Recommend a Game

Lucky Day

Daywatch
For the past 6 or so years I've been playing three games:

FICS chess
Civ 4 and
FTL

in rotation. Yes I've gotten into PoE and Lords of Xulima but I played them to the end, or near the end in the case of PoE. Of course, I've also made my own game in the meantime :)

So I came up with the idea of a Recommend a Game for a thread. This is different from what I've been playing lately because this is first and foremost and idea for recommending games, past and preset.

Now for me personally I did care for the Gothics, and I don't like the trend of "dark and gritty" and "mature" games so, unfortunately, I've been turned off on a lot of games lately. Can you recommend anything?

Now for me personally I did care for the Gothics, and I don't like the trend of "dark and gritty" and "mature" games so, unfortunately, I've been turned off on a lot of games lately. Can you recommend anything?

Invisible inc is an easy game to get into. It has turn based stealth combat.

You can get it on gog relatively cheap too I think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Civ 6 is going to be released. Filthy Robot is a hardened veteran of the series, received a pre release build and is streaming it quite a lot.

If you enjoy Civ 4 have you tried the Fall from Heaven mods. I am playing those again and they are fantastic. Also, if you are a Civilization fan I would recommend Eador Genesis. I have been playing Eador for over 3 years now and I usually get sick of games after awhile.

I do not know how to rank them but I would say Civ 4, HoMM 3 and Eador Genesis are my favorite strategy games. I play them all modded.

Since you're not looking for "dark and gritty" games I guess I'll forgo my usual recommendations of Age of Decadence, Dead State, and Shadowrun: Dragonfall / Hong Kong (although it's about as bright and cheery as cyberpunk gets)… Oops I guess I just sort of recommended them anyway :p

Also recommend:

Expeditions: Conquistador- Excellent TBS / RPG hybrid. If colonization sounds rather bleak, you can play as a friend to the natives rather than a conqueror

Legends of Eisenwald- nice fast-paced turn-based combat in a fairy-tale esque medieval (low) fantasy world.

Divinity: Original Sin- Has a nice tactical battle system with interactive environments. A lot of qualities I didn't care for (lots of boring loot and tedious crafting, too many trash encounters) Has a very silly light-hearted fairy tale fantasy setting and story that doesn't take itself very seriously, so I don't think anyone would accuse it of being dark and gritty.

Last edited:
I do need to get back to Shadowrun. I enjoyed those. I was right at the end of that.

Civ 6 I am keeping an eye on. It has to have real navies (inland harbours?) and be fun. I was never a fan of Civ 3 unfortunately. With Civ 4 I've played a number of mods including Fall from Heaven. Great fun.

Eador Genesis looks very interesting. I've played a lot of HoMM3 in the past. Loved those first few HoMM games and King's Bounty.

Age of Decadence I looked forward to for ages but I just can't get over the lack of a free camera.

Eisenwald looks good but it has that minimalist console feel that throws me off. Maybe in a few years when I get used to that style...

Expeditions: Conquistador I thought was something else. Looks interesting.

D:OS has gotten a lot of news on this site. I did like DivDiv even with the weird name. Its what Diablo should have been: a real RPG. I've been waiting for the price to come down to drop the dime. How is that "M" rating? Blood and violence doesn't usually have such a rating.

I shall check out Invisible Inc.

Age of Decadence I looked forward to for ages but I just can't get over the lack of a free camera.

I haven't played AoD since the final Beta version, but I thought I remember it having a free camera. By "free" you mean the option to unlock it from you character and scroll around right? I thought there was a button to toggle that, but I could be wrong.

I haven't played AoD since the final Beta version, but I thought I remember it having a free camera. By "free" you mean the option to unlock it from you character and scroll around right? I thought there was a button to toggle that, but I could be wrong.

If that's what Lucky means then yes there is. I always play it in that way.

If you want an easy to get into game, which is not gritty at all, I would say Highlands. Although it is very simple. I would recommend to play at least on Normal, if not Hard if you want a challenge.

It's a turn-based resource-management scenario driven game. It's relatively short, so I would recommend picking it up on a sale, but it's quite good. Not really RPGish though.

