Last game you finished, tell us about it

Your reviews are always enjoyable and informative - whether I agree with them or not.
Thanks for the compliment.

Which bits did you agree with and which didn't you?

I had a look back at other members who supplied a review to this game in this thread and Morandir's not review and they all had one thing in common, they all listed lots of things they didn't really like and then said awesome game, really enjoyed it.

But no-one was really saying what was keeping them interested. At least, not in any kind of detail.

Thanks for the compliment.

Which bits did you agree with and which didn't you?

I had a look back at other members who supplied a review to this game in this thread and Morandir's not review and they all had one thing in common, they all listed lots of things they didn't really like and then said awesome game, really enjoyed it.

But no-one was really saying what was keeping them interested. At least, not in any kind of detail.
I completely agree with the amount of encounters being tiring. They seem to be there without any actual logic behind it in many cases. I also thought there was too much exposition in the tavern and a few other places, where it seemed the writers don't realise how dialogue in real life works (i.e. it's between two people).

It didn't bother me as much as you but I agree with the sentiment. I actually felt the amount of builds 'reductive' (if that's the right word). There are so many, that they end up blending into one.

Normally, being a sorcerer is charisma based and a wizard is intelligence based. Well, in this game, the green sorcerer in intelligence based, the red sorcerer is charisma based and the blue sorcerer is wisdom based. The wizard all have equivalent ones too. You can be a barbarian, a mage barbarian or even a druid barbarian. To the point where the builds didn't make any real difference anymore. You could be anything and nothing.

I didn't think the itermisation was any good, but I thought it was bad in kingmaker too :D I actually found the change in pace in the kingdom combat quite welcome, but I just didn't think it was implemented very well.

Same as you I never finished the game :)

I finished Deadly Sin 1 today, all in all it's a fun game. They did some things really well, like having nodes to turn off to eliminate spawn in an area, if you didn't want to deal with them anymore. Certainly not a new concept yet this game did it really well. I'll likely not replay this one because of some timed events and areas that I didn't care for, though that's not going to deter me from sampling the second game in the series, which I'll likely start tomorrow.

A few days ago I finished Disco Elysium. I played it as a cop seeking for redemption, which worked quite well, but I have the feeling that I missed a lot of fun. I haven't even talked to me tie, which I've read is possible and which is a great idea. Maybe I replay it one day. As I've said earlier, the reactivity is amazingly well done, as well as the voice acting, so I'm curious how it plays as a bully cop with no empathy at all, thinking he's the superstar.

Finished Death in the Water 2. It's an action-adventure where you're a diver undertaking a series of ocean dives to explore, look for treasure, etc. There's also quite a lot of combat against various predators, and it has a mythical element as well.

It's a fun but very short game. I can't recommend it at full price unless you're a big fan of diving sims and the like. I grabbed it during the current sale and felt like I got my money's worth.

Just finished The Surge 2.
The nanite plague has infested Jericho City, the city has been walled off, and all sorts of cyborgs and nanite-infested abominations now occupy it. There are pockets of survivors, some of which have started a cult that worships the nanites (that they call it the "Spark"). Your passenger plane is hit by some sort of nanite swarm and it crashes in the city. Time to chop up some ne'er-do-wells on your way to working out WTF is going on!

For those not familiar, The Surge series is basically science fiction Dark Souls. Instead of resting and leveling at campfires you do it at med-bays. Instead of collecting Souls you collect Scrap. The level design is fairly tight, with lots of hidden areas and paths that to find that give you shortcuts back to a central hub. So far, so familiar to DS fans.

Where it differs is that to get better armour (rigs) and weapons you basically hack them off the enemy. This is a fun mechanic. See an enemy wearing something interesting or holding a cool looking weapon? Smack them in the arm until it reaches break-point, and then hack it off when prompted. You usually kill him or her or it (if it's a robot or nanite abomination), and get a template of the part of a rig that was there and any weapon they were holding. Want their helmet? Aim for the head. And so on.

As well as this there is an implant system and a drone that you can give various capabilities. As you level up you get more Core energy, meaning you can equip more implants, or more powerful implants. A big part of success is not just having the right sort of weapons and rig for your playstyle, but also the right implant combo for your build.

