque and co. but their style, clutch, grab, and check into the boards at every opportunity, was based on their skill to exploit an illegal rink.

The same thing is happening in Detroit.

Other than that, every team has the same advantage at home: the fans and the last change.

Well there's no arguing with you on this topic. You're obviously far more knowledgable about the situation than any of us....or even the players themselves evidently. :roll:

Canadians know FAR more about Hockey than anyone else, don't ya know!! :)

I applied to the NHL but Bettman thought I'd expose too many secrets, like why he really allowed a team in a Phoenix.

Game on tonight, folks! Even the US press is far more interested in tonight's game than the NBA finals, and that's a stunner.

I'll be out, but I plan to set up my little used VCR and tape the game for (hopefully) later enjoyment!! :)

... and sports history is littered with "wow, that hasn't happened since ..." moments ;)

So ... sorry for you Wings fans, but I know my friend at work will be excited on Monday!

I had a bad feeling going into the game, guess I know why now. Red Wing fans will have to be satisfied with the 4 Cups over the last 11 years for now. We'll be back as a contender again next year for sure.

:D Well, I won't say I told you so!! :D

Back
Top Bottom