Post a Picture of Yourself!

I've decided to finally jump into the off-topic with a quick question: Where are half of Prime Junta's photo's?

Sorry, I'm a nosy (lurking) parker, I am..

nice pics. ^_^ I don't remember if i already post my pics here.. but i will try to post in the following day.

Thanks, Margarette, I started a bit further back on this thread, being curious to see what everybody looks like, and half of his pics said; "not available at the moment." ..so of course that made me even more curious...

Resurrecting and old thread… we're having some rather unusual meteorological conditions here, which have given us some beautiful things like this:

4297533604_11dc8fe155_b.jpg

4296796493_44bfae60c6_b.jpg

It's called 'rime,' and is formed when supercooled fog gets deposited onto a surface directly as ice crystals. There's a shipping lane just nearby here, which is kept open by icebreakers; I think that's what's supplying the supercooled fog, causing the crystals to grow into these lovely leaves.

(To belatedly answer RivianWitch's question, my wife told me she feels uncomfortable about having pictures of her publicly visible on the Net, so I switched all of the ones tagged with her to be hidden from all but family; I've re-enabled a few of them with her permission since, though.)

Hah, guess I never did post here (or even look tbh, heh).

I don't have ANY good pics - have this weird thing, I hate to be photographed.
But here are a couple I found.

1st is me with my new bass last summer, just as I took it out of the box :)

Second is from the same day - a Picture IDish pic I used on my FB page which my wife hates because she says it looks like an ugly mugshot or photo ID. "Photo ID was the point, woman!!!!"

Third was out drinking with some friends and what my pictures usually look like (told you I hate photos) :)

Attachments

• Relayer.jpg
    Relayer.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 203
  • Relayer3.jpg
    Relayer3.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 200
  • Relayer2.jpg
    Relayer2.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
Very, very nice, Relayer. And you look so happy with the bass :).

Nice pics, Relayer. Very futuristic looking bass.

@Prime J--interesting how the rime on the fir needles echoes a perfect leaf structure. Do you think that's fog condensation or each cell of the leaf transpiring water in perfect balance?

Either way, I love nature. :)

I marveled at that myself. It's also pretty amazing that you get leaves on a tree, even though the leaves are only crystallized water. How does each water molecule landing on the growing crystal know where to attach, to form that perfect structure? I've sometimes wondered that about snowflakes, too. There are a *lot* of water molecules between one edge of a snowflake and the other, yet it grows in near-perfect symmetry, but unique each time.

Ain't nature grand?

I think it has to be something in the underlying leaf--what it's doing to attract that moisture. Even in freezing weather, evergreens like firs carry on their life functions, albeit at a much reduced rate. That's why I mentioned the transpiration--maybe it attracts the outside moisture? I was also thinking of your breath freezing--that type of thing. When you look at the deposits on the twig, for instance, the buildup seems much more random. Anyway, even if it's scientifically inaccurate, I like the idea of the tree's 'breath' freezing in that delicate symmetry. Very nice work capturing that on film. :)

We're in the middle of an ice storm here--I'll keep my primitive little camera handy just in case I can catch something, though it will certainly be at a much lower quality. There's not much nuance of light in what I can do.

I think it has to be something in the underlying leaf—what it's doing to attract that moisture. Even in freezing weather, evergreens like firs carry on their life functions, albeit at a much reduced rate. That's why I mentioned the transpiration—maybe it attracts the outside moisture? I was also thinking of your breath freezing—that type of thing. When you look at the deposits on the twig, for instance, the buildup seems much more random. Anyway, even if it's scientifically inaccurate, I like the idea of the tree's 'breath' freezing in that delicate symmetry. Very nice work capturing that on film. :)

I hate to burst that bubble because it's a nice one, but I saw the same kinds of crystals on all kinds of surfaces. If you check out the full-size version of the following picture here [ http://www.flickr.com/photos/primejunta/4297537316/sizes/o/ ], you'll see similar leaves on a birch tree. They even grew the same way on a chicken wire fence, but I didn't take any pictures of that. And thanks for the compliment. :)

4297537316_fcfe70c807_b.jpg

We're in the middle of an ice storm here—I'll keep my primitive little camera handy just in case I can catch something, though it will certainly be at a much lower quality. There's not much nuance of light in what I can do.