Some aspects are an improvement on the first game, some not.
There are more weapons, rigs, implants, upgrade options, damage types - this is all good.
Alas, they have changed the blocking system to be directional. I struggled with this, I just seem to lack the coordination. There was a part of the game where you had to fight large sword wielding robots and dodging wasn't really an option due to their sweeping reach. I forced myself to git gud and I eventually succeeded with the quest, but trying to do that with faster enemies? Nope. Luckily you can easily gear yourself toward lighter, faster builds, so for most of the game I relied on a dodging glass cannon build.

So is it any good?
Well, I liked it more than Dark Souls (oh no, blasphemy!). It's a little janky at times, but less so that DS1 or 2. And the setting is refreshingly different. And there is a plot that makes sense, if a little wacky.
I'd definitely play a The Surge 3 if it were made. Alas, the company made the badly received Atlas Fallen next. I guess after making 3 souls-likes (they also made the original Lords of the Fallen) they felt they needed a break.

[BTW, there's a New Game+ mode that adds some new stuff to the plot. You even get to take part in events before the plane crash (I guess it would have spoiled some of the mystery if they let you see it all before the first playthrough). So it's worth just starting a NG+ to see that. The particular ending I chose resulted in my dude having weird glowing eyes in NG+ for some reason. Groovy.]

So is it any good?
Well, I liked it more than Dark Souls (oh no, blasphemy!). It's a little janky at times, but less so that DS1 or 2. And the setting is refreshingly different. And there is a plot that makes sense, if a little wacky.
Thanks for the review!

Did you play with a controller or with K+M?

Fwiw, I happen to be playing The Surge 1 right now, and I'm using a controller (DualShock 4). I heard K+M works good too, and it shows the correct prompts regardless of what you use.

I'm enjoying it a lot, and I also think it's better than DS1.

Fwiw, I happen to be playing The Surge 1 right now, and I'm using a controller (DualShock 4). I heard K+M works good too, and it shows the correct prompts regardless of what you use.

I'm enjoying it a lot, and I also think it's better than DS1.
I think I saw a first impression video about that game (1 or 2, I don't remember), but I didn't really pay attention. I'll probably try it, once DS3 is completed.

Thanks for the review!

I played with K+M. As @JDR13 says for the first one, it apparently works fine with both, and because it's not a console port, there are no controller UI shenanigans when you're using K+M.

I have no idea how it compares to DS3 in feel, BTW. My understanding is that DS3 lifted it's game somewhat in terms of being much less janky than DS 1 or 2.

I have no idea how it compares to DS3 in feel, BTW. My understanding is that DS3 lifted it's game somewhat in terms of being much less janky than DS 1 or 2.
Yes, it's better, though not as good as Elden Ring. The labels are still only for controllers, but I don't even notice that any more, as I'm used to them. Some moves are hard to get right, like the kick/backflip that requires to hit both the forward key and the attack mouse button within a few ms, but forward must be hit first. I don't know who thought it'd be a good idea, nor do I care much, but I get parasitic backflips sometimes when I play because I need to move forward while attacking (I'm pretty sure I got some backflips without touching forward too). I died a few times because of that.

But in general, it's much better, and the UI is good, not the crappy style of DS/DS2.

i finally finished W40K rogue trader - it was surprisingly bug-free...I had one companion quest bug that I stopped for, but otherwise no probs. I did kill all xenos companions though - seems they were connected to quest issues. I think of the owlcat games I played, I found the last major battles the easiest? The last boss fight never threatened my party, and I didn't munchkinize them at all - took sensible feats, but some feats just work to well. I suppose you are supposed to be fearless and powerful, but after some mid-game difficulty, it then seemed to become a lot easier.
I enjoyed the setting, but in the end it didn't leave me as satisfied as I thought it would - and I think I preferred PF:WotR. This is odd, beause I wanted a W40K rpg for so long....

