Last game you finished, tell us about it

url=http://www.gog.com/game/paper_sorcerer]paper sorcerer[/url]?

Not only never played but had never heard of. I really like the look -- but "you are the bad guy" games make me grumpy. For five bucks I'll probably try it in time, thanks.

Not only never played but had never heard of. I really like the look — but "you are the bad guy" games make me grumpy. For five bucks I'll probably try it in time, thanks.

You should try it. Paper Sorcerer is surprisingly good for an indie. Not quite on the same level as LoG, but it's a nice old-school dungeon crawl.

Paper Sorcerer has pretty mediocre level design and is somewhat too repetitive but it is sure fun to play.

Finally finished Risen 2. I think it took me about 60ish hours. I think it was a decent game but not good. I would rate it about 6 out of 10.

All the stuff you expect from PB game are there, good atmosphere, exploration, challenging combat etc. However the game felt very repetitive after the first couple of islands. I would have rated the game good and gave it 7/10 if the game finished after the first two islands! An island by itself was grate but all the islands actually felt the same, you were doing the exact same things on all the islands. There were no variety and they didn’t give you much reason or motivation (partly due to PB games not having good story etc) to care about the world, bit like Skyrim. I hate to say this but I was bored towards the end and had to force myself to finish the game.

I bought Risen 3 while playing Risen2 but not going to play it now. I think I need to take break before I can enjoy Risen 3.

Oh, I liked the pirate setting, something different to the usually medieval type settings and PB did their best to bring that pirate atmosphere out. I think I did felt like a 17th century pirate in the new world! I still prefer medieval setting to pirates but it’s nice to break things up once in a while.

I finished The Wolf Among Us. It has the exact same mechanics as the Walking Dead, meaning that don't expect any gameplay, just a bunch of buttons to click. It does have some interesting choices though.

The setting really got on my nerves at the beginning, but I was progressively drawn in, simply because of the intriguing "underground society of fables" setting. I read that the author of the comic intended it as a pro-Israel allegory in the Israel-Palestinian conflict, and upon consideration it does feel like it. The whole legendary characters who have fallen from grace and are now struggling to survive is surely refreshing in comparison to the Walking Dead, which by Season 2 is now starting to get pretty old.

It is definitely better than The Walking Dead Season 2. It also has some of the best art I've ever seen in any game. They've definitely used colors, along with lights and shadows fantastically.

Risen 3

Unfortunately, I kinda rushed through the last part of the game - as I have too many games I want to play right now, and I just wanted to finish it. I'd say it took me 45 hours or so, but I could easily have spent 60 hours if I hadn't been distracted and lost my focus. If only I'd started the game with more free time on my hands…

Played on Hard except for a few of the sea encounters, because I hated them so much - I just wanted them over with.

As others have mentioned, the one big problem with the game is the balance - which is usually not a big deal for me - but it was too blatant an issue in this game. Combat became way too easy before I'd gotten through half of it, and that's just not true to the PB spirit.

I do enjoy games that get easy after you've built a powerful character, but it has to be at a later stage.

But, if I look past that issue - the game was nearly perfect for what I want from a proper PB game. Exploration, immersion and variety in the environments are all top notch. The story was typical for PB, which means it was passable and it made sense, but it wasn't particularly engaging. I'm not sure why people have been bashing it so hard, though.

The dialogue was a bit weaker than the Gothics and the other Risens, and it had numerous examples of cringe-worthy cursing. That's unfortunate, because I usually really enjoy PB dialogue - as it tends to be refreshingly low-key and plausible.

The combat system was nice and I found my arsenal vastly improved from the other Risen games. Lots of spells and just enough abilities to have something to look forward to pretty much the entire game.

I played as a Demon Hunter and I found the mixture of powerful buffs and strong melee combat matched my playstyle nicely. Better still, I could easily see myself replaying this at least once - or even twice more, to see the other faction powers. I rarely feel like that just after completing a game, and it goes to show how well this aspect is done. The only minus in this area is that it doesn't seem like the story content will change from faction to faction, as you can do pretty much everything story related regardless of your choice.

