Rediscovering JRPG

mute

Sentinel
Well, i think i have missed out on some games. Mostly because they where stamped with JRPG on their foreheads. I have tried some games earlier and never really appreciated the save crystal/book/point methods and since mostly my only JRPG before Lost Odessey was Final Fantasy VII i really thought all JRPG had random invisible turnbased fights in them.

Hm i just realised how wrong i was.

I replayed Lost Odyssey this christmas and i must say i loved the experience. I followed that with Tales of Vesperia (altough it was fun the first 30 hour) it was getting old with the same and true fighting formula. But nervetheless. I was feeling it was something new. I had missed this genre completly. It felt sometimes like playing an adventure with fighting and roleplaying elements.

I got Last Remnant for PC on the Steam sale and when reading something some game developer said that JRPG doesn't try new thing i was really enjoying that new battle system. However, other parts in the game feel not as great, but i just played around 10 hours. It might take off. However, the battle system is really something i enjoy. And something new and fresh.

In my quest for JRPG i started to look at the PS2. I never owned one and never thought i would own one. I do not think Console gaming is for me. Despite lost odyssey and Tales of vesperia and my Xbox360 - i really never played as much as i've done lately on that console.

But i started to search for JRPGs for the PS2 and i also realized that Final Fantasy XIII is getting out in a couple of months and i never played any of them. Except for trying out FFVII in -97. I just wanted to get X and XII. So i bought it and i bought a PS2 Slim and started to play the first game that arrived. It was XII. I must say i was surprised with how fun it was and how similar it is to Dragon Age in how it plays. (The gambits is the tactics and so forth). I do enjoy XII more than DA mostly because i do not have the same enemy over and over and over again, and i do think i like my sofa better then my office chair. So if i would have gotten DA for my console perhaps that would have been a winner.

Well, i have alot more JRPG on the way these comming weeks, Digital Devil Saga is the one i am looking most for. But i think i am very glad i did try this genre out again. I judged all this games on my experience with FF VII and that it was branded as a JRPG. And since that game was the pinnacle of FF VII i would most likely not like another JRPG. But i was wrong.

I do like story heavy games. I don't feel like massive fedex sidequest bring more to the table. I am mostly a one time play through type of guy so maybe i enjoy these games for that. Its not a lot of dialouge drivel, its grand story type will probably get old when i played alot more. But i do think that JRPG and the ordinary RPG i played and loved isn't that far apart.

And one thing i love ist that there isn't any level scaling. I have been having alot of Bardstale (original) and Might and Magic IV moments now that makes me smile.

I just feel that all my RPG gaming since the 80:s has been revitalized. :)

If there is some PS2 JRPG i should try please give some hints!

The good thing about the FF series is that none of them are connected in any way, so you don't have to worry about missing anything from not playing prequels/sequels.

As far as PS2 RPGs go, there are 2 of the "Tales" series - Tales of the Abyss, and Tales of Legendia. There's also Dragon Quest VIII, the Xenosaga series, and Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land, to name a few

You'll have to check which games had a PAL region release.

PS2 is the console of choice for JRPG lovers. In addition to FF X and FF XII, you might also want to check out Dark Cloud 2, Kingdom Hearts, and Dragon Quest VIII. All are well-received, except by me. I tried them all and didn't like any of them, when I owned a PS2. I think JRPGs are an acquired taste, and I didn't acquire it until last year (with Lost Odyssey, like you).

I have played my JRPG's on teh DS & PSP, and like all of the ones mentioned, plus Disgaea 1 & 2. Not too big on the Star Ocean games, but if you can find a bargain ...

hmm.. I posted something here but can't see it, maybe I didn't click submit.
Try Persona 3 and 4.
There are literally dozens of RPGs in the PS2, in wildly different styles, so chances are there'll be some or other that are to your taste. Turn based, action, fantasy, space, easy, hard, emphasis on battles, story, crafting. Open world, storyline based, etc.
Check this page with a long list with their reviews...
http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews-ps2ed.html

I have played FF VII to XII, (with X-2 instead of XI).

Many say VII is the peak and I disagree. My favorite storywise so far is IX and it have quite good mechanics as well, and the best graphics I have seen on PS1.

Mechanically I prefer XII over the others, but I have to say that it have a weaker overall story and characters. I guess it's the western aspect of the game which remind me of a partybased freeroaming MMORPG.

VIII is often said to be bad, but it's usually thanks to one single mechanical aspect of the game. The greatest problem of it that the game doesn't inform you that there are alternatives to the most obvious action (draw magic), which means people will begin spending hours of pointless grinding to get 99 in every magic they encounter. For a video on how many players (including me) began the game, you can watch this video. Sure you can do it that way, but you realize later on that it's an unnecessary waste of time. You will get 99 at ease while playing the game without the need to grind and you can enjoy the game while doing it.
Once you are past that though you realize that the story is great and the game also have one of the best endings.

