RIP Steve Jobs

RIP from me too.

>Youd think by this point we'd have solved this particular rubix cube (cancer).

I wouldn't. It is a very complex group of diseases and we're far from solving it. For some cancers prognosis has improved significantly. For others there haven't been any real progress for more than 30 years. Pancreatic cancers are bad. Although Jobs had a rare form with better prognosis, I'm still surprised he stayed with us as long as he did.

He was a brilliant innovator and even more brilliant in business actually what he did to apple is unsurpassed in business history.

RIP Steve Jobs

Thought I would add this that I stole from another board. It really sums up how I feel about his death:

And of course, as I watched the various tributes last night, what I kept coming back to was the simple, background stuff that hardly merited mention -- he was a husband and a father. He was 56. He died too young. He left behind a family. Stack all the accolades you want. Give a man all the money you can imagine. He's still a fragile being living in an arbitrary world. He was a visionary billionaire. But in the end, he's a dead husband and father. I found that fundamental truth to be quite sobering.

I lost my mom to pancreatic cancer and it's a devastating way to die. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I really feel for his family. The billions won't really offset the grief. On a more positive note, I still get to see my mom in dreams and it's really helpful. May his family dream positive dreams of Steve for years.

R.I.P. Steve Jobs.

And thanks for being a visionary man, an uneducated man, nonetheless, who always followed your heart.

And by that, I mean, the head the courage and the vision to see opportunities in how for instance tablet pcs could be improved, smartphones could be improved - and made user friendly for all.

In one of the eulogys in a Danish newspaper it was said that the (greek) gods finally called him home - because they feared he would compete with them. And maybe he would :) I'm sure his family will have positive dreams of him just as Steve Jobs had (has) positive dreams of what technology can do for us. And the means to realize it....

They'd just be supplying someone else.

I agree with that. That's sadly how "the markt" works.

And the worst thing is that we just can't do much abourt it - apart from telling people how the stuff used for the manufacturing of these "small devices" is taken from the earth.

I personally don't correlate what people say about people with the sadness of their death, so I don't really see what relevance Apple has.

Way too young and sad indeed.

There wouldn't exist facilities with 12 hours of working time with paymet of 1 cent or similar per day and there would be less suicides.
Guys, honestly, I respect his vision, but the price was too expensive. The world lost just another dictator which is not a bad thing no matter anyone says.

Feel free to spit on me, but I won't change my opinion just because now he's dead. I only hope that now when he's gone, Apple will stop the practice of turning ppl into slaves.
May he rest in peace.

I don't want to turn this thread into an argument but there's a substantial chance whatever device you used to type that reply had some componentry supplied by Foxconn, which makes you (and I) as much a part of the problem as Steve Jobs.

People would be slaves with or without Steve Jobs. I'm sure he felt that his influence was for the better, which is extremely in keeping with how people are raised in the capitalistic world.

I find the focus on individuals over other individuals extremely disturbing and destructive, but I think that's the topic for another thread.

Either way, it doesn't take away the sadness of human beings that don't get to live a full life.

Throughout the history of the industrial age the products we use have been made by and large by underpaid, overworked, oppressed and exploited workers.

First in Europe and the US, moving after WWII to Japan, then to Korea, and Taiwan/Hong Kong, then to India and China.

In each place an atmosphere of low wages, low regulation over work conditions and environmental regard and treatment of workers and a desperate desire by the government to seek prosperity through importing work allowed these things to perpetuate until they were brought to light and workers demanded more money and better treatment ... then the manufacturing moved elsewhere.

Blaming the entire history of labor strife on one person whose products have been made at one place for 4 years is ... well, out of touch with reality. As is the assumption that the death you celebrate will do ANYTHING to help the downtrodden workers of FoxConn (and other places waiting in line to replace them!)

Its is sad that someone died so young however I don't like many things Apple and him stood for… so I won't miss him personally...

A really great man died recently but that did not get much press like this one. He was called Dennis Ritchie and one of the creator of the C programming language and developer on Unix.

Well no one said life is fair....

I thought this was interesting, if a bit heavy handed

So .. trashing someone else who died is a good thing ... what a fucking douchebag approach!

Dennis Ritchie was about increasing knowledge, and was reportedly a generally good man - never met him but certainly benefitted from his innovations. I somehow doubt that he would support the total a$$hattery in your image.

cool your jets, Mike. It's not MY image, it's an image that someone sent me and I thought was interesting, because of the fact that this guy was undoubtedly a geek god too - yet I havent seen or heard anything of his passing.

So .. trashing someone else who died is a good thing … what a fucking douchebag approach!

Dennis Ritchie was about increasing knowledge, and was reportedly a generally good man - never met him but certainly benefitted from his innovations. I somehow doubt that he would support the total a$$hattery in your image.

Have you considered that he posted that image because he found it interesting, and not because of the "asshattery"?

I'd never heard of Dennis Ritchie, which is exactly what makes it interesting.

Just another example of how worshipping individuals can be so destructive to reality.

Have you considered that he posted that image because he found it interesting, and not because of the "asshattery"?

I'd never heard of Dennis Ritchie, which is exactly what makes it interesting.

Just another example of how worshipping individuals can be so destructive to reality.

Actually ... for those who DID know of Ritchie, DID use K&R extensively and DID know about his death - there were PLENTY of available POSITIVE sources that highlight his contribution without belittling another recently dead person in order to push a personal agenda. Just because Ritchie isn't on the cover of a dozen magazines doesn't mean his passing wasn't noticed or appreciated.

Words matter.

And by choosing to publish THAT image rather than one simply celebrating the life of Ritchie, be belittles the memory of one who HAS contributed greatly to our lives.

And I agree that the worship of individuals - and the subsequent bent of those who do 'anti-worship', or seek to tear down at all costs - can definitely have negative effects. That has been a side-effect of pop culture for a very, very long time.

Actually … for those who DID know of Ritchie, DID use K&R extensively and DID know about his death - there were PLENTY of available POSITIVE sources that highlight his contribution without belittling another recently dead person in order to push a personal agenda. Just because Ritchie isn't on the cover of a dozen magazines doesn't mean his passing wasn't noticed or appreciated.

I'm not claiming it was unnoticed - I'm just pointing out the obvious truth that it was noticed A LOT less.

Words matter.

And by choosing to publish THAT image rather than one simply celebrating the life of Ritchie, be belittles the memory of one who HAS contributed greatly to our lives.

I'm not going to get into what it means to contribute to life with you, but I don't see how it belittles anything. Probably because I don't recognise the difference in "size" between individuals I don't know.

And I agree that the worship of individuals - and the subsequent bent of those who do 'anti-worship', or seek to tear down at all costs - can definitely have negative effects. That has been a side-effect of pop culture for a very, very long time.

I agree, though I hope you're not implying the posting of the picture was part of an effort to "tear down at all costs".

Likely, it was an effort to demonstrate the problem with worshipping individuals, and as such I'm fine with it being "anti-worshipping" because that's exactly what I think is the most healthy approach for everyone in the world.

Back
Top Bottom