Decent amount of enemies - and they all looked nice and animated well.

I more or less skipped exploring Tacarigua entirely, because I was in a hurry to get through it - but I explored the other islands pretty thoroughly. Of them all, I must say I prefer Taranis for its classic Gothic atmosphere. I particularly loved the forest area just outside the Guardian stronghold.

I would probably have preferred one large landmass, as the way they divided the islands made them seem too small. Especially when combined with the too-convenient quest markers. It didn't have enough of a sense of scope, even though the areas are CRAMMED with stuff to find.

There's something very wrong with playing a game like this with quest markers, but I couldn't help myself. I really hope there's going to be some kind of hardcore mod that changes some of that, though. The game is so rich in detail and exploration that it's a travesty to cheat your way to objectives.

I was reminded of Ultima Ascension here, because that game also had a small world that was designed to feel much larger. The illusion worked better back then, because we weren't used to open worlds. But the way some of the NPCs in this game referred to things being "far away" just made the whole thing somewhat of a failure in terms of size. If you combine all the islands, the game really is very big - but alone they don't quite accomplish the scope I want from an open world RPG.

Overall, though, it's most definitely the best Risen game - BY FAR. It's hard to say if it outdoes Gothic for me, but if I consider the amount of hours I'll get out of it - it should probably win the award for best PB game ever. Gothic was utterly amazing back upon release, but I clearly remember it didn't take me more than 25 hours to complete and I never felt the urge to replay it.

Risen 3 will give me 100 hours at least, and it has a vastly better character and combat system. The only thing Gothic has over Risen 3 is the balance - which I remember being nearly perfect.

I also have to mention how amazing the game looked, especially considering the ultra-smooth performance. I tweaked it to avoid the console LOD texture popping, and that's the only thing I really had a problem with. Definitely one of the most impressive open world games I've played - and PB are masters of streaming content. The way you smoothly enter and exit buildings, complete with lighting and atmosphere changes is just superb.

Even with a few significant flaws, I just can't help but think of this game as one of the best in the genre.

8.5/10

Would have been 9 if not for the balance problem, and that can be fixed easily through modding or possibly an expansion pack. I guess the former is more likely, though.

Risen 3
(steam say 140 hours, I think its more like 120)

It's a Pyranna Bytes open world RPG. It's got factions, day an night cycles and FLYING. (albeit as a Parrot). I went through my first run through as a Voodoo Pirate due to having the unlimited flying spell. This was one of my favorite features of the Might and Magic series and they included it in Risen 3. I hope PB keeps it for its upcoming games.

The game does have its issues however. The number one being an over relience on arcadey sequences with its boss monsters. While not as bad as the Risen 1, they are still annoying having them in my RPGs. Why did they feel their games would be improved with that addtion. The game also had some irratating video sequences. They use the same brutal combat sequence for killing baddies as they do challanging an ally. It makes no sense for an ally to get up after you slit his throat . . .

It make me ask the question, If your original template is the superior Gothic, what direction would you take to make the game better?

The game world is fairly large but needed a wider diversity of monsters. And it needed more regular human monsters/bad guys. (Remember the bandit caves in Gothic 2) The bullet shield was wortlhess becasue there simply aren't many baddies with guns. The cities needed more people and way way way more women. And while the game was mostly set in a carribean setting, I would have preferred a couple different climates. ( I admit a preference to snow)

The UI is horrible. It needs more tabs. Some of the screen inforamation has to be scrolled when there is no need to such a thing. And some of the Voodoo Pirate magic is stored as a weapon and not as a spell. Those items should have been sold as wands not spells.

Powergamers can easily have godly avatars by the mid game if they smartly allocate but since my avatars are usually well rounded (I allocate dumbly) I didn't achieve the near invulnerable status until the end game. Many powergames who achieved that early power, looked at the game as super easy. However that is "never" a problem with me because my main enjoyment of open world RPGS is exploration. And this game does have it. And couple open world exploration with flying and this game many times had me in RPG nirvana.

The moronic video combat sequences, the horrible UI and the far too many arcade sequences knock this game down a few notches. But the nicely implemented open world, the over all great voice acting, superior music all coupled with flying take away many of the flaws. I would rate this game 7.8 to 8.5.

