Pillars of Eternity - GOTY Edition Revealed

I'm not trying to argue which one is better as I don't know I've played but haven't finish either because I'm waiting for all content or patches on both.

So I think both benefit from 6-12 months wait.

Same can be said about Bloodborne with severe framerate issues and very long loading screens. Dark Souls is still to this day one of the poorest pc ports and one that was actually "fixed" by player community. Commentary from some of it's fans was hilarious: "Be grateful you got it in the first place!".
And every Bethesda game is followed with extensive unofficial patches for all of their games and every single Dlc they've so far released. Not counting optimization and memory allocation patches that were also released by modding community.
Selective criticism, anyone?

Same can be said about Bloodborne with severe framerate issues and very long loading screens. Dark Souls is still to this day one of the poorest pc ports and one that was actually "fixed" by player community. Commentary from some of it's fans was hilarious: "Be grateful you got it in the first place!".
And every Bethesda game is followed with extensive unofficial patches for all of their games and every single Dlc they've so far released. Not counting optimization and memory allocation patches that were also released by modding community.

And all those games get played from start to finish at release with only a day one patch by most of their buyers.

Bizarre. Never heard of that. What other games have a GotY edition without winning a single GotY award anywhere? (Granted, I guess PoE can claim that Mac Store thing as its "award". It's just super weak.)

It's standard to call a complete edition of any game now GOTY edition.

Been like that for donkey's years, at least 10 years I'd say.
Can see how it could be a bit confusing though.

Selective criticism, Bobo? I can only assume you didn't read the thread and just replied to one specific post?

I didn't select anything. I replied to a post about CDPR from Celtic. You can read the thread if you want the details but I didn't select anything just replied.

If your implying that I think only the games discussed would benefit from waiting 6-12 months to play then you haven't seen many of my posts. I've said several times I try to wait 6-12 months on all games for the best experience.

Now for the souls games which again I didn't select but were brought up. I can only assume you picked them because you know I'm a huge fan. Being a hug fan does not make me blind however.

I've said in the past DS1 port was crap in terms of M&K support. DS2 introduced some serious lag with the wait to see if you double click or not thing and I've also mentioned lag and long load times for bloodborne. Not sure if that's coding or just console limitations by its definitely there.

DS1 I played probably a year or more after its PC release. Mainly because the first several times I played it I couldn't get into it. Then I finally did and played it to completion with all,the DLC and Durante's patch.

DS2 I played on release thinking I'd replay it when all content was out based on how much I liked DS1. Didn't happen as I didn't like DS2 nearly as much as 1 and so I never played any of the DLC. So a 6-12 month wait on that one would have been a good idea.

Bloodborne, I played about 3 months after release and loved it. Played 300+ hours beat it several times, platinumed it and the DLC. Since it's a console game there was nothing I could do about bad frame rate and long load times. If I hadn't planned on replaying it the it would have made sense to wait for all content.

So that's my history with the souls games since you brought it up but I'm not sure why you'd think I was being selective by leaving that out when replying to a post about CDPR being the only company releasing games that should be played on release.

So many spoiled gamers in this day and age. The internet has allowed developers to cost-effectively follow up on their creations with fixes and tweaks, and ya'll complain about it. Christ.

News flash: the more advanced games and their architecture get, the more bugs they'll have. While some real rushed stinkers arise (hello, Batman!), most are not so flawed. To whine that your game should have been 110% perfect while you simultaneously wait for 75% off Steam sales a year removed from the launch is the epitome of oblivious entitlement.

As for the GotY semantics, it's marketing, get over it.

Selective criticism, Bobo? I can only assume you didn't read the thread and just replied to one specific post?

I didn't select anything. I replied to a post about CDPR from Celtic. You can read the thread if you want the details but I didn't select anything just replied.

If your implying that I think only the games discussed would benefit from waiting 6-12 months to play then you haven't seen many of my posts. I've said several times I try to wait 6-12 months on all games for the best experience.

