Regarding the giving and receiving of sexist offence

Yup, I get it. Just thought it could just as well have been at me, if you wanted to go that way. :D

Just ignore him. He's a conspiratorial thinker who sees intentional patterns where there are none.
I agree that i am a conspiratorial thinker, but i disagree there are no patterns to justify my thoughts.

I don't see how my posts were off topic. They were all about moderation, which is why y'all dumped this thread down here in the first place.

Edit: And you can speak for yourself about what you thought about me barking at you, Overlt, but I only did it when you started up with those BS propaganda-style posts and trying to start up some random crap. Personally, I thought we had a fine conversation after that.

2nd Edit:
Good Lord, we have Codex buttons now? That ought to encourage conversation and reasonable discourse amongst people of differing views. Just look at the other examples...

Last edited:
And you can speak for yourself about what you thought about me barking at you, Overlt, but I only did it when you started up with those BS propaganda-style posts and trying to start up some random crap. Personally, I thought we had a fine conversation after that.
I have no issues with people insulting me or what not. But I take it was a win when people insult me and not address what I said, because in my mind it means what I said is true. That is why I didn't respond.

Well, whether or not the intention was a sexist joke, I think a reasonable person would take this as one (not quite the exact image, but essentially the same.)

chicks.jpg

And, let's be very clear again - I think this is fine, because I think the lightheartedness of it is implicit. I'm not 'triggered', God help us. If it's not a joke, I think that's a different problem.

But, I think what you're doing is an example of special pleading; when you do it, it's somehow fine - we just didn't understand the special circumstances. Imagine that image was reversed - would there be any context in which that would seem OK, and should anyone give it the benefit of the doubt?

With regard to jokes about black people or Jews, I think it unlikely that anything in such blatant style could be taken in good humour. But, I do think there are gentle, well-meant jokes about other cultures that can be done. Certainly most of the black and Jewish people I know can take a joke, as can the vast majority of women.
I'd take that image more as light-hearted, but still misandrist if I didn't have context.

In general I don't complain about other people's jokes, even if it's something I find offensive, unless it's obvious they use it to hurt someone.

I do think the more sensitive the subject, the better it is to post it in the P&R jokes thread.

I agree that i am a conspiratorial thinker, but i disagree there are no patterns to justify my thoughts.
I'm not saying there are no patterns, but that you see intent in them and with more confirmation bias than most.

I think I shouldn't have posted that first post, since it is waaay off-topic, but since I saw @Capt. Huggy Face get so riled up in several threads from your posts, I thought I should help him calm down.

I'm not saying there are no patterns, but that you see intent in them and with more confirmation bias than most.
I can say that isn't true. Being from a born again Christian household does that to a person. Even though I no longer believe in a literal God, I deviate to confirmation bias a lot.

I'd take that image more as light-hearted, but still misandrist if I didn't have context.

In general I don't complain about other people's jokes, even if it's something I find offensive, unless it's obvious they use it to hurt someone.
Yes, that's exactly how I see it. I think it's better to err on the side of tolerance, because if we go down the road of avoiding anything of potential offence to anyone, we'd have a very anodyne discussion community that wouldn't last very long.

But, what I'm getting at, is if we're playing that game, that image is far more overtly sexist and offensive. I don't think it's too hard to imagine circumstances where there are men or boys in the world who wouldn't appreciate that at all.

One positive I thing I see, is that the younglings coming up have a much more balanced approach to questions of male and female. If I showed that image to a classroom, and asked if that was sexist and problematic, I'd put money on getting a unanimous 'yes'.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom