Rage

I'd say that about half the major new games I've purchased in the past few years have required me to fiddle with the graphics drivers or settings. It's almost the modern equivalent of messing with config.sys.
I must've been fantasically lucky then, as I haven't had to fiddle with drivers before this in a looong time. Must have been 5+ years since the last time. Honestly. Sure, I have had to fiddle with some settings in game, to get better performance and whatnot, but I've always been able to at least play a newly released game, even if it was buggy and poorly optimized, etc. Not so with Rage, it just won't work. It's been a long time since I've had a game this broken right out of the box. Makes one wonder if they tested the PC version much at all.

Oh well, I have a long backlog of games to play while I wait id to patch Rage into playable shape. Hopefully it won't take months.

BTW, do you really speak to cats? If so please tell my spoiled princess kitty to stop biting me feet when she wants attention. It's annoying and tickles a little. :D

Yes I can speak to cats. Not sure if they understand me, of course.

But there's no harm in trying, so here's what I would say to your kitten (in Norwegian, since that's the language I use when speaking to them):

"Hei! Du!! Stopp det der! Ikke bit meg i føttene!!"

says pibbur who also speaks to other mammals, with limited success.

My cats seem to like licking me in the ear, when I'm sitting at the computer. They'll start out innocently enough, just lying on my shoulder. Next thing I know, it's the old sandpaper to the eardrum routine.

Let's just say you have what I call "convenient" logic ;)

It was just an observation actually, but I guess someone who is interested in this game as much as you obviously are has been following the forums a little more closely. :)

Oh well, I have a long backlog of games to play while I wait id to patch Rage into playable shape. Hopefully it won't take months.

What are the rest of your system specs? It sounds like some sort of compatibility issue perhaps. It just seems odd that it would crash like that because most of the problems people reported had to do with graphical glitches, not crashing.

Yes I can speak to cats. Not sure if they understand me, of course.

But there's no harm in trying, so here's what I would say to your kitten (in Norwegian, since that's the language I use when speaking to them):

"Hei! Du!! Stopp det der! Ikke bit meg i føttene!!"

says pibbur who also speaks to other mammals, with limited success.

I found it a little funny that I could almost understand everything you said. With European languages I have some chance of understanding a little. With Chinese there is no chance unless I know the words.

It's going back a bit but NWN2 had terrible graphic problems (for ATI) when released that dwarfed what I saw in Rage even with the "bad" driver.

True, NWN2 had some really bad problems - and as I recall, it wasn't just ATI.

Still, that was Obsidian - so that goes without saying.

Have played it for some time now (12 hours according to steam), and have alot of fun with it.
The only "bugs" that I have encountered has been some graphic popins at the side of my screen, and it might have gone away now with vsync on.
Anyway, its not been something that has bothered me much. And concidering that I am not a big fan of FPS games I like the pace of this game. Small parts of FPS gameplay coupled with some driving/minigames/trading/picking up sidequest in town and then back to a 30 min FPS experience.

What are the rest of your system specs? It sounds like some sort of compatibility issue perhaps. It just seems odd that it would crash like that because most of the problems people reported had to do with graphical glitches, not crashing.
I've been reading both Beth and Steam forums and there are many similar reports to mine, so my problems are by no means unique. One poster claimed, he managed to solve the save game crash by going from 32 bit Win7 to 64 bit Win7. A bit too extreme fix for me. The crashing right after the intro movie is also a known issue, which should have been fixed by the patch, but apparently wasn't. There's a ton of posts on those forums about the various problems with Rage (not just graphical glitches) and quite many fan made work-arounds, which may or may not work for you (seems almost random). It's quite a mess.

However, I'm not as miffed about this as I was yesterday and after a bit of fiddling about with different drivers and settings, I 've decided to let the issue rest and put Rage aside until ATI releases proper drivers (the beta ones caused me problems in other games, so I rolled back to the v11.9 drivers) and id releases another patch.

Have you checked the event log after a crash? Sometimes that can tell you a bit more about the cause of an error. Not always, and it may be a bit "techie", but might be worth a try.