Now for the souls games which again I didn't select but were brought up. I can only assume you picked them because you know I'm a huge fan. Being a hug fan does not make me blind however.

I've said in the past DS1 port was crap in terms of M&K support. DS2 introduced some serious lag with the wait to see if you double click or not thing and I've also mentioned lag and long load times for bloodborne. Not sure if that's coding or just console limitations by its definitely there.

DS1 I played probably a year or more after its PC release. Mainly because the first several times I played it I couldn't get into it. Then I finally did and played it to completion with all,the DLC and Durante's patch.

DS2 I played on release thinking I'd replay it when all content was out based on how much I liked DS1. Didn't happen as I didn't like DS2 nearly as much as 1 and so I never played any of the DLC. So a 6-12 month wait on that one would have been a good idea.

Bloodborne, I played about 3 months after release and loved it. Played 300+ hours beat it several times, platinumed it and the DLC. Since it's a console game there was nothing I could do about bad frame rate and long load times. If I hadn't planned on replaying it the it would have made sense to wait for all content.

So that's my history with the souls games since you brought it up but I'm not sure why you'd think I was being selective by leaving that out when replying to a post about CDPR being the only company releasing games that should be played on release.

Exactly... so "broken" is a hyperbole that gets thrown around here too carelessly.
Broken is Skyrim on PS3, New Vegas and so on. I wouldn't count any Witcher or PoE in that category.
As for companies putting more effort into patching and delivering extra content released after the release, it could be seen as a good way to prevent piracy.

As for companies putting more effort into patching and delivering extra content released after the release, it could be seen as a good way to prevent piracy.

Um what?

So many spoiled gamers in this day and age. The internet has allowed developers to cost-effectively follow up on their creations with fixes and tweaks, and ya'll complain about it. Christ.

News flash: the more advanced games and their architecture get, the more bugs they'll have. While some real rushed stinkers arise (hello, Batman!), most are not so flawed. To whine that your game should have been 110% perfect while you simultaneously wait for 75% off Steam sales a year removed from the launch is the epitome of oblivious entitlement.

As for the GotY semantics, it's marketing, get over it.

So many? Who are you even talking about because I don't see any of that in this thread?

For me, I backed POE to the tune of $300 and buy all the games I want to support on day 1 as I did with every game mentioned in this thread. I support them and the wait for the DLC and patches to finish before playing.

Some games such as souls games and the recent xcom2 I'll play on release knowing ( or at least thinking I know) that I'll play it again so anything missed can be experienced in later playthroughs.

If I think I'm only playing once then I definitely want to wait for all patches and content to be released so I can experience it all. Sounds sensible to me. No?

Exactly… so "broken" is a hyperbole that gets thrown around here too carelessly.
Broken is Skyrim on PS3, New Vegas and so on. I wouldn't count any Witcher or PoE in that category.

I understand what your saying but the only game I said was broken on release was witcher 1. Obviously everyone will have a different experience but for me long load times, that could take minutes, random crashes, freezes, audio and video glitches.

Made the game unplayable or broken IMO. They patched it and it turn out to be great. Credit where credit is due.

There are no "Game of the Year" awards for PoE in your link, just 2 "Best RPG" and 1 "Spirit of the PC" :)lol:). I actually did search around and the only one I found was the Mac Store thing. I guess that's enough. I hadn't realized "Game of the Year Editions" were being issued so willy-nilly these days.

Aye, well then they should probably use one of the other "bundle" game appellations, such as "Director's Cut", "Gold Edition", or even just "Complete".

I understand what your saying but the only game I said was broken on release was witcher 1. Obviously everyone will have a different experience but for me long load times, that could take minutes, random crashes, freezes, audio and video glitches.

Made the game unplayable or broken IMO. They patched it and it turn out to be great. Credit where credit is due.

Definitely not the same experience in my case, but I'll agree on long loading times.

Back
Top Bottom