Icewind Dale: EE - Interview Questions (Questions Sent)

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
We are planning an interview with Icewind Dale: Extended Edition project lead,
Alex Tomovic and Liam Esler, one of the 'producery types' as he puts it. We can think of questions ourselves, but we are convinced you will have some as well. So let us know.

If you have a question for someone else at Beamdog that is possible as well as we were told they would hunt that person down until the question was answered.

More information.

So.... what do you want to know?

I finished and enjoyed IWD so I wonder what will these guys plan to convince me to buy this EE version, out of nostalgia ? That's the only question that matters to me :)

I don't really see how we , or any child really, will ever have time to play this type of game. even with updated graphics.

Games need to be focused, and to the point. stretching too long will leave an empty feeling in the gamer that will eventually abandon them. )

So question. does he think IWD's length is too much to chew on nowadays? or does he still think same rules apply.

Q2, if he had to make 1 drastic change, game design wise (like length, like party/single, more emphasis on dialog less on fight? etc)

Well, I'm interested in knowing a bit more about this "Infinity Engine Plus" they've created. Is it even possible to make PST and IWD2 with it? I actually doubt it, as those two games are vastly different in terms of rules, spells and mechanics.

Also, is the IE Plus engine so re-usable they can retroactively apply changes to all the games they've developed with it? Can they fix or add something (a new class kit for example) to IWD: EE and then just plop it into BG: EE with a patch?

I would like to think such a thing was possible unless it was a game specific bug (related to a specific quest for example).

Just one question:
Are we finally going to get fixed pathfinding? Both BGEE and BG2EE have terrible pathfinding of original games.

Walkthroughs for Icewind Dale have been available for a while now, making it easy for an inexperienced player to work through the more difficult parts of the main plot. Are you going to use this opportunity to throw in a slew of new surprises that break from this well-worn path? To me it would make the playing experience more of a challenge, and more worthwhile, if it became unpredictable again.

I guess my question is what makes this so Mich better than a nodded version from gog that justifies a 20$ purchase.

What features did they add that aren't mods I can get free?

Will they be adding joinable NPCs?

Will there be any new areas?

Are they ever going to officially support Intel GPU/MS Surface Pro?

Are there any specific improvements or content additions set for Trials of the Luremaster and Heart of Winter. If so, what are they?

Is any of the work on IWD building on from already established or pre-existing mod work? (Gibberlings 3 IWD fixpacks, Aurils Bane etc?)

I also wouldn't mind hearing a response to my query from the other thread regarding the potential for a proper IWD II expansion? Is it feasible if their other projects have enough success?

Last edited:
I guess my question would be: "Due to time constraints, IWDII was cut short and its content recycled from its predecessor; I feel that any "Enhanced" edition should try to remedy this in some fashion - so will you? Or will it be another paint job?"

I guess my question would be: "Due to time constraints, IWDII was cut short and its content recycled from its predecessor; I feel that any "Enhanced" edition should try to remedy this in some fashion - so will you? Or will it be another paint job?"

Given that they were prevented by contract (IIRC) from changing any of the original content in the BG games (basically all the unfinished business mod content), they won't be able to do anything to the existing IWDII content. They certainly could create their own content, but hopefully it will be a bit more robust than what they did in BGEE.

The touch interface for the Android version of BG:EE was excellent. Can we expect the same interface for ID:EE? Or are there plans to change/improve on this?

And x2 for:

Can we expect a Planescape : Torment EE ?

How are the BG2 spells going to be integrated? Will all mages have access to these spells? Are their plans to adapt the mage AI to make use of both original IWD spells and the BG spell book?

more of a comment than a question, but would appreciate a heck of alot more content versus the original to get around the perception of the original icewind dale being a grindfest.

IWD is my favorite of all the IE games. It showed me that linear games can be enjoyable if they have a compelling story. That said, will there be any attempt to make it more open by allowing players to step away from the main plot.

Also

IWD met major complaints from a number of players who lost their first level characters right away (apparently, it had a lot of players who didn't seem to know that's how AD&D is at low levels and why you have to play smart. The game is hard).

Will there be any nerfing of the game for those early levels the way it was done in Neverwinter Nights.

Back
Top Bottom