Risen Possible Spoilers: Stuck In Volcano Temple

So you are going to steadfastly argue that this isnt a design flaw that it triggers off the north winch? Go look at the official support forums to see how many posts there are on this one. I'm not exactly the OP of this thread either.

Crap, I've restored an earlier save, (unfortunately my last save was after I must have made a misstep, so had to reload a much earlier save..) and I'm still having trouble.. :wall:

Now he won't break down the wall, and/or i cannot find the winch that's supposed to be on the South side. :mad:

The really crappy part is that previously I had found the winch. This time around I pulled a ring on the wall early on.. - maybe I should not have done that? *+*

Is the wich before or after you have to levitate over the spikes?

So you are going to steadfastly argue that this isnt a design flaw that it triggers off the north winch? Go look at the official support forums to see how many posts there are on this one. I'm not exactly the OP of this thread either.

No, it's not a "design flaw", it's an attempt by the developers to steer you in a certain order for that sequence of events. I'm not sure what's so hard to grasp about that.

The fact that there's a lot of posts tells me that there's a lot of stupid people in this situation. Seriously, you have an NPC that flat out TELLS YOU exactly what you need to do. The only bad game design is the devs not accounting for people who can't follow simple directions.

Last edited:
Ah! It's because I was avoiding falling into the trapdoor in the middle of the last room where you fight those two animals.. ;D

Btw, when you report to the Inquisitor about the first winch, is when he tells you that he's sent Rufus to the South. So that dialogue also only triggers once you've found the 1st whinch.

Hm, I rather dislike being called stupid because I like to play in a non-linear way. A sand-box game is not supposed to be so linear that you can only solve things in a specific sequence, and I dislike that the entire game seems to have been flowcharted in a very linear way.

There should be more than one way to kill a cat.

I'm not sure why anyone's arguing about the game. Other than a couple of minor bugs and some mistyped text (probably due to the English translation), it's been the most enjoyable game I've played in quite a while. Regardless, I do have a question because I'm feeling lazy tonight.

After you give the map to the Inquisitor and you tell Vince to break down the wall, do you find the idol for the stone door in the room above the Inquisitor (where Vince is) after he breaks down the wall or before (somewhere I must have missed)?

Thanks,

Justin

Oh well, nevermind about the question. I didn't talk to the Inquisitor again after talking to Vince, so I didn't see that's what he wants to do next. LOL

I'm not sure why anyone's arguing about the game. Other than a couple of minor bugs and some mistyped text (probably due to the English translation), it's been the most enjoyable game I've played in quite a while.

Apparently some people can't handle the fact that the devs tried to script a few things, and that it wasn't done exactly the way they thought it should be.

I agree though, one of the most enjoyable game I've played lately.

Please - try to keep in mind that there is no such thing as the "perfect" game. Even I can see that even the games I love most in the world, have their flaws. And yeah, even so, it hurts when people completely diss the games I love, and in cases where they are being grossly unfair, I sometimes do go for them tooth and nail.

I don't think anybody here (especially not in this thread,) has been grossly unfair towards Risen, though.
Personally, I adore Risen. It really surprised me very pleasantly, since I had not expected all that much from it before I bought it. Now I'm having an absolute blast with it, and I hate the times when work or other committments keep me from playing. That doesn't mean, though, that I cannot also see flaws in the game.

Sorry, JDR13, I like you, but maybe you've lost objectivity a bit somewhere along the way here. As far as I am concerned, I can see a few minor flaws in the game, but that doesn't mean that it is not nevertheless a very good and very enjoyable game. It is still a good and extremely enjoyable game, in spite of minor flaws.

After all, if the devs of a game never see honest feedback, how can they improve with their next effort, hmm?

Oh, and FWIW, I tell all my gamer friends how much I'm loving the game… I don't even mention the flaws. However, IMO, completely sticking your head in the sand about niggles such as shortsighted scripting (maybe a lack of extensive betatesting?) is just plain silly, and not doing the game or the devs any favours. Little niggles like these can often be quite easily fixed with patches, and will only do the game good, not harm, if they are given some attention.

Last edited:
Hey I think Risen is great. I think it has lost some momentum after Chapter 2 but it is still great. I guess I liked the "fresh" G1 land mass being opened up to me in later chapters of G2. I'm a bit tired of the island I guess. It is still great though, better than any non PB RPG.

Risen has a few flaws and this thread was to talk about one of them. That's to be expected of a game with this much complexity. I can appreciate JDR13's love for the game and perhaps he feels it was under attack. Not really the case. I don't have a G2 avatar and "For Innos!" in my sig for nothing.

I've actually posted quite a few complaints I've had about his game, so you're a bit premature in talking about my objectivity. :)

Risen takes a complete swan dive in the 4th Chapter imo, and even the 3rd Chapter was lacking when compared to the first two. If the last two chapters had been as good as the first two, this might have been my new favorite crpg.

I still think it was a great game, better than Gothic 3, but it falls well short of Gothic 1&2 imo.

I actually like G3 better but I'm likely alone in that opinion. I just enjoyed the landscape in G3 better, less cleverly contrived and vast.

I actually like G3 better but I'm likely alone in that opinion. I just enjoyed the landscape in G3 better, less cleverly contrived and vast.
I wouldn't say I like it better - it's too 'loose" storywise, but I like the game, and agree that it is a lovely huge gameworld to mess around with if one has the time.

I only recently managed to patch my G3 up well enough to play really smoothly, so I never got around to finishing the thing.

I never finished Gothic 3 either, it's the only Piranha Bytes game I haven't completed yet. I simply got burned out after playing close to 80 hours. I was very close to the end, but I just didn't have any desire to continue playing.

The story/quests just weren't compelling enough for a game of that length.

Back
Top Bottom