Risen 2 - First Reviews

I like RPGFan but I've never been a fan of this particular reviewer,

Yeah, maybe I've been reading only from that guy coincidentaly. Some quotes that make this review throwaway for me :

Completing the game often feels like a Sisyphean task, as one chore leads to another: beat someone in a swordfight to challenge someone else to a drinking contest to convince the water carriers to carry water to your ship to collect six objects to obtain one of four artifacts.

Sounds ok…

When not being repetitive, Risen 2 produces vague quest goals and difficult to find triggers. I appreciate when actual roleplaying is required to complete quests, but not when a poor localization makes conversation incoherent and quest objectives mysterious.

Um yeah, I am sure its the localization (please give me quest markers)…

And pretty much everything there:

All the while, the player accrues gold, items, equipment, and "glory," or experience. The islanders are a load of stingy bastards, however, and scrabbling together enough gold and glory to improve the protagonist can be another chore by itself. Instead of levels, Risen 2 uses a system of skills and talents that is both confusing and overly puzzling. Talents, which increase basic damage or effectiveness, can be increased with vast amounts of glory. Skills, which include parries, ripostes, and voodoo curses, can only be improved by paying a specific trainer. Determining each talent's function as well its actual gameplay effects while trying to earn enough gold to learn skills makes for an unpleasant experience. As I increased my swordfighting skill to high levels toward the end of the game, I never felt much more powerful, but I feared to pursue other paths.

Since resources are scarce, I felt that any choice I made with my talents and skills would be the wrong one. As I progressed through the game, more and more seemed to be shut off from my abilities: I could never talk my way out of a fight, eventually every treasure chest was locked, and voodoo became underpowered and useless. The effect is unbelievably stifling. For a game that advertises a sense of freedom and choice in completing quests, this is deplorable. After allocating glory to talents and putting the protagonist on one path, the lack of resources closes off all other avenues. All this might be less of an issue if the combat wasn't so mercilessly, punishingly awful that the player needs every skill, ability, and gold piece he can muster.

Anyways I am done reading reviews. I have already bought and it is what it is for me ;) I hear Arx calling me…

Does anyone actually take IGN's score on any RPG as a relevant one?
Sorry, but I usually ignore reading IGN and Gamespot when it's about RPG.

Now... Those other reviews seem pretty positive except RPGfan one who disliked the gameplay overall (and gave only 25% of possible 100% to that segment) and I fear that he might be right, or he didn't play the game long enough as Destructiod reviewer who says "The frustration of getting trapped in the corner by a faster opponent never lets up, but once players get strong enough to soak it up and hit back, the feeling of relief and vindication is remarkable.".

So somehow I feel all those reviewers got mixed emotions. Seems some love the game, some hate it. Let's see what will other sites say.

I wouldn't worry about IGN's score; I'd worry about the content of the review. The guy is obviously familiar with the strengths of PB's games and he's saying that this one doesn't measure up. I hope he's wrong.

Business as usual. I bet half the reviewers didn't play for much more than 10 hours.
Wait a few weeks until the scores stabilize.

Though flawed, Risen represented a distilled version of the Gothic formula…

This is an interesting criticism IGN delivers to Risen but is nowhere to be found in their review of Arcania (deserving this criticism much more by far) which they gave a score of 7.5.

Yeah, maybe I've been reading only from that guy coincidentaly. Some quotes that make this review throwaway for me :

Sounds ok…

Um yeah, I am sure its the localization (please give me quest markers)…

And pretty much everything there:

Anyways I am done reading reviews. I have already bought and it is what it is for me ;) I hear Arx calling me…

Yeah, some of those things actually sound like positives rather than negatives to me. I like slow progression and a sparse economy. I have to wonder what he'd make of NotR.

Yeah, some of those things actually sound like positives rather than negatives to me. I like slow progression and a sparse economy.

Not only are they all positive but (concerning gameplay) they are a few of the last remaining elements of the series strength and hardcore appeal imho...

I have to wonder what he'd make of NotR.
Die of apoplexy ? Have a hissy fit frothing at the mouth ? o_O

The first Risen endured similar, if not slightly worse reviews. I just don't think this kind of game is digestible for the masses. I'm still excited and expect to enjoy it. Risen 1 was an amazing game.

Do any reviews mention the Treasure Isle DLC? I didn't see it anywhere.

The Treasure Isle DLC wasn't a part of the review copy.

The IGN review really disturbs me. Not only is it written by someone who appears to know what they're taking about (for a change), but it seems PB dropped the ball on their core strength: exploration.

He has a point. I don't feel as strongly about it as he does, but exploration has certainly changed and been impacted. But that was the case for Risen 1 too. I don't feel they dropped the ball, though.

Risen 1 was an amazing game.

If you feel this way, you will enjoy Risen 2. As long as you like the pirate setting.

If you feel this way, you will enjoy Risen 2. As long as you like the pirate setting.

Excellent. This style of game-play and exploration is really my niche, and games like it don't come around all that often.

I don't get it why ppl mention about pirate setting as is not true to the game, as I remember correct you even did a few quests related and even found some treasure chests that where buried underground, what ppl expected theme of second game to be I don't understand. Yes I enjoyed most the part where you where living in swamp but I don't know, second game is supposed to offer other type of experience as the story progress.

30 hours is an okay length for such a game. That is as long as the last third or so of the game doesn't seriously drop the ball like almost every PB game so far has done.

30 hours is an okay length for such a game. That is as long as the last third or so of the game doesn't seriously drop the ball like almost every PB game so far has done.

30 hours for a normal price is much better than the normal 6-10 hours other games tend to give nowadays. Still need to finish Risen and a bunch of other games so will get this one from a holiday sale somewhere :)

So, according to the two most trustworthy gaming sites, Risen 2 is worse than ArcaniA (IGN), but it is better than The Witcher 2 (Destructoid), help me out here! :)

Personally I was quite worried the game will suck, but some of the stuff listed as negatives actually alleviates my worries quite a bit.
For example, from RPGFan: "Since resources are scarce, I felt that any choice I made with my talents and skills would be the wrong one. As I progressed through the game, more and more seemed to be shut off from my abilities: I could never talk my way out of a fight, eventually every treasure chest was locked, and voodoo became underpowered and useless."
Not much of an RPGFan, are we?
Etc.

I´ve no doubts the game has issues, but so far my net impression from the reviews is that it´s a very good game, despite some of these trying to justify it´s otherwise.

Last edited:
PB games usually get mixed reviews. I'm okay with that.

There's only one thing that troubles me:
Piranha Bytes continues the trend of making its signature style of role-playing more digestible in Risen 2: Dark Waters, though in the process thins out too much of the series' fascinating density.

Back
Top Bottom