Eisenwald looks good but it has that minimalist console feel that throws me off. Maybe in a few years when I get used to that style…

Hmm, I'm not really sure what you mean by this. Are you talking about the visuals / UI or something about the gameplay? FWIW I thought the combat system seemed overly simplistic when I tried out the beta but upon playing the game during the full release it really grew on me. There's just enough tactics involved to keep the results from being predetermined yet still be very fast-paced and not rely on a RNG as many turn-based games do. So while I still generally prefer more complex tactical turn-based systems, this is something that is nice for a change.

Expeditions: Conquistador I thought was something else. Looks interesting.

It's a really good game. I think the main shortcoming is that your character does not participate in battles…. Also the RPG elements are on the light side (I might describe it as X-com set in 16th Century Hispaniola / Mexico). Logic Artists is improving on both of these areas in Expeditions: Viking; the player character will fight in battles and there will be full fledged stats / advancement for the characters. But Conquistador is definitely worth playing.

D:OS has gotten a lot of news on this site. I did like DivDiv even with the weird name. Its what Diablo should have been: a real RPG. I've been waiting for the price to come down to drop the dime. How is that "M" rating? Blood and violence doesn't usually have such a rating.

I'm actually a bit surprised it got an "M" as from what I remember the blood / violence is rather cartoonish. Maybe it is just the sheer amount… There's a fountain of blood and apparently "some areas depict large pools of blood amid dismembered limbs/entrails and human corpses". I haven't really played it in awhile but I really don't remember it being that gory so it might just be certain areas. Again, it's all pretty cartoony and generally kind of a light-hearted / fairy-tale style of fantasy.

Last edited:
I'm actually a bit surprised it got an "M" as from what I remember the blood / violence is rather cartoonish. Maybe it is just the sheer amount… There's a fountain of blood and apparently "some areas depict large pools of blood amid dismembered limbs/entrails and human corpses". I haven't really played it in awhile but I really don't remember it being that gory so it might just be certain areas. Again, it's all pretty cartoony and generally kind of a light-hearted / fairy-tale style of fantasy.

It's probably only because you can wear dirty panties in the game.

Really if you're a fan of Lords of Xulima, Shadowrun and FTL, and enjoyed the original DivineDiv, Divinity Original Sin might be the next to try for you, Lucky. It has the good elements from all those titles.

It's probably only because you can wear dirty panties in the game.
Any game that doesn't have that possibility cannot be called a good game.
Unless you're playing robots who need no rags or cavemen who still didn't invent it.

Did you play Risen 3? It's in a bundle at the moment. Or at least was a week ago.

How about Flames of Vengenance, the stand-alone add-on to Divinity 2? It funnels the good Larian story telling into a Gothic style hub structure. It's only 25-30 hours long. You can roll a new character or import from Divinity 2.

You could try Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning for something a bit different. It's a fairly open-world RPG with fun action combat and some really nice visuals. It has that sort of magical fantasy world feel.

You could try Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning for something a bit different. It's a fairly open-world RPG with fun action combat and some really nice visuals. It has that sort of magical fantasy world feel.

That is a long, long, long game. I really liked it but rushed near the end to finish it. I being someone that does every little quest there are 233 I do believe in that game. Stopped around 155 and completed the main quest.

That is a long, long, long game. I really liked it but rushed near the end to finish it. I being someone that does every little quest there are 233 I do believe in that game. Stopped around 155 and completed the main quest.

Yeah, it's a long game. I spent 250 or so hours playing it in one playthrough and didn't even see the last 2 entire zones.

I would put my vote on Divinity: Original Sin, too.

For 4X games, you should look into Endless Legends: http://store.steampowered.com/app/289130/

Oh, and for a quick bit of free fun, get the demo for Stanley Parable via the demo button here:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/221910/
The game itself is worth about $5 and often goes on sale so, if you like the demo, just pop the game onto your wish list and wait.

Vanquish! Best action game ( and shooter) ever made. If you want 100% pure, undistilled fun, that's as good as it gets.

Vanquish! Best action game ( and shooter) ever made. If you want 100% pure, undistilled fun, that's as good as it gets.

Best shooters ever? That would have to be the original-style DOOM games. DOOM, DOOM 2, Final DOOM and DOOM 64. I'd also recommend any of those games if you're in the mood for something different.

Divinity: Original Sin is a really good modern-old-school RPG, too. It's a pretty long game but it keeps introducing new things the whole way which makes it very hard to put down. Even after a 140 hour playthrough I wanted more...

Back
Top Bottom