Knights of the Chalice II - Development Update

Nice to see Pierre is loosening his Fist of Tightness on some of this information. I think the first game's biggest (only?) downfall was the complete lack of marketing.

I personally preferred the super simple sprites from KotC to the tiles, but I don't think anything is going to change graphically for Kotc2.

At this point, I'm pretty confident KotC has run its course on sales from the website. Wish he would get it up on Steam for $5.

Didn't the first KotC use D&D rules and classes?

It used WotC's open-source d20 platform, which also backed 3E back in the day.

As for the new graphics...gah. I expect I'll get used to them once I play the game, but I greatly prefer the style of the first game (even if I wish it were slight higher-res, more like Serpent in the Staglands).

Gah, so annoying, why can't he just hire a decent graphics designer, the gameplay in his games are really great, I would go so far as to say that with decent graphics he could become a major indie player and sell lots of copies… he could even go to kickstarter to fund the art development I guess….

Yeah, WTF. :/

These are not the graphics a KotC1 player would expect KotC2 would have.

I don't think I'm even gonna get this.

I don't understand. Did he steal his old graphics or something? Why isn't he just reusing everything and adding a little more to it?

Redone basic attacks? After this many years? These graphics?

I had a feeling KotC 1 was a massive fluke. It was far too good.

I mean, this is a huge step back from even Pool of Radiance where you could at least cycle thru a few awful heads and weapons and some kinda metrosexual CGA pink shirt.

He didn't steal the graphics or anything else for the original---there's just tremendously more Everything in the scope such that maintaining a uniformly consistent quality level from the old to the new alongside other considerations that probably would run afoul of the old engine/display limitations to boot.

I mean, in an ideal world, he'd have never had such a pressing angle of attack for the series in the first place---as there would've been a robust and lively tools and projects scene for the greater and lesser D&D (P&P) assortment. That didn't at all happen so much as the opposite, so he's having to hew his own rough road ahead in the wilds to try to make the level best of it even if that means not exactly orthodox moves.

Back
Top Bottom