new vid card

Don't buy a NoName PSU. Their quality is too unpredicatble. There are several solid brands in 40-50€ price range. Whatever that translates to in the US. I always liked BeQuiet, but other brands aren't objectively worse.

Which is why I've been digging through the unending hordes of PSUs for about an hour. I've had bad luck out of Coolmax, but I'm trying to remember the others I've used. CURSE YOU REED RICHA... er FAULTY MEMORY!

Newegg, of course! Silly human! :p I've had excellent luck out of Newegg before.

$160 when all is said and done for the card, gotta order a PSU as well so that'll set me back a bit more. I'm looking at those now.

Ah..ok. I was going to suggest you consider that GTX 560 ti if the price was close, but that's a $90 difference.

As for PSUs, I'd recommend Corsair as a brand to consider.

+10 for BeQuiet - I`ve got a 450W model running my Q6600 and HD 4870 - which has "minimum 500W PSU required" - with no problems.

Which boils down to another smokescreen - what you want to pay attention to, PSU wise, is the wattage on 12V rail. It`s a bit like megapixels on cameras - the main wattage number can be deceiving...

So I`d check the 12V opinions/requirements for the card you`ve chosen and then comparing it to the PSU you got your eyes on (unless it`s a really good brand & you`ve got lots of overhead when calculating systems wattage vs the PSU.)

Their homepage lists a couple of online-shops and local retailers. Seems to be very limited distribution though.

Their homepage lists a couple of online-shops and local retailers. Seems to be very limited distribution though.
Even in my country, Portugal, it's not easy to find. It's a pity. Besides the quality, their customer support is great.

Antec, PC Power & Cooling, Sparkle, Thermaltake PSU's.

Personally, I've never trusted all these memory manufacturers who've turned to PSUs'.

Personally, I've never trusted all these memory manufacturers who've turned to PSUs'.
You mean Corsair? They are made by Seasonic and by CWT, which means, top quality. But usually the HX series are better than the TX, at least is what I've read in several forums.
A good site for PSU reviews and witha good tutorial about what we really need to know about PSUs.
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/181

Back
Top Bottom