I think of the owlcat games I played, I found the last major battles the easiest? The last boss fight never threatened my party, and I didn't munchkinize them at all - took sensible feats, but some feats just work to well. I suppose you are supposed to be fearless and powerful, but after some mid-game difficulty, it then seemed to become a lot easier.
It definitely is easier, especially after the rebalancing patch they dropped quite recently. I went back to my old save and started playing again few days ago and noticed combats are significantly easier than it was before. I struggled with final boss fight in act 1 previously, this time I killed him without giving him a chance to destory any of the ships and none of my companions were down.

Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader
I finished this after around 140h, it was a so-so game but disappointing in many moments. My fault probably for being hyped, after the 2nd Pathfinder game which was fantastic, i had hopes for this and expected more, maybe the universe as well does not attract me. Overall feeling was inconsistency, i dont know how to say it, for me it felt like a bunch of stuff put together without a solid connection. The story is just plastered all over the place, they put that atrocious space combat too. I checked the steam stats, seems just 12% finished the game :ROFLMAO:
ps no orks? wtf

I wrapped up Deadly Sin two earlier today, I'd say it was a good improvement over the first game in the series. This one had less timed events and such, and the story was a bit more coherent, at least for me. I've played four or five games put out by this studio and enjoyed them all.

I played Persona 3 Reloaded since the beginning of February and completed it three times. I started a fourth run, but since Horizon Forbidden West is out, I will stop it for now. My time count is at 332 hours.

All in all I liked it very much, it is very similar in gameplay to Persona 5 Royal and uses the same engine. The engine makes a big difference, because I tried Persona 4 Gold earlier and stopped playing that because of the old engine (main problem: in P4 Gold you had to repeat long parts of the game after a reload, which is not the case in the new engine.) So I am hoping that they will also remake Persona 4 in the Persona 5 Royal engine. I never played the original Persona 3, but assume that the difference in engines is even bigger between P3 reload and P3 than between P3 Reload and P4 Gold.)

I simply love the contrast between the turn-based fighting in the shadow world and the adventure-like gameplay in the real world. Once you have enough of one of them, you change to the other.

I started with a playthrough in normal difficulty, which is fun to learn, how the game works. Then I played a New-Game-Plus on highest difficulty. An interesting feature of that was, that the amount of properties you take from the first playthrough depends on the difficulty level. On the highest level you only take cosmetic items from the first playthrough, so it is as hard as starting from scratch.

An experience I already made in P5 Royal was the same here: In the second playthrough I had so much experience in the gameplay that fighting monsters felt easier than in the first playthrough despite the higher difficulty level.

My third playthrough was another New-Game-plus on the lowest difficulty level in order to complete some achievements like maximizing all social links to other persons in the game. I had all steam achievements after that playthrough.

Compared to P5 Reload I would say that the story in P3 is nothing extraordinary, it is a simple "save the world " story. The story in P5, in particular the additional part added by Royal, felt much deeper, I compared it to Planescape Torment or Disco Elysium earlier.

So my resume would be: While Persona 5 royal is a "must-play" game in my eyes, Persona 3 Reload is "only" a "very fun" game. Looking back I had at least as much fun with it as with Baldur's Gate 3 (where I lost steam during my second playthrough). I would recommend it to everybody, who had fun with Persona 5 Royal.

I finished The Surge. It's a sci-fi soulslike, but I won't go into a detailed description because @Shagnak covers that a few posts above.

I enjoyed it a lot more than I was expecting. I initially wasn't sure how well souls-type gameplay would translate to that setting, but they pulled it off really well. (Technically, it's not the first sci-fi soulslike I've played if you count Jedi: Fallen Order as one).

I even liked the story which, for me, is rare when it comes to this genre. I wish I had played it sooner, but I think I wrote it off before because I didn't care for the studio's previous game.

Difficulty-wise, it wasn't as hard as I was expecting. I guess it's probably about average as far as soulslikes go, but I had seen people talk about how frustrating some of the bosses were for them. Other than the final boss, I didn't think any of the boss fights were very difficult at all.

The visuals and animations are top notch. The combat is also great, although it could have benefitted from a little more variety in the attacks. Overall, I'd say it's a must-play if you like the genre. I'd give it a solid 8.5/10

I've already purchased the sequel and will be playing that in the near future.

Back
Top Bottom