John Carpenter...

I assume this is about sports? ;)

I thought it couldn't get any worse than Descent and The Thing 2011!!!

The Descent was a stupid movie, but I can think of worse things than watching six hot woman getting lost in a cave and climbing all over each other.

There are plenty of crap horror movies out there; I thought this was pretty good. It certainly isn't 'great' but it doesn't suck either.

Last edited:
My problem with The Descent is how it started as a semi-intriguing drama,
though the way the small girl died was an obvious shock-the-audience cheap trick
and became the most implausible superhero mindless zombie action film.

Maybe I'm just grumpy? ;)

Hear, hear! Ohio State football rulez!!! Cheeers!!! The best football team ever!!!

pibbur - it's football, but not as we know it

To the folks bashing The Thing (2011)... did you actually see it? I've never seen such a sequel/prequel pay such homage before. Its a good flick. And Decent was awesome.

I thought the new Thing wasn't bad. It was suspenseful and reminiscent of the original. However, if I had to point out one thing that dampened it for me, it was the excessive use of CGI. Why do so many movies of today feel they have to stuff themselves with CGI rather than hearken back to what makes suspense so engaging... the unknown!

The Decent was a good movie. People just like to bitch so they can look cool on message boards. :) Ohio State the greatest school ever woot woot and now we have Urban Meyer. Sucks for you Buckeye hater. BTW I would have to say the Thing and Escape from New York are my two favorites of John Carpenter.

Fast story on Prince of Darkness. Saw it at the movies when we were in high school. My buddy snuck in a bunch of powdered donuts. He had them in his hands when something scared the crap out of him and next thing I know we are covered in powder sugar. :) Also, everyone sitting next to us was covered in powder sugar hehe,

I thought the new Thing wasn't bad. It was suspenseful and reminiscent of the original. However, if I had to point out one thing that dampened it for me, it was the excessive use of CGI. Why do so many movies of today feel they have to stuff themselves with CGI rather than hearken back to what makes suspense so engaging… the unknown!

Ok... you realize that Syskel and Ebert (the popular reviewer in 1982) called The Thing a barf bag of gore? Not exactly Hitchcock off camera suspense there...

I thought the new Thing wasn't bad. It was suspenseful and reminiscent of the original. However, if I had to point out one thing that dampened it for me, it was the excessive use of CGI. Why do so many movies of today feel they have to stuff themselves with CGI rather than hearken back to what makes suspense so engaging… the unknown!

Don't diss CGI until you've watched Game of Thrones on HBO.

http://www.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/

State of the art and breathtaking.

I completely agree about the CGI. Despite that it was well done, it was used a bit too much and definitely a lot more than what they had claimed in previews. Still, I thought the overall effort was admirable, and I enjoyed the movie for what it was. I thought they did a great job with the multi-national cast.

No JDR13 made the post about sports just as he's crawling back into his hole in the ground after Ohio State hired Urban Meyer.

Yeah… we'll see. Meyer will be 0-2 vs Michigan after Nov 24th next season. :)

Is CGI a prequel to CSI? Will we see CGI Miami, CGI Detroit, etc? :D

These anti CGI comments makes no sense as a criticism of the 2011 "The Thing". The 1982 version was full of special effects and everyone liked it? I for one am glad they didn't repeat the stop motion and puppet effects, it was a mixed bag to say the least.

I do critique the 2011 film for having weak characters compared to Carpenters though.

I completely agree about the CGI. Despite that it was well done, it was used a bit too much and definitely a lot more than what they had claimed in previews. Still, I thought the overall effort was admirable, and I enjoyed the movie for what it was. I thought they did a great job with the multi-national cast.

Yeah… we'll see. Meyer will be 0-2 vs Michigan after Nov 24th next season. :)

You defeated Ohio State for the first time in 8 years, and you're already running your gaping maw making predictions. Enjoy your win, because from here on out, Meyer is going to run up the score on UM because he's not a gentleman like Tressel was.

Back
Top Bottom