Nordic World Ski Championship 2023...

pibbuR

Feeling ... lonely?
.. takes place, as you all know, this week.

For a long time Norway has dominated cross country skiing. We have nearly 3 times as many gold medals as our closest competitor (Finland). This year there have been world cup races where 5 out top 6 male skiers were Norwegians, and some (I think) with even better results.

Good for us (?), but REALLY bad for the sport. Fortunately in women's races other nations perform very well now, especially the Swedes.

And today Jessie Diggins won the 10 km race. AFAIK it's the first time an American woman wins an individual Nordic ski world championship gold medal. (The US already have a gold medal in women's team sprint). So congratulations to her, well deserved.

pibbuR

Last edited:
Well there is always this old song made by swedes about the norwegian winter olympians
Norge visan
Personally I don't care much for sports but my mother is suddenly very elated about the swedish skiers

"Det står en stank ut til Doggerbank från de norska smørgåsbord" (The stench of Norwegian sandwiches reaches out to the Dogger Bank" - approximately 800 km). I remember that one. It's hilarious!

What's really laughable is that some Norwegians felt very insulted by this, and made a revenge song - of far lesser quality.

And yes, one of our national poets is "Petter Dass" ("dass" can be translated into "toilet").

pibbuR who knows a couple of jokes about the Swedes... (which, surprise, surprise, may also be told from a Swedish perspective about Norwegians).

Last edited:
My previous work had offices both in Lund (small university town in the south of sweden) and Oslo and for some reason that song often happened to play in the background when the Norwegian colleagues where visiting
According to my boss they did similar things when he was in Oslo although as a lowly webdesigner I somehow escaped their furious vengence and always had a very nice time in Oslo

Found the lyrics and translated it using Google:

It is said that one should not generalize
and say e.g. that Germany is not good.
You shouldn't either
in general i think
but this does not apply if
the country where Norwegians live.

Norway, Norway, it's a rotten country.
Norway, Norway, a fucking band of robbers.
Norwegians, Norwegians, they fish bad cod.
So if you see a lick
and he stinks of rotten fish
he is undoubtedly Norwegian.

Yes, Norwegians are terrible,
so ugly and so small.
With ties that are disgusting
with Norwegian flowers on.
They pupate and burrow
and yodeling and standing in
You wonder when you see them:
how stupid can you get?

Norway, Norway, it never rises.
Norway, Norway, with the thousand homes.
Norway, Norway, you shameful stain on our land.
Feel it says a stench
right down to Dogger's bank
from your Norwegian smorgasbord.

You should give a real bang
for Norway as a nation,
because they have such ugly scales
and crappy national pension.
They don't make cars
and the bikes are rubbish
and their great only poet,
his name is Peter Dass.

Norway, Norway, is the world's worst country
Norwegians, Norwegians, they should be taken care of.
Norwegians, Norwegians, the people the Lord gave
a hopeless sigh and a forehead that is low
so that the hat falls off.

pibbuR

PS. The beginning of the 4th verse is a parody of our national hymn "Ja vi elsker dette landet" (Yes, we love this country):

"Yes we love this country as it rises (forward?)
"Worn by weather above the water, with the thousand homes
"
DS.

PPS. The song was written as a "protest" song in 1968, when in the winter Olympics Norway was number 1 with 6 gold medals, 6 silver and 2 bronze - about twice as many medals as Sweden got. DS.

Last edited:
Reported pibbuR again for hate crimes.

So, here are the results from today's men 15 km race:
  1. Siemen Krueger (NOR)
  2. Harald Oestberg (NOR)
  3. Hans Christer Hollund (NOR)
  4. Johannes Oestflot Klaebo (NOR)
  5. William Porooma (SWE)
  6. Sjur Roethe (NOR)
There is hope, however. Number eight is Friedrich Moch from Germany. He has done fairly well in the world cup. And he's a young skier, can still compete in the U23 class. The Norwegian reporters seem to have good faith in him being a coming man to be reckoned with.

pibbuR
PS. It has to be said, there is another reason for the Norwegian dominance (in addition to 1) well trained good skiers and 2) an extensive top quality (high cost) technical support): The Russians aren't there. DS.

When I saw the title of the thread I thought that THQ Nordic has published a new sports game...

FYI: Thread is still not about games.

Today is men's 4x10 km relays. Given the results so far I will be really surprised if Norway doesn't win. But for the benefit of the sport, I will definitely be pleasantly surprised if another team wins.

Yesterday, quite unexpectedly, the Norwegian women won the 4x5km relay, with the favourite Swedish team ending up third.

pibbuR who doesn't remember where his skis are (and who fortunately decided to check spelling on Wiktionary, and found that "skis" is spelled "skis" and not "skies" which of course would be something completely different)

PS. Relay races are often a bit unpredictable. Which cause reporters to tirelessly - I'm really tired of it - repeat the tautology "Relay is relay". DS.,

Back
Top Bottom