Don't sell yourself short. If you see something pretty, especially pretty light, just take a picture. Actually, take *lots* of pictures. My secret is that I take about ten frames for every one I upload. :)

I have to say I'm a bit envious. The landscape here in Michigan is not nearly that aesthetically pleasing in the Winter. At least not to me. :)

We generally don't have much winter here—it gets cold(or what Southerners think of as cold, 20'sand 30's F) but it's usually just dry, brown and dead all winter so I know what you mean JDR. This icestorm we're having is an aberration.

@Prime J: Ah, too bad. It was a nice conceit. Must be something crystalline—don't crystals have a mathematical foundation like all that nautilus shell stuff? Anyway, I'm perfectly capable of ignoring the scientific facts in the case and just enjoying my little simile, so no problem. :) AFA taking pictures, this time around there's really nothing special, but just to show we do occasionally have some weather, I'll stick in a few shots from our christmas blizzard instead. Not artistic, just descriptive. ;)

Attachments

• Christmas snow 004.jpg
    Christmas snow 004.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 34
  • Christmas snow 005.jpg
    Christmas snow 005.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 36
We've also had an unusually pleasing winter in terms of aesthetics, normally it's just grey slush galore, mixed with the brown of dead grass if one goes to the southern parts...

Aesthetics are in direct conflict with communications though, living on a hilltop when the roads are covered by ice has some downsides...

been a while since a pic, here's one that ive got on my blog thing. Me and the Sun dont play much, or very well. Tho im not all that pale (i am a californian after all), it's just the direct sunlight making it look so ='.'=

Attachments

• me.jpg
    me.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 61
I guess it's just the pic, you sayin i'm fat or something lol. I'm around my ideal weight. Around being the key word, havent been able to work out for a few months due to a shoulder injury, that excuse plus the holidays have added about 5lbs. So actually I've gained!

yeah, dont know what the deal is with my shoulder other than trying excersize machines vs free weights - the equipment i guess messed my shoulder up pretty nicely. Never had problem w/ free weights other than routine soreness, but a few weeks of mixing in some machines ( shoulder press, fly machine) to try them out I suddenly started really getting wicked shoulder pain. I'm STILL not 100%, we're talking 3 friggen months here. Watch out for the machines, I'm convinced now that they are not good for you. They isolate certain muscles inappropriately, you really need to have the balance factor of free weights, plus you really wont lift more than you should w/ free weights. The actual weight resistance of machines is dodgy.

I guess it's just the pic, you sayin i'm fat or something lol.

Oh no lol, your face just looks thinner in that pic for some reason. I think it's because you're further away.

Around being the key word, havent been able to work out for a few months due to a shoulder injury, that excuse plus the holidays have added about 5lbs. So actually I've gained!

I can totally sympathize with you there, I have tendinitis in my left shoulder that flares up sometimes when I'm training. Do you have decent health insurance? If so, you should see your doctor, and insist on getting an MRI.

Dr just basically told me to take it easy for a couple months, keep it stretched and do yoga (again, I'm in california lol). He thinks I may have strained my rotator cuff, if it isnt better soon I'm gonna do the MRI thing, that's the next step.

Sports injuries are hell, because they can pretty much prevent you from doing what you like to do almost completely until youre healed. It's a stress breaker for me too, to be able to push myself to the limit. Yoga is pretty fun to do, and it can push you pretty hard too, but it's just not the same. Doesnt give that self confidence boost and weight maintenance that weight training does.

In the meantime, cardio's gone out the window too! Thankfully a friend just gave me an old "vitamaster" treadmill, now there's no excuses!

Here is a fairly recent one of me with my Christmas present from Gear Diary ... :)

Attachments

• Mike_A_SeV.jpg
    Mike_A_SeV.jpg
    294.5 KB · Views: 146
Back
Top Bottom