Is Ultima 7 worth it?

I recently played this game. I didn't really like it. Hated the character system and combat. Maybe it's cause I never got on the main quest. I solved the murder and went to Britannia, and didn't really know what to do after that. Seems like you have to join the fellowship or something which seems odd since they're so obviously batshit crazy and working for the Guardian. Anyways I explored the entire world, that was fun and went through every cave I could but after that lost interest in the game. The world seems so small and it didn't take long to explore. I've heard that this open world was so much more superior to Morrowind, but I'm not seeing it.

@Thrasher
Your companions running away dropping their loot is working as intended. They designed it that way. Also, rings of regeneration disappear after a certain amount of time of being equipped. I learned that the hard way.

Ah, thanks for the heads up on the ring of regeneration!

Also, I found out if I set the combat option to "berserk", party members won't drop things.

Last edited:
re: Didn't know what to do.

That is a common criticism of the game going way back to its original time. I think it's fair enough if you are expecting a game to guide you but this one really doesn't. It gives you little nudges here and there but when people say they don't know what to do, I say that's the point. You can do anything.

There's lots and lots to do and it really is a game of exploration that simulates an entire world and populates it with interesting characters who all have their own things to do. It definitely won't tell you 'Go to A, then now to B, then now to C' etc so if you want that sort of game it is not for you, however you might try Ultima 7 part II which is a separate stand alone game and has a much more structured and linear main quest.

Actually all in all you can say there are 4 parts, these four parts togheter are quite huge.

re: Didn't know what to do.

That is a common criticism of the game going way back to its original time. I think it's fair enough if you are expecting a game to guide you but this one really doesn't. It gives you little nudges here and there but when people say they don't know what to do, I say that's the point. You can do anything.

There's lots and lots to do and it really is a game of exploration that simulates an entire world and populates it with interesting characters who all have their own things to do. It definitely won't tell you 'Go to A, then now to B, then now to C' etc so if you want that sort of game it is not for you, however you might try Ultima 7 part II which is a separate stand alone game and has a much more structured and linear main quest.

Yeah, you really have to keep a notebook of your quests so you know what to do. It's very easy to forget who you are supposed to go find next, especially if you engage in some of the side-quests. On one hand, when playing games like BG2 or NWN2, I missed the notebooks I used to fill when playing cRPG's, but going back to them, I REALLY miss the ease of referencing a quest journal.

Ultima 7 is one of the best crpgs of all time. It was revolutionary and in quite a few ways is still unmatced.

Back
Top Bottom