How would you prefer to donate?

How would you prefer to donate on RPGWatch?

• Recurring small monthly sum

• Recurring medium monthly sum

• Recurring large monthly sum

• One-off small sum

• One-off medium sum

• One-off large sum

• I would not donate

• Other (please explain in comments) or staff member

Results are only viewable after voting.

Taluntain

Keeper of the Watch
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm finally getting around to setting up donations here and I'm in the process of determining donation tiers, so I'm wondering how people prefer to donate. Please take the poll and we'll find out. Feel free to discuss further in the comments here.

Right now I'm planning on offering an automatic recurring $5 monthly donation tier as well as one-off donation options for 3 months, 6 months, 1-10 years and a lifetime tier.

The tiers will all come with the same perks and ad-free access (once ads are actually set up); the only difference is in the how long the perks and ad-free access last until you need to donate again.

Poll results are anonymous and there are no wrong answers -- I'd like to get a realistic picture, so please be truthful when answering.

(For the record, all the staff members will be getting ad-free access by default.)

Last edited:
I guess that's purely subjective. For one-off donations, I'd consider small to be in the $1-20 range, medium in $21-50 range and large $51 and above, but obviously YMMV, so everyone can vote according to their perception of the ranges.

For recurring donations it's a somewhat different story; for one person $5 per month is little, for someone else quite a lot. So anyone who prefers to make recurring donations Patreon-style, I'd appreciate to hear feedback on what you would consider to be sensible sums to offer in the donation tiers.

Last edited:
I'd quite happily do a small ($5) donation per month. I guess that adds up to a medium-large ($60) donation per year, so maybe I'd do that anyway if that was the option...
(Voted for small donation per month though)

I guess that's purely subjective. For one-off donations, I'd consider small to be in the $1-20 range, medium in $21-50 range and large $51 and above, but obviously YMMV, so everyone can vote according to their perception of the ranges.

For recurring donations it's a somewhat different story; for one person $5 per month is little, for someone else quite a lot. So anyone who prefers to make recurring donations Patreon-style, I'd appreciate to hear feedback on what you would consider to be sensible sums to offer in the donation tiers.
I used to give about £50 ($65) per year, but it used to coincide with Myrthos' donation times. So I guess I'll vote for the large one-off ones.

Ashamedly I've never donated yet. How do you currently donate? I've not found any page or info on how to do this.
Just that the donation system is currently undergoing some changes to tie with the ads on the site.
Donations are currently disables. Taluntain is working on putting it back in place.

I used to donate $100 a year right around my birthday. I would not donate monthly but would donate the one-off donation again.

For me it will be ad-free regardless, so I donate by grantig RPGWatch the privilege of getting my points of view and my time out of my limited lifetime. I could be doing far more prodctive things towards my self-betterment in that time.

You're welcome.

Last edited:
I'd like to include the option for yearly recurring donations as well, but XenForo's subscription system is really clunky and basic and doesn't allow for any flexibility under a single donation tier. So each donation amount, one-off or recurring, needs to be set up as a separate entry, resulting in a long list. Ideally, there would just be a checkbox with one-off donation options and you could turn them into recurring ones. There's also no option for users to be able to choose a custom donation amount, so I'm investigating the various XF donation addons to see if we can improve on what's available in XF by default.

Based on the feedback above, I've added another small monthly recurring donation option of $3.

I'll be improving on this in the next few days, adding the option for unregistered members to donate and making it all more visible, but anyone so inclined can already donate at https://rpgwatch.com/forum/account/upgrades

Please let me know if there are any issues with the process if you do donate.

Oh, wow. Our first donation, and it's a LIFETIME one. Hopefully I'm not breaking confidentiality here by telling. ;) Thanks a bunch, @danutz_plusplus ! :)
No, it's fine. I figured it's about time. I've been having fun on this great forum since 2007 and hadn't donated yet. Cheers to everyone and let's keep it up. :D

You didn't want to use the same colours as the other tags for 'Supporter', below the avatar?
I'm not yet 100% decided on that. I think that it makes sense for the Supporter banner to stand out a little as it also becomes a bit of an encouragement to donate. ("User banner" is the term XF uses for these internally.)

Though I wouldn't mind making the other banners more colourful either. The problem is making them all look good on both the dark and light forum styles, as what works for one usually doesn't for the other. We'd probably need to have different colours for dark/light styles.

Back
Top Bottom