X and X-2 had a pretty interesting story and characters so it's playable even if it's not as good as the ones before that.

Last edited:
Hah, thirded on Lost Odyssey (power supply has failed on my pc and am playing that while awaiting repair and it's really perfectly okay).

Final Fantasy XII Revenant Wings very nearly put me off all attempts at JRPGs forever, at least on the DS.

Hm nice to see that i think i cornered most of the JRPG i should play. Its a bit of chore to get hold of them in sweden, but thanks to amazon many of them are available to purchase online. My girlfriend (that word alone makes me feel young) laughed at me this christmas when i scavanged all the games store (and supermarkets) for games to be played on my newly payed console. (A friend at work hinted to me that the new PS3 was the shit, but i ignored him).

I got hold of Valkyrie Profile 2 and Odin sphere to. I was intrigued by Valkyrie and as wolfling mentioned rpgfans listing of games helped me to recognise Odin sphere as a game that should be bought (when i saw it).

I have been having trouble with Dragon Quest. There is so many out there. But as i understand VIII seems to be the version to be on the look out for.

I also bought me Xenosaga 2 just now. 1 and 3 seems lost. But it looks like 2 can be played without having played part 1.

Two games thats intrigues me are Persona 3 and 4. But when i read about them i wonder if i am to old for them? It seems they would have been fun if i was 15-16?

I do have tried more JRPGs on my XBOX360 console. I do have Star Ocean 4 and Blue Dragon. But never played the second one and Star Ocean was lost in translation during this summer. But now i will get through them to. I realized that there is a little different "style" to playing a JRPG then to other RPGs. It is important to fight alot and it is important to level. One thing i didn't like with Lost Odyssey in the end was that i needed to do alot of level grinding. If i did know what to expect i would have taken that game in a much slower pace then i did.

But i learn.

Thanks for the ideas. Just read the Final Fantasy XIII review at rpgfan. And i think i will love that game when its arrived.

Two games thats intrigues me are Persona 3 and 4. But when i read about them i wonder if i am to old for them? It seems they would have been fun if i was 15-16?
Maybe I have the mind of a teenager. I loved both games and I'm 40. The way you get your demons, grow them up, mix them to create more powerful demons, and the change of pace from fighting at night to 'normal life' at day is very welcome. It also provides insight into japanese culture. I find them very well done. No grinding necessary and ability to skip battles a big plus for me.
I do have tried more JRPGs on my XBOX360 console. I do have Star Ocean 4 and Blue Dragon. But never played the second one and Star Ocean was lost in translation during this summer. But now i will get through them to. I realized that there is a little different "style" to playing a JRPG then to other RPGs. It is important to fight alot and it is important to level. One thing i didn't like with Lost Odyssey in the end was that i needed to do alot of level grinding. If i did know what to expect i would have taken that game in a much slower pace then i did.

Like you mention, some RPGs do require you to level-grind. I hate those games since I hate grinding. The games I like are the ones I can complete by just following the storyline, without having to run around in circles to level up. Specially bad in this aspect are the so called 'strategy RGPs' (which most of them are anything but strategy, requiring you to grind a lot).

My personal favorites are the already mentioned Persona 3 & 4, also Suikoden 3 (5 was good too, 4 sucked), Star Ocean 3 (first departure or something), the Shadow Hearts series (specially #2).
Also, not a standard RPG but a very well done strategy RPG for PS2 (and the original Xbox): Gladius. The best strategy RPG I've played by far. Awesome story, awesome strategy gameplay, many different units, many abilities, in short, really really good.

I got hold of Valkyrie Profile 2 and Odin sphere to. I was intrigued by Valkyrie and as wolfling mentioned rpgfans listing of games helped me to recognise Odin sphere as a game that should be bought (when i saw it).

I have been having trouble with Dragon Quest. There is so many out there. But as i understand VIII seems to be the version to be on the look out for.

I also bought me Xenosaga 2 just now. 1 and 3 seems lost. But it looks like 2 can be played without having played part 1.

Odin Sphere never appealed to me, but Xenosaga is fine. The problem is that the only available PAL version is Xenosaga 2 which is the worst of the three. If you have the option of playing NTSC games then better start with part 1.

The Persona games are odd stuff. The dating sim part and the tedious battles is not for everyone.
If someone liked FF:X then the LotR game is a nice diversion.

