Risen - Review Flood #1

I do not mean to be offensive. But there seems to be some correlation between console
owners young age and a predilection on having the latest and greatest in eye candy…

I would personally think that it's more prevalent on the PC side of things, what with PC games investing thousands in new hardware to have the "latest and greatest in eye candy." In fact, I hope I'll get myself a shiny new system for Risen very soon, too, if reviews for the Xbox 360 version are universally bad.

I seriously do not get people getting riled about a simple "demographics" comment simply because they own a platform…

It's just that I'm interested in the console verson of the game and not because I am a casual gamer, only care about graphics or don't like my games to be overly easy. I'm not personally offended in any way, but when almost every comment about the console variant mentions these stereotypes, I do start to feel pushed into a corner with all the other 12-year-old kids with ADHD. :D

And yes I do Like pretty graphics too… They just take a waay lower place in my list of
priorities in comparison to gameplay, Story, atmosphere etc…

Unfortunately, and this is what I gathered from the German review as well, bad graphics can impact all of those in a negative way. I'm not saying that it always needs to be so or that Risen falls victim to this, but shoddy looks can ruin the experience to some extent.

I would personally think that it's more prevalent on the PC side of things, what with PC games investing thousands in new hardware to have the "latest and greatest in eye candy." In fact, I hope I'll get myself a shiny new system for Risen very soon, too, if reviews for the Xbox 360 version are universally bad.

Its true that PCs with their 6 month upgrade circle is a more appropriate platform for
graphics whoring :) . I do indeed find it occasionally funny that the expectations of a
great percentage (as long as I can tell) of console owners and their priorities seem to
focus on the graphical aspect of things.

It's just that I'm interested in the console verson of the game and not because I am a casual gamer, only care about graphics or don't like my games to be overly easy. I'm not personally offended in any way, but when almost every comment about the console variant mentions these stereotypes, I do start to feel pushed into a corner with all the other 12-year-old kids with ADHD. :D

I do respect people that choose the console platform to get a reasonably priced stable
system that will almost certainly run their games. They also could be starting to
become less of a minority (especially in this economy). Still the selection of games
available makes me choose PC as a platform even for the few games I play these days
(and the diminishing returns of my investment).

Unfortunately, and this is what I gathered from the German review as well, bad graphics can impact all of those in a negative way. I'm not saying that it always needs to be so or that Risen falls victim to this, but shoddy looks can ruin the experience to some extent.

Sure, and especially atmosphere (a very important part of the experience). My
complaint was directed to many console reviewers that butcher games based on the
technical aspect disregarding all they have to offer in other levels (and pushing people
away that might enjoy and appreciate a more satisfying and engrossing game than
what is usually available on the platform).

I do respect people that choose the console platform to get a reasonably priced stable
system that will almost certainly run their games. They also could be starting to
become less of a minority (especially in this economy). Still the selection of games...

Isn't that why everybody buys consoles? :) Apart from that you can just insert the DVD and play the game without any problems, I also choose the console for those times when I just want to lie on the couch and play a game. PC games also sometimes have small, hard-to-read fonts (and now, apparantly, console games as well! ;)) that aren't suited for couch-play. Considering that I've vowed never to play a game on a computer monitor again (PC is hooked up to the TV), the Xbox 360 becomes an obvious choice.

Then there are games that you will only find on consoles, like the JRPGs that some PC role-players hate vehemently :p, but that I like. I guess these can be called hardcore casual games, because the mechanics are usually not that complicated, but it takes dedication to play through a 50-hour JRPG. :p

Anyway, as for Risen, I have to choose between a console/couch experience or a PC keyboard-mouse experience with prettier graphics. Both have their high points, but one shouldn't be superior to the other, per se (well, except in graphics). Since I like graphics, I really like the idea of getting a new PC at this point!

Sure, and especially atmosphere (a very important part of the experience). My
complaint was directed to many console reviewers that butcher games based on the
technical aspect disregarding all they have to offer in other levels

I guess expectations on a console are different from on the PC. You expect a game to make good use of the hardware that's in it. On the PC, you really hope that a game will use your new shiny DirectX 11 card, but afterward you just complain about the state of the PC game industry and how consoles are holding them back. On console it's immediately a shit game. :p If a console game is unstable, it is burned to the ground. If a PC game is unstable, well, people have almost come to expect that I suppose. And so on.

Isn't that why everybody buys consoles? :) Apart from that you can just insert the DVD and play the game without any problems, I also choose the console for those times when I just want to lie on the couch and play a game.

The easiness or casuality as Id like to call it is better on consoles yes imho. Mostly in the way you can i.e download demos to xbox360/ps3. Services like steam have them too but much smaller amount. Consoles also boot faster and are more user-friendly overall.

But nothing stops anyone from playing pc games from sofa expect the inner decorator which says that PC not in living room belong. I have used reduced size wireless keyboard, mice and xbox360 gamepad for my pc for year or more now when I play from couch.

PC games also sometimes have small, hard-to-read fonts (and now, apparantly, console games as well! ) that aren't suited for couch-play. Considering that I've vowed never to play a game on a computer monitor again (PC is hooked up to the TV), the Xbox 360 becomes an obvious choice.

Its less to do with platform and more with distance. If you surf with regular font sizes from sofa you most likely wont see the text on PC either because the distance is too big.

I have used HDTV as computer screen for 4-5 years now. And the first problem I had was font-sizes when Im on sofa. I often had to resize them to see properly. I have used HDTV as computer screen for 4-5 years now. And the first problem I had was font-sizes when Im on sofa. I often had to resize them to see properly.

I bought 52" TV year ago to make sure the font sizes stay readable from distance. ;)

Then there are games that you will only find on consoles, like the JRPGs that some PC role-players hate vehemently :p, but that I like. I guess these can be called hardcore casual games, because the mechanics are usually not that complicated, but it takes dedication to play through a 50-hour JRPG.