In case you don't know how to find it:
1. Right click "My Computerd" and chose "Manage"
2. Go to Event Viewer, Windows Logs, Application
3. Look for lines with a red mark.

says pibbur who knows that the Rage problems affect quite a lot of people

Just adding my thoughts about the game. I think I have played around 7 hours and the feeling I have is kinda odd. It does have some questionable design decisions but not enough that it hasn't got me hooked. On the surface it could appear as a sandbox game but in reality you are quite limited, especially during missions.
The racing parts are clearly the weak point in the game. It's not really bad but the way it is implemented just breaks immersion. You get an instant transfer when you accept a racing challenge and you can repeat or restart it until you get the result you want. The driving that takes place while you roam the map are ok. You'll encounter driving bandits which sometimes becomes a mini-game where you'll have to eliminate a certain number of them to get a money reward and other times there just a hindrance and won't net you any reward. This seems a bit odd. The bandits are so far not much of a challenge and sometimes you don't even bother to fight them and just drive past them.
Where the game shines is during firefights. It's not as sophisticated as some of the duck and covers shooters as of late but it quite entertaining and sometimes it gets quite hectic and really get the adrenaline pumping. The first time I entered a sewer was quite a shock as I wasn't armed or prepared for the mutant onslaught that was about to begin.
On the technical side I haven't encountered any severe problems. I have 2x580 in SLI and use the BF3 betas. (which sadly crashes constantly with DX11 enabled in DX:HR). I do see occasional texture popping and at one time I got annoying clipping issues and weird green colors around many objects in the terrain. That aside it looks good and the pacing it fast like in the old shooter days.
All in all I think it is a solid game that really doesn't break any new grounds. The competition is far more advanced than in the old days so today an id software game doesn't really look more advanced than what else is on the marked.

To battle mutants in the sewers don't use a gun, just punch them. Seriously! Normal mutants go down to a single punch to the head or two or three to the body. Even slime mutants are quicker to punch to death than shoot to death. I discovered this in the first sewer and cleared all of them without firing a single shot (except at the one big mutant). Don't try this against firearm equipped foes, though...

Is that with the Anarchy Edition's Fists of Rage gloves, or normal gloves?

Because I have heard from others that the Fists of Rage are quite overpowered.
I have them myself, I just haven't used them much since I prefer shooting.

How's the difficulty level of this game? From some of the comments I've read, it sounds like it's a bit on the easy side.

Should receive my copy tomorrow, but I'm not sure if I'm going to install it right away.

I didn't put on any gloves or anything so I don't know.

I think they count as an upgrade and are therefor on automatically. Not even sure if you can remove them.

How's the difficulty level of this game? From some of the comments I've read, it sounds like it's a bit on the easy side.

Should receive my copy tomorrow, but I'm not sure if I'm going to install it right away.

I would also say that it does feel a bit more easy compared to other FPS. I play on normal and have had very few problems which is unusual for me. Coupled the fact that you can defib yourself which counts as a revive and a weapon (it has a cooldown though) I have yet to have to reload because of getting killed by an enemy.
And only had to defib myself a few times.

even on hard difficulty it wasn't to difficult except for a few times. i did actually die twice i think though that was earlier in the game. some of the bosses can do major damage, and on a few occasions you will have to fight swarms of usually mutants in excess of 50 just a one spot in a level. using fists in the game setting seemed absolutely absurd but i did through maybe one or two punches to see what it was like.
although the fists of rage seem to automatically replace normal fists they still count as 1 of your 4 weapon slots so no very far into the game i took them out of the lineup completely. the weapons in the in the game are one of its strong points, though never found much use for missle launcer and never even fired a bfg rocket. doubt they'd be nearly as cool as the rockets in lonesome road.

I guess I must have then because they are in slot 1. How do you normally "equip" your fists if you don't have them? For that matter, are there more than 10 weapons even in the game?

The missile launcher is good for taking out the heavily armored guys. Even if it doesn't knock them down you can then easily take them out with another gun.

The pistol is amazingly effective if you use the monocular and go for head shots.

As for death I died even with the revive thing quite a bit early on before I got used to things and then again several times in the final few battles.

Well. I like it.

Except for one thing: racing. I'm not good at it. In fact I'm VERY not good at it, so at the moment I'm stuck at the beginning of Wellspring. :(

Says pibbur who knows that for many of you this is piece-of-cake.

Finally won the mandatory race in Wellspring. Everyone seems impressed. YAAAY!

Puh!

says pibbur who still doesn't like it, the racing part. And who has died several times on normal difficulty. And who therefore sighs.

Back
Top Bottom