Last game(s) you bought

Optimization definitely seems to be a lost art. Or at least rare at the flashier end of the spectrum.
Games that are poorly optimized at release is nothing new. Now, CPUs and GPUs are also more complex, more varied, and games have more graphics options, so that doesn't make things easier. But if it's just because of memory transfer, they may have been a little too ambitious. I wonder how they'll address that...

I'm not sure we should always assume a game that's hard to run at release is unoptimized. If it's cutting edge, I'd expect to need a high-end system to run it well. Of course I haven't seen DD2 in person yet, so I don't know if it's that impressive.

Capcom's more recent PC releases haven't had any issues with optimization, so I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

An app is unoptimized when it doesn't make full use of the resources it has available for the workload it is performing. Technically all apps are unoptimized to some degree, since they can't make full use of all the resources. We're running on a general purpose OS and on general purpose hardware. Can't make full use. So then it's a matter of what degree of unoptimization are we talking about. If you want more optimized games buy games on a console. There's a great chance of optimization on those.

Then there's the matter of what workload it is performing. How exactly can we know what it's performing and if there are better ways of doing it. Nothing is performed in a vacuum. It's always pros and cons. If you optimize something, you'll lose on something else. There is no free lunch.

All they can do is target a particular hardware line and make it run decently and look decently on that. As long as they're not lying in the system requirements, something being unoptimized is not really a worthwhile statement.
It would be worthwhile if it can't run decently (whatever that means) on the hardware they're listing as official requirements. Then you have a case.
But again, not really nailed in stone either. Everyone's general purpose OS and general purpose hardware will be running under different conditions. Again, for more certainty look into a console. On those the company has a lot more control on the execution environment.

If you want more optimized games buy games on a console. There's a great chance of optimization on those.
I don't have a console, but I that's what I thought a few years ago, when games were specifically designed for a console. These days, games are made to target PS5, Xbox, and PC at the same time, with the same code. Graphics engines like Unreal use that versatility as a selling argument (they even support mobile devices).

Here, the console versions of DD2 don't seem very performant.

So I don't believe this is always true today, except for games that are made for console first and ported to PC later, or when it's carefully optimized for console because, as you said, there's only one configuration to test.

Then there's the matter of what workload it is performing. How exactly can we know what it's performing and if there are better ways of doing it. Nothing is performed in a vacuum. It's always pros and cons. If you optimize something, you'll lose on something else. There is no free lunch.
It depends. Writing optimized code takes more time and skill, and it's more difficult to maintain later, so programs are often sub-optimal. There's almost always a solution to make it do the same task with less memory or less computing power, given enough time to think. There are tools to help with that, too (profilers). It can be a free lunch for us, but not always.

In this case, they have data to transfer when objects come within viewing distance. When too much of it happens at the same time, the CPU struggles. They could reduce the quality (number of objects, or details per object) or stage the objects by priority, spreading the traffic over longer periods of time.

It's just a typical scenario, I don't know if it's possible in this particular situation. I guess we'll hear more about that when it's released and in later patches.

My main point was that from the outside we're so far removed from the internals of both the game running, what, how and why it's doing what it's doing, and why those decisions were made or not made that saying it's unoptimized has no value.
And it sounds to me like it's more of a statement of feeling of disappointment that it's not running ideal for a subset of players.

What I would instead say is that some games are not written to properly scale (up and down) with the hardware they're using.

An app is unoptimized when it doesn't make full use of the resources it has available for the workload it is performing. Technically all apps are unoptimized to some degree, since they can't make full use of all the resources. We're running on a general purpose OS and on general purpose hardware. Can't make full use. So then it's a matter of what degree of unoptimization are we talking about.
I feel like you're overthinking this ... if a game cannot achieve a solid locked 30FPS for the ENTIRE GAME on a computer meeting the minimum hardware requirements using settings the game assigns based on detecting that hardware ... it is poorly optimized and broken. Likewise it should lock at at least 30FPS for medium settings on the recommended, and have a hardware target for 'max settings'.

It is about delivering an experience ... and when you have basically 99% of posts on reddit and social media about how the game runs like trash on top end hardware *on the game menu* ... you can be certain the game has FAILED to deliver that experience.

I feel like you're overthinking this ... if a game cannot achieve a solid locked 30FPS for the ENTIRE GAME on a computer meeting the minimum hardware requirements using settings the game assigns based on detecting that hardware ... it is poorly optimized and broken. Likewise it should lock at at least 30FPS for medium settings on the recommended, and have a hardware target for 'max settings'.

It is about delivering an experience ... and when you have basically 99% of posts on reddit and social media about how the game runs like trash on top end hardware *on the game menu* ... you can be certain the game has FAILED to deliver that experience.
Oh, ok. I didn't realize you were specifically using the official requirements to compare against. Then yeah, in that case you're right.
I don't know why I imagined you weren't speaking to the official requirements.

The specifications mention 30 FPS and possible frame drops, both for the minimum and recommended systems. The 30 FPS target here is laughable, but you can never expect any game to perform at the nominal framerate in all situations. It's just not realistic.

The game hasn't been released yet, so that's premature anyway. I also doubt that 99% of posts from people who actually ran the game say that it's trash - did you even see one?

Picked up BG3. I may go straight into it from CP, which is why I got it now rather than wait for the summer sale.

I had some steam credits sitting in my account, due to a bunch of refunds, and really didn't see anything worthwhile in my wishlist.
So I kind of deposited those for Stalker 2. Though that game, I still consider somewhat vaporware. Even if it finally does get released, I'm also preparing myself that it's gonna be a rough shape. But maybe with enough horsepower that can overcome and a good atmospheric game is found in there.

I just bought The Talos Principle.

3 bucks is a helluva deal. Been having fun with Shadow Tactics; perhaps my favorite thing about it is jumping in quick then solving a bit of puzzle then coming back to it later. Not sure if The Talos Principle can be similarly saved-scummed but I like a little tricky challenge every once in a while.

I just bought The Talos Principle.

3 bucks is a helluva deal. Been having fun with Shadow Tactics; perhaps my favorite thing about it is jumping in quick then solving a bit of puzzle then coming back to it later. Not sure if The Talos Principle can be similarly saved-scummed but I like a little tricky challenge every once in a while.
I was tempted to buy the bundle that included the sequel as well, but I figured I better try the original first.

Isn't Shadow Tactics a strategy game?

I was tempted to buy the bundle that included the sequel as well, but I figured I better try the original first.

Isn't Shadow Tactics a strategy game?
I think of it as a stealth tactics game. There is a strategy to it but it’s kinda puzzley to me. I guess I think of Command and conquer, Warcraft, StarCraft, etc when I say strategy but one does need to come up with a “strategy” so 🤷🏻‍♂️

Harold Halibut. An weird little adventure game. It's kind of charming, but you also need to be in the mood for these sorts of Monkey Island puzzle-adventure games.
The main menu music struck me from the first note. Annoyingly, you can't save anytime you want and it also doesn't allow rebinding of keys. Also, no mouse support.
It also has an interesting animation style, where I think it tries to mimic that stop-motion animation style.

Back
Top Bottom