Risen 3: Titan Lords - First 60 Minutes

You won't believe this!
They've unlocked Risen 3 on Steam in EU!!!

I'm serious. No VPN, no crap, no cheat, not crack, no whatever.
Just open Steam and run the game.

EDIT:

Don't ALT+TAB, the game will crash so you have to kill it with task manager!
Here's a pic I just made as a proof although perhaps I should run it in windowed mode with RPGwatch forum in the background:
2hdpeyt.jpg

The Last Remnant can go &%R&#$& itself now. I'm on Risen 3!!!

You won't believe this!
They've unlocked Risen 3 on Steam (at least in EU).

I'm serious. No VPN, no crap, no cheat, not crack, no whatever.
Just open Steam and run the game.

Yep, unlocked for us too - I checked before work this morning and quickly fired it up (I had it preloaded ;-) - thats' when it locked up :-/ Will look at it tonight (in between marking papers etc...better work, or there will be a lot of sad students when they see their marks :p

The metacritic user score shows that Risen 3 is a love/hate affair:

The users vote 10 or 0 -> that's 5 as average.

The 0s are coming from two factions:
Old hardcore Gothic fans: The game is too casual and linear, combat is a joke
New console buyers: The game is too hardcore and has ugly gfx and bad controls

The rest loves the game…

I think metacritic should post standard deviation if they don't already :)

Just to add before I dive into it completely, it's #1 Steam topseller today, probably because of the decision to unlock it earlier than was announced.

Error or not, Steam's or Deep Silver's decision, this was a good choice to do.
Cya guys later after I see the postnuclear beach and stuff to rant about. ;)

Ok, seems the hiccup that locked up my game was some one off oddity with the tutorial keypress not being registered (i.e. press w+w )...it all works perfectly now. Erm, so how can I make it look better? Any tweaks to increase LOD/view distance etc further ? I have maxed out everything, and doesn't look much better. Just started on tutorial island, looks nice but my eyes are bleeding from that glare!

Here in Brazil was also unlocked early (yesterday), but only managed to play a bit because my game decided to start in german language and when I change it, the client downloaded more 1.6 GB of data...

Are the sys reqs the same as risen 2?

Yes, roughly the same. The game is VERY easy on hardware. My GPU almost never runs at 100% but it actually clocks down (adaptive power management and all that) while only using between 750 and 850MB of VRAM. And the CPU seems to not even be used. It barely ever shows a few percent of activity and mostly just on a single core.

Yes, roughly the same. The game is VERY easy on hardware. My GPU almost never runs at 100% but it actually clocks down (adaptive power management and all that) while only using between 750 and 850MB of VRAM. And the CPU seems to not even be used. It barely ever shows a few percent of activity and mostly just on a single core.

Thanks.

I should clarify with HT I have 12 cores. Anything over 8 causes the came to be unable to even start the game as it gets stuck in an endless safe loop at the beginning. The game was unlocked for NA since the 12th but I haven't played anything yet. The developer knows about this problem but so far has released no patch. Not sure when they will.

Not that it would be a convenient workaround, but has anyone having 8+ cores tried to run it in a virtual machine which runs on less cores?

I've been playing it, there's nothing wrong with how the games runs. It's just kind of boring. Also, I feel misled about the atmosphere/setting.

Well after everything I've read here and wog, the general consensus seems be that Risen 3 is better than risen 2 and feels almost like risen 1.

So I'm getting this at the end of summer when I've more time to play videogames :) I'm hoping that pbs have released a patch by then.

And I wonder what piranha bytes will do next…

I've been playing it, there's nothing wrong with how the games runs. It's just kind of boring. Also, I feel misled about the atmosphere/setting.
Go on?

Is it more of a pirate setting than you thought or less? From the early information it seemed like PB was moving away from a pirate setting and toward a setting more like Risen 1. But from watching some vidoes it seems quite piratey. Anyone who has played R3 who can elaborate on the setting?

Is it more of a pirate setting than you thought or less? From the early information it seemed like PB was moving away from a pirate setting and toward a setting more like Risen 1. But from watching some vidoes it seems quite piratey. Anyone who has played R3 who can elaborate on the setting?

It's a mix. You play as Patty's brother and you are (well… were ;) ) a somewhat famous pirate captain so of course there is plenty of pirate references throughout the game.
There's also pirate ships, pirate weapons, pirate clothing and armor, lots of pirate-related loot, parrots, treasure maps, grog, rum, pirate camp(s), voodoo, the old caribbean flair in many places like the Crab Coast, Takarigua, Antigua, Kila (new island of the natives and the pirates).
I haven't been to the Isle of Thieves (DLC) yet but it's probably also recycled from Risen 2 so it will have a piratey flair, too, I'd guess.
The only places that do not have an immediate pirate resemblance are Calador and Taranis (and possibly the DLC Fog Island but I haven't been there yet).
Some parts of Calador are definitely quite reminiscent of places in Risen (like I think it was the West Coast in Risen with all those ruins and skeletons -> Calador has a similar look&feel).

So, of the main islands, Calador and Taranis play more like the original Risen and they also have a few new elements but the rest of the game is definitely Risen v2.1 with lots of pirate and native/voodoo stuff.

I haven't been to the Isle of Thieves (DLC) yet but it's probably also recycled from Risen 2 so it will have a piratey flair, too, I'd guess.

It is (recycled), but I wouldn't say it's very piratey. Other than you and your crew, there's only 2 other humans on the entire island.

I've played quite a few hours by now, and it's a lot of fun, but it's certainly more of a beefed up Risen 2 than any other PB game. I should be able to do a write up tomorrow or some such thing.

As for the initial treasure quest: I was certain it was a side quest which had something to do with the closed door in the temple. If you fall through the floor, you open a door with a lever. At the same time, the opposite door closes. I have no idea how to open that particular door again, and I even went back to the Crab Coast to try again later. It's the only puzzle so far I haven't been able to figure out.

Yeah the pirate setting is always nipping at your heels, I totally feel misled by initial impressions. Because of preferences Risen 2 wasn't my favorite.. I was hoping to escape pirates. The more I play the game I can say what's positive is the reward of exploration. Push deep into an area, most likely you're going to find something cool. It's a motivator.

Besides exploration it feels like enemies were just strewn about randomly, everything in the game world is just kind of there. I'm going to play it through and I've played worse - it is worth playing.

..just expect to go through the game feeling like something is off, but wanting to push forward regardless.

Back
Top Bottom