Pricewatch!

Yeah, cdkeys.com has been around for quite awhile. I tend to think they would be a little more notorious by now if they didn't sell keys that worked, and the vast majority of user reviews I've seen are positive.

I've never purchased from them myself, but I'm highly tempted now after seeing that price for the new Doom. :)

Authorized or unauthorized, if a seller is selling a legitimate product, they're generally entitled to sell the product even if the original manufacturer objects. What I prefer to do if I'm worried about the Seller and the possibility of a bad product, is use Paypal for the transaction.

Paypal hides my credit card info from the seller and Paypal also provides a straightforward process to cancel the transaction if the product is bad and the seller won't fix it. I've used this Paypal process; it was easy to use and did work.

__

There are key resellers like GMG who get their keys directly from the publishers in various regions and there are resellers that function more like brokers, i.e. someone offers a key and the platform serves as the middleman to sell you the key. CDKeys.com has many keys of that nature.

These keys can be from anywhere including copies that were stolen at retail or bought with a stolen credit card. Some of those broker shops have a "guarantee" (like G2A) so they will make sure your key will work but it is theoretically possible to obtain stolen keys from these sites and to have them revoked (which has happened before when Ubi banned keys that were bought in bulk with stolen credit cards).

That said, I have bought one key from CDKeys.com in the past (an Origin key for the C&C Ultimate Collection for €10) and have had no trouble at all. Would buy again.

First, please excuse me/pardon moi if the subject I raised here is slightly off-topic, since this thread is mainly related to the good offers/prices a PC game (or bundle of) currently has.

Second, to bring the subject to this thread's main topic, I was asking about the legitimacy of cdkeys.com because they are selling Fallout 4 Steam key for US$ 31.98 (see http://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/fallout-4-pc-cd-key-steam), which AFAIK is the lesser price this game ever had (can anyone else confirm/deny this ?)

Of course, I contacted ckey.com support via email which I took the liberty to reproduce them here:

Me:
Hi! I live in Brazil and I would like to know:
1) Do you sell legit Fallout 4 Steam keys ?
2) If I buy Fallout 4 from you, will I have some kind of trouble activating the key here in Brazil? Does the games you sell have some kind of restriction/locking countries relating to the countries where they can be redeemed ?

They answered:
1) We sell 100% legit keys.
2) Fallout 4 is available on Xbox, PSN and PC
What platform are you referring to? Check product page for region restrictions.

Since they apparently had a doubt, I contacted them once more in order to make myself clear:

Me again:
I just wanna know if the Fallout 4 Steam key (a.k.a PC) you sell can be activated in Brazil without any kind of problem. Won't Steam deny me the game, if I buy it from you and try to activate it there ?

They again:
Thanks for getting in touch.
I can confirm it works in Brazil and the code is activated thru Steam

Kind Regards

The price is tempting, the game is 46% off. I bet the game won't get this discount in the next Steam Summer sale.

Thank you all for your answers!

I think we're offtopic here but still.

I never bought anything from cdkeys site so I can't share any experience on that.
However, the suspicion that these shady sites are selling brazillian keys is most probably not true. Most of those keys will not be possible to activate outside of that country. One example is GTA5 key that was possible to buy on legit brazillian store nuuvem.com from anywhere on the planet for cheap, but the store did warn people it won't work if not in Brasil, so those who didn't believe that and still bought it stepped on a turd (you may google for that and similar cases).

Also, when Sims 4 was released depending on your key the game had or didn't have - english language! So some people thought it's so smart to buy the game on some sites in poland or russia or wherever and then they didn't understand anything in the game nor could change the language in the game.

Same happened with Dragon Age Inquisition, but Bioware later added english for everyone, you may check game info on origin and you'll spot english language pack as DLC. This game however is not possible to register on Origin from India regardless if you bought the game on a legit site or not as it's banned in that country. And then we come to possible source of misunderstanding stuff as in India the only way to play DA:I is practically to pirate it and then key reseller sites get accused to have fingers in that and I don't believe it.

What I'm saying, feel free to risk buying keys on cdkeys site, but first make sure you get the game in either english or your own language.
So far the only nonpublisher stores I've used were GamersGate, GreenManGaming, HumbleBundle and BundleStars - never had any problems with keys I got from them. Okay, I used Amazon too, but only for retail discs, not for digital keys.

