I am not enjoying Planescape:Torment :(

I just wish that was true.
Sadly we're in justinbiebering of everything age.

The Witcher 3.
Release version, of course. I didn't buy season pass.

PST is a game where combat is the least important thing. Things are reversed in PST, in PST combat is just an irrelevant filler. Perhaps it'd be better to describe PST combat as being a sidecontent.
I'm pretty sure anyone who adores games that have nothing except combat (DarkSouls and clones) will hate PST with passion. :)

I love darks souls games and clones and hated PST, so you might have something there.:D

PST to me was just endless boring dialogue, bad combat, bad death mechanic and terrible humor. ( wise cracking skull)

It didn't help that I didn't research it at all before buying it, I automatically thought it would be another IE game so it was instabuy.

It was my most disappointing game of all time until DA2 was released.

It makes me feel bad that I don't appreciate a game so praised by everyone else…

Don't feel bad. Planescape: Torment is not a game...it's a tome. And with over half a million words in the upcoming sequel (more than the combined text of the 3 volume LOTR), I see no hope for the future of this series.

Cry havoc! Let loose the fanboys of Planescape Torment!

You want a fanboy? Here comes the …. Actually not.

To me PS:T is the best RPG I've ever played. I really liked the setting, the story, how TNO interacted with his history. And the dialogue, especially coming back to the same NPCs again and again with new dialogue options as the story evolved (reminds me of Ultima). I didn't mind all the reading. These things were more important than the weaknesses of the game.

It's the only game I was sad when finishing it, because I could no longer play it for the first time (similiar to how I felt after reading LOTR). That said, I haven't replayed it (I've never replayed a game - except tetris, solitaire and similar).

But I can certainly see that it's not everyone's cup of tea. No big deal, don't need to analyze why. Other people like games, even good games, I don't like. Notable example: Arcanum, which many consider a very good game. And I agree, but I still didn't like it, it didn't do anything for me.

BTW:mad:sakichop. What do you mean by "death mechanic"? I haven't run into that expression before.

pibbur who thinks reading 500 000 words is twice as funny as reading 250 000. And who therefore wonders if he herafter should adopt a PST style when posting, but fears that it will take too much tiime. To write.

Last edited:
It took two false starts before I could get far in Planescape because every time, after a while, I'd want to try something different or something didn't quite seem right in what I'd done. Eventually I got far enough to start to appreciate the game more but you have to realise something with this game. You need to absorb the game world a lot before you start to really engage with it and that meant getting familiar with the setting via lots of conversations.

After a while it clicks but that unfamiliarity with the world was a bit of a barrier for me for a while. I understood my characters motivation all right thanks to Morte but it took some time for the game to gain momentum. I generally find combat keeps me interested in the down periods in other rpgs but thats not the case here. Your really playing an adventure game and once I understood that it improved my experience.

I think what made it so special was the setting was incredibly novel and still is. I recall watching the movie memento in an art house within a few months after and they both fed my intellectual curiosity on memory...

Funny you mentioned that. I don't remember the details but I think I decided to play PST after watching Memento. Or it was the other way around, playing PST first and watching Memento because of that. Either way there was a link between those two.

pibbur who sometimes is a bit anxious when ordering beer.

Back
Top Bottom