No Man's Sky definetly on PC

Wait, ASA is investigating a small company and will try to punish that small company for things big companies do without any question?
What, small companies can't afford expensive lawywers for court cases?
If Hello gets hit hard by this it could make a big impact on how companies market their games.
Not sure in this.
Did anyone investigate AC:Unity? Or Batman:Arkham Knight? Or stupid PS3 ports to PC by Konami although the audience expected better graphics that exists on PS4 in PES games?

The whole idea of ignoring big players and investigating small companies stinks.
Not that I'm defending NMS, I don't even have the game (yet), but this is ridiculous.

Wait, ASA is investigating a small company and will try to punish that small company for things big companies do without any question?
What, small companies can't afford expensive lawywers for court cases?

Not sure in this.
Did anyone investigate AC:Unity? Or Batman:Arkham Knight? Or stupid PS3 ports to PC by Konami although the audience expected better graphics that exists on PS4 in PES games?

The whole idea of ignoring big players and investigating small companies stinks.
Not that I'm defending NMS, I don't even have the game (yet), but this is ridiculous.

A few points.

NMS, some would say, pushed the "illegal/misinformation marketing" to a new level. I'm not that familiar with AC:Unity or Batman games, but I'm pretty sure the level to which NMS did not meet their marketing expectations is much, much higher.

NMS would be the first to get hit with this sort of investigation, that is true. And if the investigation finds out that Hello Games did in fact market their game illegally, it's going to set a precedent going forward for all games that follow it. I.e. "You will not get away with illegal marketing anymore."

IMO, it seems like NMS could be "the last straw" in this sort of marketing behavior. Yes, it's been going on for awhile in various ways, and gamers have complained and complained about it, but this could be the one time that some action is actually taken. If it is successful, even big publishers and companies are going to think twice about potentially illegal marketing in the future.

As for Hello Games being a "small company", they also had big exposure and help from Sony, which helped build the hype machine. All the devs on the team had experience in the gaming industry as well.

How is it too late for promotional material? Lots of games update their store page throughout the life of the app.

NMS, some would say, pushed the "illegal/misinformation marketing" to a new level.
And they would be wrong.

IMO, it seems like NMS could be "the last straw" in this sort of marketing behavior. Yes, it's been going on for awhile in various ways, and gamers have complained and complained about it, but this could be the one time that some action is actually taken. If it is successful, even big publishers and companies are going to think twice about potentially illegal marketing in the future.
Awhile? This has been going on since always, in every industry. How about all that food you see in advertisements, for instance? White meat that looks like snow? Sauces *perfectly* distributed? Maybe use a short actor and few visual references to make it look like the portions are bigger?

What's illegal are flat out lies in the promotional material. (Except if you are in the USA and you call your product a food supplement - but that's another topic.) Statements made about what is "planned" before the product is released aren't going to cut it.

As for Hello Games being a "small company", they also had big exposure and help from Sony, which helped build the hype machine. All the devs on the team had experience in the gaming industry as well.
So? It's still only about a dozen people, if I remember right.

You don't have to convince me as I'm not the one conducting the investigation, lol. I just find it an interesting thing to observe.

The crowdfunded scene usually use game engines to promote their project.
They also stepped up the game: instead of using game engines directly, they use tech demos to promote what could be their game engine features.

For some projects, nearly three years after release, the product is of course not yet a game but the released game engines are still far from featuring what was shown in the tech demos they used to promote their KS.

Awhile? This has been going on since always, in every industry. How about all that food you see in advertisements, for instance? White meat that looks like snow? Sauces *perfectly* distributed? Maybe use a short actor and few visual references to make it look like the portions are bigger?

Except that food presentation is commonly admitted to be tied to the cook skill level.