People who came late to the Playstation party should definitly look out for the excellent library of PS1 JRPGs. I am playing Legend of Dragoon and Grandia - both very fine games, even if Grandia is a bit childish and LoD a bit hamhanded sometimes.

People who came late to the Playstation party should definitly look out for the excellent library of PS1 JRPGs. I am playing Legend of Dragoon and Grandia - both very fine games, even if Grandia is a bit childish and LoD a bit hamhanded sometimes.
Yikes, at this time I feel like playing PS2 RPGs is already pushing it as playing old games go :)

Final Fantasy XII Revenant Wings very nearly put me off all attempts at JRPGs forever, at least on the DS.

Hehe ... you just failed 'kitten herding 101' ... :D

Seriously, it isn't really a JRPG as much as a RTS ...

Many say VII is the peak and I disagree. My favorite storywise so far is XI and it have quite good mechanics as well, and the best graphics I have seen on PS1.

I guess you mean IX ? anyway I am curious as to why you like IX more than VII ? ( assuming it is not only because of the graphics )

I completed almost all FF games 1 to 9 ( except 3 ( got to the final boss ) and 5 ( got to near the end ) ) and 6 and 7 are the best in the series in my opinion, probably 6 is the best...... but 7 is brilliant to especially since the story feels so relevant today!

@Wolfling since you are at my age, perhaps i should try Persona. I said to myself that i should play Digital Devil Saga first and see if i like the game direction they take on that, and then try persona4.

@JDR13 i currently went shopping through Amazon. They have the games we have mentioned here. And the price is between 10 and 30 GBP, which is ok with me. On the other hand i do purchase games now to be played in years to come. I honestly do not know how i will manage playing them all! :)

Hehe … you just failed 'kitten herding 101' … :D

Seriously, it isn't really a JRPG as much as a RTS …

The gameplay I could live with, it was the dialogue that made my very soul shrivel up like a salted slug.

Lost Odyssey's pretty good I have to admit. Got a bit annoyed with the ridiculously long funeral bit though, at the death itself I was quite impressed that they'd made it fairly poignant but after the gathering flowers quest, the gathering sticks quest, the waggling a torch around miniquest and the endless shots of wide eyed sad children (albeit with good graphics for the tears) I was very keen for them to just dump that corpse in the river because it had been flipping ages since I'd killed anything.

There's such a thing as too much plot I'm finding.

How is that spoilerish? Someone dies at some point and some children are unhappy and there's a big stupid funeral sequence, hardly giving away massive secrets that'll ruin it all for people.

Okay, someone playing it now might get to a death and then the next half an hour of gathering flowers, sticks and playing through a funeral won't seem like much of a surprise, but then on the flip side it might encourage them to just skip it which would be for the best tbh.

I agree Benedict. First time i played Lost Odyssey there wasn't any means to install the disc to the harddrive. Which ment my Xbox360 did get alot of read error,
and since the lengthy scene and my Xbox habit to crash while reading the disc, and that it took almost an hour to finish this without the ability to save. It was very frustrating. And it didn't add anything to the plot. It could have been handled within 2 min and begone.

This last time with the ability to install the game i enjoyed it more. But i agree with you that that game sequence was just meh. It isn't any spolierish either i think.
But people deciding that the game is bad after the first disc, do yourself a favour and continue the game. :)

I don't think anything within my spoiler tags are spoilers but if youre afraid of ruining the game don't read...

I guess you mean IX ? anyway I am curious as to why you like IX more than VII ? ( assuming it is not only because of the graphics )

Yes, IX. I think I like it because it have a great attention to personal struggle, an aspect that fits my interest in psychology. The developers put characters in priority during the development and I think it shows. Each of the main character have some sort of identity conflict about who they are and what role they should have. Many of these identity conflicts are within our everyday lives where as the events in FFVII doesn't feel remotely close to the struggles we fight every day.

Also FFIX triggered far more emotions than the other titles. It brought me to tears more than once. Also I liked the equipment system more than the materia system as it feels bit more like RPG's I am used to. I like customizing my inventory since Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale.

But of course, I wouldn't ask a player to turn away from any of the series, FFVII is still one of the best games I played, but somehow I remember the others more despite playing them reasonably close to eachother. I tend to remember emotions longer than details.

I completed almost all FF games 1 to 9 ( except 3 ( got to the final boss ) and 5 ( got to near the end ) ) and 6 and 7 are the best in the series in my opinion, probably 6 is the best…… but 7 is brilliant to especially since the story feels so relevant today!

I have heard that the 6th is the best from far more fans than said 7 is the best. I assume more simply have played 7 since it was 3d and released on PS1.
I have been planning to play #6 for a couple of years now. I even bought the PS1 version a couple of years back. Other games ended up first though.

Back
Top Bottom