Pillars of Eternity - Delayed to 2015

In real combat most hits connect with the target even if they deal minimal damages because they are blocked/deflected. Works the same way in PoE, grazes are just those hits that are blocked/deflected and deal low damage, while the misses are real misses (i.e. it never connect with the target). Accuracy in this case define how well you penetrate the defense of the target (block/deflection/dodging/whatever allow you to avoid a full damage hit) not just if you hit it physically or not.

Sounds perfectly fine to me, although I would prefer 1/4 damage for a graze (like you said, a hit that connects but slides of armor or just scratches the opponent) and maybe double damage for crits?

In real combat most hits connect with the target even if they deal minimal damages because they are blocked/deflected. Works the same way in PoE, grazes are just those hits that are blocked/deflected and deal low damage, while the misses are real misses (i.e. it never connect with the target). Accuracy in this case define how well you penetrate the defense of the target (block/deflection/dodging/whatever allow you to avoid a full damage hit) not just if you hit it physically or not.
Yes that is one possible explanation for grazes not worse or better then how D&D explains its system, but it still does not make grazes a better system as I explained in my earlier post.

In real combat most hits connect with the target even if they deal minimal damages because they are blocked/deflected. Works the same way in PoE, grazes are just those hits that are blocked/deflected and deal low damage, while the misses are real misses (i.e. it never connect with the target).

In real combat when you block attack or dodge it you got NO damage. What you tell here doesnt make sense.

Accuracy in this case define how well you penetrate the defense of the target (block/deflection/dodging/whatever allow you to avoid a full damage hit) not just if you hit it physically or not.

Can you tell me what do you mean by "hitting IT physically"? Do you mean that graze is "hitting the armor while not penetrating it"? That may have some logic but in such case the penalty to damage should be bigger than -50%.
And it still doesnt explain why you almost never miss? Because idea that you almost always hit some part of enemy's body is ridiculous. Again - it doesnt make sense ahen the combat system is related to ACCURACY. Penetrating factor has nothing to do with accuracy (note - there is some slight connection, you can hit less protected part of the body. but... its not the point ).

In real combat when you block attack or dodge it you got NO damage. What you tell here doesnt make sense.

I think you missed that what get "damaged" and "healed" in combat in PoE is called Endurance. This is a lore thing, you can read this kickstarte update for the info.

There is also something called health, but it's more a representation of you getting overextended after multiple fights. You can think of it has accumulated scratches and bruises.

Can you tell me what do you mean by "hitting IT physically"? Do you mean that graze is "hitting the armor while not penetrating it"? That may have some logic but in such case the penalty to damage should be bigger than -50%.
And it still doesnt explain why you almost never miss? Because idea that you almost always hit some part of enemy's body is ridiculous. Again - it doesnt make sense ahen the combat system is related to ACCURACY. Penetrating factor has nothing to do with accuracy (note - there is some slight connection, you can hit less protected part of the body. but… its not the point ).

By "hitting it physically" I mean the weapon connected on the target.

And I wasn't talking about penetrating factor. The "penetrating" calculation is done when damage is calculated because armor provide only damage reductions. Accuracy is checked against the defensive stats (Deflection, Fortitude, Reflex and Will) which represent the target's skill at defending itself, not how well its armor is protecting it. Defensive stats value is mostly class based.

I agree that -50% damage is too much for graze, but at the same time, with DT and DR factored in sometimes graze do a whooping 1 point of damage still...

I still think the combat needs some adjusting, so this delay is a good thing. Also, as others have pointed out, we have a lot of good games to play right now.

That being said, I hope it doesn't release at the same time as The Witcher 3.

Back
Top Bottom