Risen - No DRM

Dhruin

SasqWatch
World of Risen brings us a comment from Deep Silver brand manager Daniel Oberlerchner that Risen will have no DRM - no serial number or activation - only a standard DVD check. I hasten to add my German isn't good enough for any nuance and this may relate only to the German release, so please hit the comments if the thread contains more relevant information:
Hallo zusammen,

Wie versprochen melde ich mich bei euch zurück um eine Neuigkeit zum Thema Kopierschutz zu vermelden. Ich darf nun offiziell bekannt geben das wir uns nach reiflichen Überlegungen für eine der Kopierschutz-Optionen für Risen entschieden haben. Wir werden in Risen einen Kopierschutz ...

...ohne Onlineaktivierung aka. DRM verwenden. Risen wir auch keine Seriennummer oder sonstige Aktivierung benötigen, die DVD muss lediglich zum Spielen im Laufwerk verbleiben. Ich bin davon überzeugt das wir mit dieser Entscheidung für einen einfachen Disk-Kopierschutz den richtigen Weg für Risen eingeschlagen haben und freue mich schon auf euer Feedback.
More information.

Hurray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now this became a must buy.

Guess I'll have to save some money for the collectors edition.

Which means I need to keep the DVD in the drive and can't just play. Honestly, I like the new Internet activation style a lot better. (And no, you can't please all of the people all of the time.)

Ah well, it won't make a difference when I decide to buy.

You can still buy a DL version.

Which means I need to keep the DVD in the drive and can't just play. Honestly, I like the new Internet activation style a lot better. (And no, you can't please all of the people all of the time.)

Ah well, it won't make a difference when I decide to buy.

Been that way since the '90s. No biggie.

You can always get a 2nd drive and then it won't matter much at all.

I am happy for this ... and hope that we'll see the DVD-check removed in a year. I like the DVD-free check, but really worry about the long-term implications of being tied into the health of these fragile little companies that keep falling like dominoes to decide whether or not I can play it again.

This was already a "must buy" for me, this news is just icing on the cake.

I never understood why anyone would complain about needing to keep the DVD in the drive. I would much rather have that than to be forced to register a product online.

I am happy for this ... and hope that we'll see the DVD-check removed in a year. I like the DVD-free check, but really worry about the long-term implications of being tied into the health of these fragile little companies that keep falling like dominoes to decide whether or not I can play it again.

Being that it's just a DVD check means that there *aren't* any long term implications.

DS has been keeping a pragmatical approach on removing DVD checks so far. A year or two down the line it's possible they might do it.

I hope polish version won't have any kind of DRM as well (except that DVD check, which is useless anyway)

Why would it imply that? There are several disc-check systems out there.

Very true but Wulf might get lucky and it might indeed be Tages ;) because Deep Silver community rep Doberlec confirmed that they are not using SecuROM or Starforce but another well known modular copy protection. So when someone asked if it was Tages he replied that he didn't want to confirm or deny it yet but that it should be obvious that there aren't that many choices left, i.e. he basically said it's Tages but that he can't make it official yet.

He also said that it is pretty much set in stone that international versions will have the same copy protection scheme as the German version. They use the same protection internally in all regions they publish and distribute the game themselves and whenever they cooperate with distribution partners for any region then they provide a master copy of the game with built-in copy protection.

Being that it's just a DVD check means that there *aren't* any long term implications.

What I mean is that I love it where stuff like DemiGod installs and links up through an online update and authentication system rather than a DVD-check. But if Impulse tanked tomorrow I'd be out of luck ...

@txa: I think you missed the point.

The "no DRM" will give the pirates more than enough excuses NOT to buy this game - *because* it has no DRM.

It's like ... the pirates don't need to defend themselves with - as we in Germany say - "an den Haaren herbeigezonenen" (my dictionary translates that as "far fetched", although the German term "pulled by the hairs" is much more drastic and graphic) arguments. Not they can more or less admit it and do it without feeling any kind of ... um, I don't think they even have some kind of "shame" inside of themselves.

With no DRM, pirates don't need to invent even the shallowest kinds of arguments any more. They don't even need their brains anymore.

I have to agree with Kostaz and txa here. DRM or no DRM, it's not going to make much of a difference to the asshole community (pirates).

Alrik, I don't think pirates really care if there is or there is no DRM since they'll be using no-DRM version anyway.

No DRM? Splendid... I guess.

I hope polish version won't have any kind of DRM as well (except that DVD check, which is useless anyway)

I'm not sure who's publishing it in Poland (I'm assuming it's CDP) but it's highly unlikely that we would have any *additional* DRM. Remember that the Polish Mass Effect didn't have that online activation thing at all.

Back
Top Bottom