Yes. If you want the best you need to have multiple platforms. You cant have everything on one - thats why I have pc, ps2, ps3 and xbox360. ;)

Casual doesnt mean its bad - its just mean its less complex. Complex doesnt automatically mean better but just "different". Personally I somtimes prefer casual games, somtimes complex ones depending on mood. I play both jrpgs and wrpgs.

I agree with the dedication. Im currently playing persona 3 FES. JRPGs are often deep&long lasting experiences if not overly complex ones.

Anyway, as for Risen, I have to choose between a console/couch experience or a PC keyboard-mouse experience with prettier graphics. Both have their high points, but one shouldn't be superior to the other, per se (well, except in graphics). Since I like graphics, I really like the idea of getting a new PC at this point!
Since risella is "games for windows" branded it means support for gamepad. I will most likely play the pc version from couch using xbox360 gamepad. Gothic UI was originally desgined for pads anyways. ;)

Last edited:
This made me laugh:

"However, if you get caught stealing and are beaten down by the home owner, you might notice the strange situation that he does not loot your body (not even the things you stole from him). Instead, a total stranger comes in from the street and takes your money."

Excellent news - have to admit I'm not reading much as I don't want to grab the inadvertent spoilers that creep into too many reviews these days ...

When someone from here gets the game, can you tell me if we're Nameless Hero 2 and whether you can cast spells from the very beginning of the game. I've never finished a gothic game because I can't relate to, and thus don't care for, my player character. I don't care when the guy dies, because he's just some nameless dude, he's not me! He's not even anybody else :D

I just hope the game actually ships on Oct. 2nd, that way it should arrive the next Monday.

According to UPS, my package with Risen inside it is in transit, in Fort Worth Texas, on its way to meeeee!

When someone from here gets the game, can you tell me if we're Nameless Hero 2

Yes.

and whether you can cast spells from the very beginning of the game.

No. You can use scrolls but you can't just cast spells until later in the game.

Everywhere. Both retail and online.

I lost a big reply when my former boss clicked away my text editor that had it, but:

Since risella is "games for windows" branded it means support for gamepad. I will most likely play the pc version from couch using xbox360 gamepad. Gothic UI was originally desgined for pads anyways. ;)

Oooh, very interesting. If this is true, I can alternate between keyboard/mouse and gamepad whenever I see fit! Anybody? Does the PC game support gamepad out-of-the-box?

If it says 'Games for Windows' it *has* to support the X360 controller out of the box. Things like Achievements and so on are optional.

Hmmm ... hadn't planned on it, but maybe I'll give my controller a shot to see what it feels like with Risen.

Oh, I thought I remembered playing games with that label that didn't have gamepad support, but I could be wrong. Glad to hear! The font problem could still be there. I wish all games had scalable UI's.

Yes.

No. You can use scrolls but you can't just cast spells until later in the game.

Thanks, Moriendor! I'm really not interested in Risen, but I'll eventually buy the game, just to have it. I'm sure I'll wait til it's been out for a year or so though. I'm happy for the folks who've been looking forward to this game. I hope it's all that you anticipated.

Thanks, Moriendor! I'm really not interested in Risen, but I'll eventually buy the game, just to have it. I'm sure I'll wait til it's been out for a year or so though. I'm happy for the folks who've been looking forward to this game. I hope it's all that you anticipated.

I'm exactly like you. I could never get into any of the Gothics, and seemingly, Risen, because of that. I want to start as a mage. Not as an unnamed dude that looks like he was born the moment I double clicked in the game, with nothing in their hands and without knowing how to swing a stick, and even if he does, it's always a melee guy. I want to play a caster from start, just like I can in Oblivion and all TES games in general.

To jump in regarding the "graphics-whoring" discussion in the thread: Just for the record, although I certainly can and do still appreciate older games, and have a high tolerance for older graphics, I myself am indeed a graphics whore, and I'm not ever going to make excuses for it. I think it's simply natural to enjoy nice graphics if you can have them.

As far as Risen is concerned, I'm glad to see the good reviews out there, and glad that I've already bought it, though I'll only physically have it in my grubby paws by Friday.

Next thing to worry about now is DA.

Not as an unnamed dude that looks like he was born the moment I double clicked in the game, with nothing in their hands and without knowing how to swing a stick, and even if he does, it's always a melee guy.

For me the whole idea and most of the fun of an RPG is to start out as a totallly dumb, weak Forrest Gump, and work my way up from there.

Just btw - where on earth did you start Morrowind - (TES III), as an accomplished mage? You could try - but you'd be as easily killed by a rat as by a kwama forager.

It is partly because you start out Oblivion with such a beefed-up character that takes most of the challenge out of the game for me ; - one could rather then play an action game rather than an RPG if you don't enjoy building up your character from scratch.

Isn't that why everybody buys consoles? Apart from that you can just insert the DVD and play the game without any problems, I also choose the console for those times when I just want to lie on the couch and play a game.

I must have missed something here… - since when can you not lie on your bed and play a PC game from there? Ever heard of cordless peripherals, (mouse and keyboard) and (cordless) PS3/Xbox controllers for Windows, plus a range of other controllers for Windows? (I suppose this also depends on your screen size, but you can surely use the same screen for you PC that you used for your consoles - adapters are readily available these days, and PC screens definitely don't come out small these days.)
Plus on PC you have the convenience of being able to apply no-CD/no-DVD patches, so you literally need only click on the installed icon of a game and play. Not to mention that you have limitless space for saves, and limitless scope for mods for your games.

As I see it, it is crappy programming that has the potential to bring a PC game down, not the hardware at one's disposal.

Back
Top Bottom