For video products, as long as the customer has the required specs, the product should show similar on all PCs.

http://www.slashgear.com/no-mans-sk...y-we-should-stop-pre-ordering-games-15451789/

Posted this link before but it's pretty pertinent to this thread I think. :D

Actually that article is a bit of miss when it comes to PC.
NMS got released on garbageware 3 days before coming onto PC. We had enough time to decide on preordering in those 3 days.
In my case, and I did plan to preorder it, after reading from c64/ZXspectrum audience that it's openworld with checkpoints and not PC standard of save anywhere (outside combat), I decided not to preorder it.
Wasn't aware yet that the game has some other problems (tedious tetris inventory, abyssmal postearlygame repetitiveness and undelivered promises), thankfully just one irritating design decision was enough to save me from regretting later.

Actually, the best reason to avoid pre-ordering this game turned out to be that the pre-order bonus (a nicer ship available at game start) actually turned out to be a detriment as it jacked up the whole Atlas quest/tutorial! That's pretty amazingly horrible marketing.

Anyway, PC Gamer actually talked to some lawyer folks about what this could mean: http://www.pcgamer.com/nms-lawyers/

3065.png

right?

That's a LOT of bug fixes!

More to come sounds good. Maybe I can go back to my favorite planet and build a base next year some time.

Well, I'm glad I didn't do that. With the 1.3 update, they re-seeded the whole universe. That changed the planets around a ton. A lot of bases are buried inside mountains now. People need to move to another planet to reset them and even then there are issues.

Tons have changes have shown up since I started playing. I would say its the equivalent of two or three expansion packs in most games and they've been completely free.

• You can now play in 'survival' mode which makes the game harder and cost more. There's also a perma-death option if you're really crazy.
  • You can no longer get your ship destroyed by trying to land and ending up in the mouth of a cave. In the old version, your ship promptly launched itself into the cave roof and kept smashing in to it until destroyed.
  • You can build bases. Pretty nice ones from what I've seen online but obviously that will require massive grinding. Making a simple base is cheap & easy. It's good on the psyche, too, as you can build storage units around it for storing elements up instead of grinding for them when you need them and selling the rest off.
  • There's a few actual quests. When you get a base, you can hire 4 NPCs and those will each give you a series of quests that result in lots of new blueprints.
  • Blueprints aren't lying around everywhere now. The little knowledge pylons aren't, either, and plutonium is rarer.
  • There are multiple ship types now. It used to be that a ship was a ship was a ship - all that mattered was how many inventory boxes it had. Now ships have specializations and grades.
  • Your multi-tool gun… thing has grades and bonuses, too.
  • You can buy freighters. Naturally, those things have big cargo holds for storing stuff in. You can also store ships there.
  • You can trade in your ship for a new one instead of just leaving it behind on some landing pad.
  • Graphics are improved. A bit.
  • Camera mode! One that actually lets you move the sun around to get just the right lighting!
  • Vehicles are in the game. Might be handy for some mining operations? They drive like the Mako in ME1.

The MP is just a tiny speck actually. Existing but not really worth it at the moment. They say they will go on working on that.

The game is worth it now if you like 70-80 SF, exploration, space games. I was utterly disappointed at the launch and now I am really enjoying my time.

Not into this, but have to give them credit, could have easily pulled out after that fiasco.
What's Murray's status? Is he a hero, or still a villain?

0.jpg

The add on has not raised many notorious streamers so far. Only BurkeBlack answered the cal.

Same as for Conan.

In the meantime rpgs like Observer is released and this site remains quiet about it.

Observer is an adventure game.

That said, I'm surprised no one has talked about it yet.

The add on has not raised many notorious streamers so far.
I think people on PC have better things to do than watching streams. Like modding NMS for example.

Observer is an adventure game.

That said, I'm surprised no one has talked about it yet.
Never heard of it. Details please?

Seems it's VR game so I'll skippit:
when I try to start the game, it starts in VR mode.
And when I turn off VR, the game also turns off. why?
I just want to play this without my VR to start.

Back
Top Bottom