KB: Warriors of the North - Preview @ Worthplaying

Bolo was inhabited by fur clad warriors with nordic names, who worship norse gods, talk about valkyries, and ride in longships looting and pillaging. Yeah clearly calling them vikings is grasping at straws.

As for misrepresenting the truth, you just have to do the most basic research to see that Skyrim was known to be the next Elder Scrolls game all the way back in 2006. There was even an official announcment about it. Not that this is remotely the point of any of the discussion of course.

I never did either. fadedrc is grasping at straws.

Not only that, he's misrepresenting the truth. AP was released in 2009, 1 year before the first public announcement of Skyrim in 2010.

Do you have a link to this "basic research" that said Skyrim was going to be the next Elder Scrolls in 2006?

Which norse Gods are you referring to? What references to valkyries?

For Bolo Loki featured strongly in a side quest, and I think there was reference to Odin, but that part I could be wrong about. For valkyries the vikings (sorry I mean "nordic warriors") at the hall of champions claim that as a female warrior you must think that your one of the valkyries.

As for Skyrim though, it's my turn to be wrong. Skyrim was conceptualized in 2006, that much you can see on the company website. But I was wrong about their being an official announcment about it, It looks like I misunderstood something that I read.

Do you have a link to this "basic research" that said Skyrim was going to be the next Elder Scrolls in 2006?

Which norse Gods are you referring to? What references to valkyries?

For Bolo Loki featured strongly in a side quest, and I think there was reference to Odin, but that part I could be wrong about.

I don't remember that at all.

For valkyries the vikings (sorry I mean "nordic warriors") at the hall of champions claim that as a female warrior you must think that your one of the valkyries.

That sounds vaguely familiar. But just a reference to the valkyries doesn't make the game all about Vikings.

More importantly, Bola was a VERY VERY small part of Armored Princess, unlike the new game whose whole focus is Vikings, apparently.

I believe Loki was posessing an axe if that refreshes your memory. As for the rest, I never said the game was all about vikings, just that they had a significant presence. They had one island out of 13, which was as many as the undead, demons and goblins had, and viking longboats and troops were fairly common on the other islands. They weren't as important as the elves or dwarves, but they were up there with a lot of the other races in terms of having a presence in the game.

I don't remember that at all.

That sounds vaguely familiar. But just a reference to the valkyries doesn't make the game all about Vikings.

More importantly, Bola was a VERY VERY small part of Armored Princess, unlike the new game whose whole focus is Vikings, apparently.

I wouldn't call the presence significant. Since few can even remember it.

What is significant is that the new game is focused on Vikings. And that announcement comes after the Skyrim.

Hmm....I disagree that few remember it. So far we only know that you can't. But I doubt that this is something we are going to see eye to eye on, so I'm inclined to just drop the argument at this point. We are both looking forward to the new KB game, who is right about whether the game is ripping off Skyrim isn't really that important.

I wouldn't call the presence significant. Since few can even remember it.

What is significant is that the new game is focused on Vikings. And that announcement comes after the Skyrim.

Hmm….I disagree that few remember it. So far we only know that you can't. But I doubt that this is something we are going to see eye to eye on, so I'm inclined to just drop the argument at this point. We are both looking forward to the new KB game, who is right about whether the game is ripping off Skyrim isn't really that important.

Well "you" didn't remember it. It is small part of the original game. That can't be denied. And now one else has ps=oemn up to defend your position... So...

But it was done before Skyrim was announced, so it doesn't really matter.

Are you guys finished now? :)

I wonder what WotN is going to have as far as battle options. Specifically, I'm curious what's going to replace the Rage Box from The Legend and the pet dragon from Armored Princess. That area of the UI looks blank in all the screenshots I've seen so far.

Hehe not one to let an argument drop are you? Your persistant I will give you that.
I'm not going to bother addressing your first paragraph, but just to be clear you do realize that I was being sarcastic when I said that maybe Armored Princess was made to prepare for Skyrim don't you? I suppose sarcasm does often translate poorly on the internet.

Well "you" didn't remember it. It is small part of the original game. That can't be denied. And now one else has ps=oemn up to defend your position… So…

But it was done before Skyrim was announced, so it doesn't really matter.

Haha sorry, as far as I'm concerned we are finished :).

My impression from earlier announcements was that the valkyries would replace the rage box and dragon. This current article says the valkyries are companions like wives from KB1, but I think (hope?) that they may be confused about that point. I'm hoping for a return of something more like the spirits of rage and less like the dragon.

Are you guys finished now? :)

I wonder what WotN is going to have as far as battle options. Specifically, I'm curious what's going to replace the Rage Box from The Legend and the pet dragon from Armored Princess. That area of the UI is blank in all the screenshots I've seen so far.

I'm hoping for a return of something more like the spirits of rage and less like the dragon.

I'm with you 100% on that. I thought the pet dragon concept was just silly, and it didn't help that it looked like something out of a Disney cartoon. That's the main reason I preferred the first game over Armored Princess, despite really liking the new units that were introduced in the latter.

I also didn't care much for the way AP was comprised almost entirely of islands. I want to see them go back to having 3-4 large continents with a few islands sprinkled in.

The idea that the developers started doing a Norse theme because they heard about the next TES game being similar, years before its release, is absolutely ludicrous to me.

The idea that the developers started doing a Norse theme because they heard about the next TES game being similar, years before its release, is absolutely ludicrous to me.

I agree, and I don't think that such sentiments give fair credit to these developers. And is it really fair to call any new viking/norse themed game a Skyrim cash-in now? Does this mean that no one can ever use a viking/norse them ever again?

There's really not very many Norse-themed games around - in fact, Skyrim is the only one I can think of in the past few years, and even Skyrim isn't really that Norse; it operates under the Elder Scrolls' own lore, where the Nords draw (very) minor inspiration from viking mythology but not in a direct way. As such, I find this Norse-inspired theme a refreshing new take on a fantasy setting.

I also liked the mechanics of the box better, how each individual spirit gained experience seperately and they all had their own cooldowns. With the dragon, if an ability had a cooldown of more then one turn it was a huge disincentive to use it. With the spirits, the different spirits encouraged more variety in your use of powers.

I think I agree that I liked the gameplay flow better in Legend. It also maintained a more consistant difficulty. On the other hand I thought that the individual units, spells, and hero abilities were much better designed in Armored Princess.

I'm with you 100% on that. I thought the pet dragon concept was just silly, and it didn't help that it looked like something out of a Disney cartoon. That's the main reason I preferred the first game over Armored Princess, despite really liking the new units that were introduced in the latter.

I also didn't care much for the way AP was comprised almost entirely of islands. I want to see them go back to having 3-4 large continents with a few islands sprinkled in.

Warriors Of The North is one of the few games I really look forward to.

Back
Top Bottom