Horizon Forbidden West - Review @ GamingBolt

My main issues with the characters in HZD are not really with the dialogue, but more with the very wooden most of them deliver it. A few of the main ones do a decent job, including the protagonist. But a lot of the people on the side are noticeably wooden.

But I'm still enjoying it enough to keep with it. Unfortunately I got some major story spoilers revealed to me. But I liked what I heard, so I want to see for myself.

Last edited:
Not trolling. I liked the visuals. Technically speaking (sound, graphics etc) the game is pretty good, and that was enough to make me keep going.

I don't have memory issues, not sure why you said that. To tell you the truth, all I remember was dinos as enemies and evil tribesmen from another clan or something. I also remember a city modeled after arabian architecture after the huge dino. And another super boring city after that with a coliseum structure. I don't recall at all how the end game was, but I swear I finished it.

I do have selective memory though, I can memorise complete scores of piano sheet music, but I found the story here so mediocre, I think my brain just erased it right after the final credits rolled.
Okay, one last try: You said that the story was forgettable and obviously you really forgot it. That can only happen to somebody with memory problems, if they have played the game till the end. Since I don't want to write spoilers here, I recommend you look up the story synopsis in the Wikipedia article about HZD and try to remember, who the various people mentioned there were, for example Elisabet Sobeck, Ted Faro or Gaia. (Of course people, who yet have to play the first game, might not want to do that.)

With respect to your question about the second game: I am playing and loving it and in particular, how the story is continued. However, since you obviously didn't appreciate the story in the first one, I don't know, why that would change.

But I am sure that everybody who loved the first game, will also love the second .

I enjoyed the story of the first game HZD a whole lot and found it to be original and very interesting. If someone played the game but has forgotten the story then the game just wasn't interesting to them, and to each their own, but for me the story was a very strong point of the game and very memorable.

I have also enjoyed almost all of the Assassin's Creed games, including Odyssey which in my view is the best AC game (mostly tied with a few other AC games). In Odyssey the story was a strong point of the game for me.

Almost all of the games I play have a strong narrative (which I look into before purchase), and in the pretty rare case when I encounter an uninteresting narrative I don't enjoy the game and stop playing it.

How does this compare to Dragon's Dogma 2? I've grown quite fond of DD2 and trying to see if this is another new game I will learn to enjoy

How does this compare to Dragon's Dogma 2? I've grown quite fond of DD2 and trying to see if this is another new game I will learn to enjoy
Assuming DD2 isn't drastically different from DD1, HFW isn't very similar. It's a sci-fi/post-apoc setting and is more story-heavy. Combat is heavily skewed towards ranged attacks, and using stealth is a must in a lot of situations. Large open world with tons of locations. I think the exploration is great, but I might be biased because post-apoc is one of my favorite settings.

If you like post-apoc, I think it's a must play. But you'll want to start with Horizon Zero Dawn first or you'll be missing out on a lot of the story.

Back
Top Bottom