PoE: The White March - Available Now

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Pillars of Eternity: The White March is available now on Steam and Good Old Games.

“The White March: Part I” is the first addition to thecritically acclaimed game, and includes an extensive array of new dynamic content for both Pillars of Eternity veterans and newcomers. White March expands the story and experience of the original game, adding new locations, quests, and companions to the world of Eora, as well as new gameplay features such as multi-class abilities, soulbound weapons, and a higher level cap, allowing players new ways to play in all areas of the game. The White March: Part I is available today as an add-on to Pillars of Eternity for Windows, Mac, and Linux PC for $14.99. A bundle with Parts I and II is available for $24.99, which will grant owners the second installment immediately upon its release.

In The White March: Part I, Obsidian Entertainment continues the tale of Pillars of Eternity, an RPG inspired by classics of the computer RPG genre. Featuring an expertly crafted story from Carrie Patel, author of the Recoletta series and writer on the original Pillars of Eternity, and Eric Fenstermaker, lead writer on Pillars of Eternity and one of the co-writers of South Park: The Stick of Truth alongside show creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone, the new expansion has new lore and challenges to explore. Set during the middle of the original game similar to the classic Tales of the Sword Coast, the new expansion can be experienced regardless if players have completed the core game or not. Players will venture into a new setting inspired by the snowy environments of Icewind Dale, and meet new companions including The Devil of Caroc, a construct rogue, and the scarred monk Zahua. Additionally, players can make use of new advanced party-based AI during combat and other adventuring challenges.
More information.

I didn't play PoE when it got released (dunno what I was playing at that time instead). The problem that happened later was almost unanimous vote that PoE plays two thirds as a spectacle then in the last third it breaks down into a chore, something like that.
Not saying this is true, especially with my taste where I adore stuff people wouldn't even touch and despise things some others desperately need. But a warning it is.

Hopefully the completed expansion changes the game epilogue for better and does it justice so I'll do the same as Nephologist and wait for the part 2.

Finished the main game, and I'm in no rush to hit the expansion. I can easily wait till the 2nd part is out, and well after any and all patches/adjustments are done.

Cue complaints re. "Season Passes" in 3-2-1....

(Which is to say, folks who criticized TW3 for doing the "Season Pass" thing better jump in here too, because it's the exact same deal.)

So no mention on how backers will redeem their prepayment for the expansions?

Go here: https://eternity.obsidian.net/account#products

Choose this:

pic.jpg

Are there any plans to do a "proper" expansion a la Throne of Bhaal? i.e. substantial new story and content after main game? or even a PoE2? I think $15 ( is rather a lot for 10 hours (?) of less story-focused content....given that PoE was $60 and I spent 80-90 hours on it. I also don't like the idea of splitting into parts.

Dunno if there are plans for that.
And to be honest I'd rather see them making FO:NV 2 instead of DLC/expansions.

Cue complaints re. "Season Passes" in 3-2-1….

(Which is to say, folks who criticized TW3 for doing the "Season Pass" thing better jump in here too, because it's the exact same deal.)
It was only me who criticized TW3 season pass. Not for it's content, but for that "pass" term that is negative because of scamware by Ubisoft and other publishers put under it. Those are not expansions there, but a few minutes of gameplay crap or some horse armors.
CDprojekt could have called it expansion preorder and noone would complain as we all know what means an expansion and what is a preorder.

The same deal it would be - if TW3 was a kickstarter project. It was not.

PoE was $60? I paid 35$ for it and Steam says it is 42 Euro.

PoE was $60? I paid 35$ for it and Steam says it is 42 Euro.

Actually, I paid $65+$15 shipping, so actually $80. But, yes, the official steam price is $45 - at least for me. Even so, assuming 10 hours is accurate: 33% the cost for 12.5% for the play time of PoE...and more combat focused...and episodic? I still feel its poor value for money.

Are there any plans to do a "proper" expansion a la Throne of Bhaal? i.e. substantial new story and content after main game? or even a PoE2? I think $15 ( is rather a lot for 10 hours (?) of less story-focused content….given that PoE was $60 and I spent 80-90 hours on it. I also don't like the idea of splitting into parts.

PoE2 is in the pipeline (or at least was).

As for the time it took the reviewer to go through it I would take it with a grain of salt. The expac content is meant for level 6-7 characters, you can scale it for higher level characters, but that doesn't mean he did it.

As for the cost, game price isn't based on how long anyone spend on them, mostly because people don't all take the same amount of time to do something. It took me 35 hours to finish PoE for example.

edit: MMORPG has a review of the expac too and the review took 20 hours or so.

Last edited:
I saw the Devil of Caroc on a screen shot during an earlier update by Josh Sawyer, so obviously it was part of the content that didn't make it into the original release.

Yeah, frankly, I am disappointed by this being called an expansion. A little diddly DLC tack on area and a couple companions is not what I thought I was signing up for. I thought I was signing up for an entirely new campaign ala a BG2, or NWN/2 expansion. Last time I prepay for a DLC sold as an "expansion". :/

Yeah, frankly, I am disappointed by this being called an expansion. A little diddly DLC tack on area and a couple companions is not what I thought I was signing up for. I thought I was signing up for an entirely new campaign ala a BG2, or NWN/2 expansion. Last time I prepay for a DLC sold as an "expansion". :/

They split it to deliver something as soon as possible so there that.
Will wait for part 2 before purchase.

I like the AI base game changes but still not sure what patches and changes will occur so not picking this up yet and still waiting to play base game

I really, really don't like 'expansions' (read DLC) that occurs in the middle of a game you've already played. I didn't even like it way back in 2000-time when Icewind Dale did it with Heart of Winter, I still refuse to play HoW until the last possible moment the game allows if I even bother including it in my install, which is hardly ever. But at least that game was obviously all new content with no intention of being part of the original game.

$25 for both expansions isn't really that much, and they'll go on sale at some point. Personally I'm going to wait for some reviews from people who have actually played the expansion before judging whether the new content is worth it.

Back
Top Bottom