@henriquejr

I looked at the Fallout 4 CD Key link from your post. The game is advertised as being for the region "WORLDWIDE". Hover your mouse cursor over the picture of the globe at the top right portion of the link to see the word "Worldwide". This means that the steam key can be activated in all countries.

You can also click on the second tab below the Fallout 4 image ( the tab is labeled "Product Information") and you will get the following information:

Release Date: 10th November 2015
Platform: Steam
Region: Worldwide
Language: Chinese Traditional, English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish​

This confirms that the key for sale is a "Worldwide" key.

You shouldn't have any trouble. If you did run into a problem, CD Key should give you a new key or refund, particularly based on the favorable comments for CDKey that RPGWatch members have posted here. If you want to be extra cautious, you could use Paypal.

There are some other comparable Fallout 4 deals available elsewhere -- see http://cheapdigitaldownload.com/fallout-4-digital-download-price-comparison/
for a list. But none of the other prices are a whole lot better. Based on the favorable comments posted here, CDKey is probably a good choice,

__

There's no way to know whether the key you're buying was stolen or not?

No, there isn't. The Origin key I received for the C&C Ultimate Collection looked like a scanned retail key. So it could be from a copy someone bought on the cheap in a 2nd/3rd world country or a copy that fell off a delivery truck somewhere ;) .

@henriquejr

I looked at the Fallout 4 CD Key link from your post. The game is advertised as being for the region "WORLDWIDE". Hover your mouse cursor over the picture of the globe at the top right portion of the link to see the word "Worldwide". This means that the steam key can be activated in all countries.

You can also click on the second tab below the Fallout 4 image ( the tab is labeled "Product Information") and you will get the following information:

Release Date: 10th November 2015
Platform: Steam
Region: Worldwide
Language: Chinese Traditional, English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish​

This confirms that the key for sale is a "Worldwide" key.

I must confess I already had seen this info, EVEN BEFORE contacting their support. I preferred to contact them again via e-mail because I want them to unerringly tell me that the game can be activated here in Brazil without causing me any troubles. I never heard of cdkeys.com until a simple Google search returned me their web site a couple of days ago.
And then I posted here because, even after contacting their support, I was still mistrustful. So I came here to check with you if this site is widely known.

I must confess I already had seen this info, EVEN BEFORE contacting their support. I preferred to contact them again via e-mail because I want them to unerringly tell me that the game can be activated here in Brazil without causing me any troubles. I never heard of cdkeys.com until a simple Google search returned me their web site a couple of days ago.
And then I posted here because, even after contacting their support, I was still mistrustful. So I came here to check with you if this site is widely known.

The two emails that CD Keys sent you in response to your two emails is another good sign. One danger of getting the cheapest price on a product is that the seller may be making so little profit that the seller cannot afford to give customers any type of reasonable service. The fact that CD Keys responded twice to you indicates that CD Keys is focused on customer service. Other replies you have gotten here at RPGWatch tend to confirm that.

Best regards.

__

I actually know of one site where it's slightly cheaper than that.

http://opiumpulses.com/store/793/fallout-4

It's not a well known site, but I've purchased several keys from there without issue.

Sure I won't mind paying 1 dollar less. :)
And since you posted the link here, I can suppose the site is legit too (another site I didn't know of). :)

Sure I won't mind paying 1 dollar less. :)
And since you posted the link here, I can suppose the site is legit too (another site I didn't know of). :)

The site is unauthorized as well and operating on the grey market.
If you really feel obliged to buy from these pages I'd strongly recommend to not use your credit card information to buy anything.

I know thousands of people who buy all sorts of games from cdkeys.com. Their deals are regularly posted at http://www.hotukdeals.com/ (VERY popular UK deals site). There are 4 or 5 deals even now on there for cdkeys.

Can we keep this thread about promoting games on actual authorized stores?

Not just because every promotion of these pages hurts the guys making the games, but also because the prices there are always low, which isn't exactly anything special there.

Can we keep this thread about promoting games on actual authorized stores?

Not just because every promotion of these pages hurts the guys making the games, but also because the prices there are always low, which isn't exactly anything special there.

I agree with you up to a point but there are publishers out there who is taking the piss also of consumers. So I don't believe we should only post deals from "authorized stores". Also these so called "authorized stores" are illegal in some countries in that as long as you obtained the game legally you can do whatever you like.

Back
Top Bottom