There's something very wrong with playing a game like this with quest markers, but I couldn't help myself. I really hope there's going to be some kind of hardcore mod that changes some of that, though. The game is so rich in detail and exploration that it's a travesty to cheat your way to objectives.

Then just don't turn them on. ;)

I found that the in-game directions obtained through dialogue were almost always sufficient to find the objective. The only time I activated markers was for the treasure maps since it made sense given that the hero had an in-game map.

Anyways, I'm glad to see that there are other people here who enjoyed Risen 3 as much as me. I've never seen a game so unfairly criticized by the masses. I also give it a 8.5/10 and completely agree that it could have been a 9 if not for the combat balance.

it needed more regular human monsters/bad guys. (Remember the bandit caves in Gothic 2) The bullet shield was wortlhess becasue there simply aren't many baddies with guns.

Totally agree, and I mentioned something about that recently in another thread. The "Bulletproof" stat is badly underutilized due to so few encounters with human enemies. It's odd considering how important that stat was in Risen 2. I wonder if it perhaps has anything to do with the backlash against the pirate setting that came from a lot of people.

Then just don't turn them on. ;)

I found that the in-game directions obtained through dialogue were almost always sufficient to find the objective. The only time I activated markers was for the treasure maps since it made sense given that the hero had an in-game map.

Yes, it's true. I guess I just felt compelled to use the UI as I figured it was intended, but I later realised it was probably meant as an optional convenience. Mostly because I started noticing the NPCs giving directions some of the time.

It's like the teleporters, I guess. I can't NOT use such a thing when it's there - but given the relatively small size of the islands, they didn't exactly help give me a proper sense of travelling and scope.

For my next playthrough, I hope I have the discipline to play it differently. But I'm still hoping for a mod - but that would mostly be for balance issues.

Anyways, I'm glad to see that there are other people here who enjoyed Risen 3 as much as me. I've never seen a game so unfairly criticized by the masses. I also give it a 8.5/10 and completely agree that it could have been a 9 if not for the combat balance.

Well, I've seen plenty of games get bashed unfairly like this - and it's never a pleasant sight. I felt like this with ESO recently, for instance.

In the end, we just have to accept that not everyone likes the same thing - no matter how much we don't agree.

It doesn't help that a dunce like Angry Joe perpetuates ignorance about how this kind of game plays, either.

My main concern is the message it's sending to PB - and it can't be a great motivator to keep going in the same direction.

I was actually ready to write off PB, more or less, but Risen 3 certainly proved me wrong. With this, they're back on track - as far as I'm concerned.

I finished Wizardry 8 a few days ago, and it was a great deal of fun. I'd always heard it didn't live up to Wizardry 6 and 7 and being tied up with an mmo at the time, I'd simply never tried it for myself. What I found out is that sure, it's a different game than 6 and 7 were, but on its own it was a good experience. If you played the earlier ones, I'd really recommend giving Wizardry 8 a go….if you like old school toughies, this shouldn't disappoint ya.

And if you are getting bored there, I suggest plowing into the Rapax area at full speed. That'll be a sobering test for any group, lol.

Last of Us - Left Behind

Short and sweet. Every bit as good as the main game, with a ton of content crammed into a few hours. Still fantastic characters and fantastic dialogue. Still extremely moving. The gameplay remains solid - and there were a few cool setups, where you got to play smart as a fragile young girl - instead of being forced into head-on combat. The end fight was a bit too much, but I guess that's just how it goes.

One thing is for sure, I'll get the next Naughty Dog game no matter what it's called and what it costs.

Last of Us - Left Behind

Short and sweet. Every bit as good as the main game, with a ton of content crammed into a few hours. Still fantastic characters and fantastic dialogue. Still extremely moving. The gameplay remains solid - and there were a few cool setups, where you got to play smart as a fragile young girl - instead of being forced into head-on combat. The end fight was a bit too much, but I guess that's just how it goes.

One thing is for sure, I'll get the next Naughty Dog game no matter what it's called and what it costs.

Yeah, the end fight is just difficult as hell. I played it on hard difficulty (which is still 2 steps below survival and grounded, and I retried it at least 10 times). And it turned out, the secret was to be as aggressive as possible, and use the bow as much as possible since it doesn't take you out of stealth if they don't spot you and you're fast enough.

I loved how the dlc had events during the actual game, and the prequel parts. And I loved the mechanic they did in this one, of putting both hunters and infected in the same area, and letting you take advantage. They didn't do that in the main game.

And I loved all the references to things in the main game. The arcade game (which was very cool the way they implemented that, with Riley narrating a fighting game), and joke book, which Ellie pulls out at certain locations in the main game. Very cool stuff.

One thing is for sure, I'm not even gonna attempt to start/finish the dlc on grounded. I've taken the main game up to Colorado, but it's just way too hard and I don't have the patience anymore.

And about a possible sequel. I'd love it if they'd do it right. I'm both scared of them being forced to cash-in, but also enthusiastic of what could be. But Neil neil Druckmann would absolutely have to spearhead it. I've seen some interviews with him, and I love how mindful and responsible he is of every little thing they do. It's obvious it wasn't an accident that the game turned out as amazing as it has.

Since we're on the topic of The Last of Us… I just finished it as well.

Great game, though not without a few flaws imo.

The sequences during the Winter chapter where you took control of Ellie. The game was fantastic up until that point, but then it was as if they suddenly decided to throw plausibility out the window. So now I'm going to be a 14 year old girl who can single-handedly massacre dozens of armed men. Ok.

They should have forced you to take a stealthier approach during those sequences. At the very least, you shouldn't be able to take out enemies as easily as if you were still controlling Joel.

I was also a bit let down by the final level. It wasn't terrible, but I thought it felt somewhat simple and rushed compared to the rest of the game.

The vast majority of the experience was wonderful though. As I stated earlier, I think it's the most convincing post-apocalyptic world I've ever seen in a game.

It was also longer than what I was expecting from this kind of game, but I agree that the length was close to perfect.

I wasn't sure what to think of the ending at first, but I like that they didn't give the player a choice like I was expecting them to.

8.5/10

And yeah.. I'd love a sequel, but please don't make Ellie the main protagonist.

Last edited:
Well, it's a video game :)

As Joel, you also take down literally hundreds of armed men without breaking much of a sweat - and you can stand up fine after being saturated with bullets. He's a bigger bad-ass than Batman, and he doesn't have armor or a Batmobile ;)

If you think about it - the whole concept of a one-man army is absolutely ridiculous - but that's the kind of thing you have to swallow to enjoy games.

She's a smart and resourceful girl - so I don't see the big problem. But, then again, I'm sort of conditioned to accept implausible stuff like that in shooters. She's been trained in nothing but combat for a year or so - following Joel around and helping him. That was enough for me, really.

That said, I seem to remember the game "motivating" you to use the bow with Ellie - and if used as a stealth weapon, it's extremely powerful. I did that most of the time, IIRC.

I guess I'd never expect to hear an experienced gamer complaining about being implausibly powerful in a shooter ;)

I didn't hear you have a problem with this in Tomb Raider? Despite the girl in question being absolutely new to the concept of combat. She survived a ship-wreck - and then she's Rambo. That game also tried to come off as a somewhat serious tale of hardship.

Anyway, glad you enjoyed the game.

Oh, btw, I watched an interview with Naughty Dog recently. They specifically stated they intended LoU to serve as the introduction of a new hero: Ellie.

So, there's little doubt she's going to be the main protagonist in the next LoU game.

Ah.. so now it's just a "shooter"? ;)

That's ok. I was fully expecting those sort of rationalizations when I wrote that. I know it's hard to accept when someone else has less of an opinion about something that you hold in high regard.

Oh, btw, I watched an interview with Naughty Dog recently. They specifically stated they intended LoU to serve as the introduction of a new hero: Ellie.

So, there's little doubt she's going to be the main protagonist in the next LoU game.

I can't tell if you're being serious here or not. That's disappointing for me at least if that's true.

Back
Top Bottom