Fallout 3 My Fallout 3 Thoughts...

Id like to add sneak attack in VATS with the shotgun., seeing all the pellets was an incredible moment for me

Gore got on my nerves after a while, head shots blowing off peoples legs? I would have liked more splatter from the head alone, not having the head look like it was attacked by a guillotine.

I was disappointed by it, the world felt dull, same colors everywhere (i know, apocalyptic wasteland, what did i expect?) and same enemies killed the same way, but VATS was a brilliantly brilliant idea and i hope ever so much it gets incorporated into other ideas. Getting to que up commands and watch them in a mini-cinematic sequence? incredible. I kept playing just to see stuff get shot again using vats and fall asleep dreaming of games which allow me to watch the entire party run around and shoot people like i told them to with great camera angles.

EDIT: oh yeah, and the shooter aspects blew, but it never occurred to me to look for mods fixing it, the whole oblivion total conversion thing disappointed me.

Last edited:
VATS = Brilliant ? Never though I would see that outside of your typical Beth. forum cesspool. More like SHITS actually. That "feature" is simply horrible and I hope no one dares implement anything remotely similar.

VATS = Brilliant ? Never though I would see that outside of your typical Beth. forum cesspool. More like SHITS actually. That "feature" is simply horrible and I hope no one dares implement anything remotely similar.

*faints*

whats your issue with it?

VATS made total sense. I am just surprised no one came up with it earlier.

*faints*

whats your issue with it?

Well, other than it having no real value as a gameplay mechanic and it being purely a gimmick (and an annoying one at that), nothing.

I thought Fallout 3 was a pretty good accomplishment considering how hard it is to take a cult franchise like Fallout with huge expectations of fanbase, and transform it into a 3d rpg/shooter while keeping most of the original ambience.

IMO FO3 is a proper RPG/shooter, as opposed to ME2 which is considerably more of a basic level shooter.

I also thought the VATS system was an excellent way to implement the old FO1/2 turn based combat in a modern RPG/shooter.

On the whole i liked FO3 alot, and im getting itchy to have another playthrough with some new mods.

Well, other than it having no real value as a gameplay mechanic and it being purely a gimmick (and an annoying one at that), nothing.

A gimmick? Its basically the same system as used in FO1/2, just from a different perspective. So if VATS is a gimmick then so was the combat system in the original Fallouts.

I thought it was a really innovative way to maintain some consistency in game design and style, and it made all the shooting much more interesting for gamers like myself who do like some TB combat.

I think there wasn't anything TB in VATS,during my playthrough I never had to calculate the APs while in Fallout 1&2 a singe AP could make the difference.
VATS was more like a built in cheat in the game.

A gimmick? Its basically the same system as used in FO1/2, just from a different perspective. So if VATS is a gimmick then so was the combat system in the original Fallouts.

I thought it was a really innovative way to maintain some consistency in game design and style, and it made all the shooting much more interesting for gamers like myself who do like some TB combat.

VATS is not TB.

@ Coldcall

"I thought it was a really innovative way to maintain some consistency in game design and style, and it made all the shooting much more interesting for gamers like myself who do like some TB combat."

If you were to like some, like, turn based combaty combat you would totally know a combat system needs to have TURNS before being, say, Turn Based, or did you thought the name was just for, like, show, nya?

Maybe the innovation was, like, in having a Turn-less Turn Based System, nya nya. :rolleyes:

The land of fairies and pretty witches, nya!
I thought Fallout 3 was a pretty good accomplishment considering how hard it is to take a cult franchise like Fallout with huge expectations of fanbase, and transform it into a 3d rpg/shooter while keeping most of the original ambience.

This is actually a pretty good summary of FO3.

It's a better game than what a lot of the so-called "hardcore RPG fans" will give it credit for. Of course it has flaws, just like every game does, but it's a fun, immersive experience for people who like to explore sandbox type games.

Oh, you're so witty Ms. Kitty. Here, I think I have some kitty treats for you.

If by "what it is" you mean a 'first-person, sandbox RPG' then yes, I do think it's good.

Yeah, it's good for what it is. A piece of shit. Most current mainstream games are like that though, so it's all good.

@ JDR13

"If by "what it is" you mean a 'first-person, sandbox RPG' then yes, I do think it's good."

Sandbox RPG? Fallout 3 is as much of a role playing game as Borderlands. And Borderlands is, like, actually fun for what it is. Fallout 3 is no role playing game, is a failure of a first person shooter: Your stats and skills do nothing at all. Your choices do nothing at all. The writing is awful, the game is so stupid they had to retcon themselves out of the corner they wrote themselves into. Amazing game, nya?

Bloody hell, Hard Nova did the sandbox role playing game orders of magnitude better than Fallout 3 did, and we are talking 1990 here, nya. :rolleyes:

@ Melcar

Stop messing with the kitty if you don't want to be, like, scratched.

@ JDR13
Sandbox RPG? Fallout 3 is as much of a role playing game as Borderlands. And Borderlands is, like, actually fun for what it is. Fallout 3 is no role playing game, is a failure of a first person shooter: Your stats and skills do nothing at all. Your choices do nothing at all. The writing is awful, the game is so stupid they had to retcon themselves out of the corner they wrote themselves into. Amazing game, nya?.

Sure, except that not everyone feels the same way. Not saying that you're not welcome to an opinion, as long as you realize that's all it is. I also found the writing to be pretty bad, and the combat left a lot to be desired as well. I enjoyed the game for the exploration though, not for the writing or the skills.

@ JDR13

Like, totally. Everyone's entitled to an opinion, even when that opinion is totally wrong, no matter how you look at it. If the writing is bad and the combat is awful, then what does the exploration gives you? You either find a dungeon with hostiles, cue combat, or a quest, cue writing. So Fallout 3 is good for what it is because the way to get to the awful parts is actually well done and involving? Allow me to not understand, nya.

@ JDR13

"I don't think there's any other choice."

I'll take it as I really like the game but can't find a reasonable argument as to why, if you don't mind. But remember, kids: Bad taste is not only reasonable, but also comprehensible, and pretty common too so there's nothing to be ashamed of. And nya, too.

Back
Top Bottom