Return of the Daily Smile

I don't understand the "Snake & Bacon" strip. Can somebody please explain it to me ?
(Apart from the nearly kafkaesk situation.)

I don't understand the "Snake & Bacon" strip. Can somebody please explain it to me ?
(Apart from the nearly kafkaesk situation.)

It's sort of Spike Milligan, Monty Pythonesque absurdist humour. It's a clichéd movie scene, where the police chief dresses down the cops who don't play by the rules, but the cops are a snake and a lump of bacon.

It the kind of humour that either appeals to you or not, but it's not like a literal-minded joke, with a setup and a punchline.

…which makes me think of Spike Milligan's Pakistani Daleks. (Actually, although this appears to absurd, the line at the end, "this is what's wrong with this country", shows it's also a satire on attititudes to immigrants.)

It's sort of Spike Milligan, Monty Pythonesque absurdist humour. It's a clichéd movie scene, where the police chief dresses down the cops who don't play by the rules, but the cops are a snake and a lump of bacon.

It the kind of humour that either appeals to you or not, but it's not like a literal-minded joke, with a setup and a punchline.

Ah, okay. :D With "Monty Python", things become much clearer for me. :D

A while ago a journalist told us what he wold do if he ever got to be the big boss of Norway. One of those things was to prohibit any pop/rock band to do more than 5 farewell tours.

I admit that it's only a couple of days since I announced my (temporary) leave, which btw lackblogger seemed to appreciate :). But, sad to say, sometimes the real world intrudes upon the best of intentions and the following is simply too good to ignore.

Recently there was a TV debate between leaders of Sweden's political parties. It seems that there were supposted to be subtitles, presumably for hearing impaired. (Un)fortunately in stead of the expected subtitles, apparently subtitles from a children's tv show where selected, which added another dimension to the debate. The following link (http://www.nrk.no/kultur/viste-partilederdebatt-med-undertekster-fra-barne-tv-1.12751845) is in Norwegian, and the pictures show the subtitles in Swedish. But I have taken the liberty to translate them into English.

Picture 1 (above the text):
"I have two pairs of boots. One pair is red, the other is yellow." //Continues on picture 8.

Picture 2:
"The latest invention: the fantastic dinosaur train … submarine"

Picture 3:
"Pity that there are no trains able to travel under water without rails".

Picture 4:
"Will you be travelling under water today?"
"yes"

Picture 5:
"Tickets please. Good morning, Pteranodon family".

Picture 6:
"I will build the best sand castle in the galaxy"

Picture 7:
"Drop norms. Dinosaurs do come in different shapes"

Picture 8:
"Which pair should I choose. I'll ask my dolls."

Pictures 9:
"Greetings, earthling".

The one talking about dinosaur trains is the Swedish prime minister.

Admittedly, this was from Norwegian news media. I can't guarantee that what really happened was exactly as described.

pibbur who still sort of claims to not be here.

PS. I realize that some watchers now may bring forth (hostile) general comments about politicians. I shall not be held accountable for such remarks. Long live Stalin! DS.

Last edited:
It seems to me that every country enjoys making fun of the people from another close by country or state. For the Brits it's the Irish; for Canucks it's Newfies; for Aussies it's Kiwis; etc, etc!! Perhaps others would like to share their thoughts, I'm sure the Swedes would!! :)

It seems to me that every country enjoys making fun of the people from another close by country or state. […] Perhaps others would like to share their thoughts, I'm sure the Swedes would!! :)

There is in fact an entire webcomic devoted to what Sweden thinks of the world and the world of Sweden.

We-should-be-friends.jpg

I don't get it as well.

I guess it means that in a world of plentiful choice, the vegan comes and blatantly invades your space in the most annoying way possible.

Reminds me of the "anti-smoking" culture I have recently seen ... But in the end, he could be a fanatic of *any* kind ...

All forms of pleasure are ideological!

fingerbun.jpg

Reminds me of the "anti-smoking" culture I have recently seen … But in the end, he could be a fanatic of *any* kind …

Yes, I thought that as well. It's probably a blank meme and people can add whatever punchline they like.

I don't get that joke.

pibbur

I don't get it as well.

I guess it means that in a world of plentiful choice, the vegan comes and blatantly invades your space in the most annoying way possible.

It is a comic about how some vegans have an overwhelming desire to make it known they are vegan no matter what situation the are in. In the comic a person is doing something completely unrelated and a vegan invades their personal space to say they are vegan. And thus generalisations are made about vegans much to the annoyance of normal vegans.

Isn't the term 'normal vegan' an oxymoron?!! :)

A while ago a journalist told us what he wold do if he ever got to be the big boss of Norway. One of those things was to prohibit any pop/rock band to do more than 5 farewell tours.

I admit that it's only a couple of days since I announced my (temporary) leave, which btw lackblogger seemed to appreciate :). But, sad to say, sometimes the real world intrudes upon the best of intentions and the following is simply too good to ignore.

Recently there was a TV debate between leaders of Sweden's political parties. It seems that there were supposted to be subtitles, presumably for hearing impaired. (Un)fortunately in stead of the expected subtitles, apparently subtitles from a children's tv show where selected, which added another dimension to the debate. The following link (http://www.nrk.no/kultur/viste-partilederdebatt-med-undertekster-fra-barne-tv-1.12751845) is in Norwegian, and the pictures show the subtitles in Swedish. But I have taken the liberty to translate them into English.

Picture 1 (above the text):
"I have two pairs of boots. One pair is red, the other is yellow." //Continues on picture 8.

Picture 2:
"The latest invention: the fantastic dinosaur train … submarine"

Picture 3:
"Pity that there are no trains able to travel under water without rails".

Picture 4:
"Will you be travelling under water today?"
"yes"

Picture 5:
"Tickets please. Good morning, Pteranodon family".

Picture 6:
"I will build the best sand castle in the galaxy"

Picture 7:
"Drop norms. Dinosaurs do come in different shapes"

Picture 8:
"Which pair should I choose. I'll ask my dolls."

Pictures 9:
"Greetings, earthling".

The one talking about dinosaur trains is the Swedish prime minister.

Admittedly, this was from Norwegian news media. I can't guarantee that what really happened was exactly as described.

pibbur who still sort of claims to not be here.

PS. I realize that some watchers now may bring forth (hostile) general comments about politicians. I shall not be held accountable for such remarks. Long live Stalin! DS.

Well, in all honesty it makes a lot more sense than a lot of things our prime minister has been saying.... he has like the lowest rating of any prime minister in Sweden ever.

Back
Top Bottom