RPGDot says 'Goodbye'

Well, can't say I'll miss it since I haven't been there since the Watch went online. It was a good site at it's prime though.

Edit: just went there and really like that the goodbye message is posted under Gameboy Advance (GBA): Adventures).

RPGDot was awesome once. Its contents still is. The history of RPGDot is a long one and dates back to 1999, even longer if you add Rendelius' adventures with Blinkingdot.
I have some very good memories of RPGDot, that's what I took with me when we left in 2006. After we left, RPGDot was just that, a memory. I visited the site only a handful of times and never felt sorry for leaving, the place just didn't feel like 'home' anymore.

If it wouldn't of been for the .dot, I wouldn't be here with yall today.
For that, I am grateful.

Same to me! This is very bad news indeed... but can't they leave the forum like that? I mean... it has tons of gaming material... so sad it is closing! Oh well... long live the watch :D

What a loss ! All of this information in the forums !!!

I wonder whether I should try to make a kind of "backup" via HTTrack ?

But I fear it would be too much stuff, perhaps ...

How do you do that? also... do you have an estimation on the amount of download?

mmm Sad news indeed. It was like a home on the web. Although it went downwards once the adds were added. Then by coiincedence I picked up the news of the watch and now this is my homùe on the web.
I guess this was a case of: the site is dead. Long live the new site ;)
I am sure the watch will become as big and good as the dot once was, and maybe even better.
Never make the same mistake as they did at the dot guys.

Like others have mentioned, the closure was pretty much inetivable after most of the site staff left Dot.

It was a good rpg news site in its own time, but that was largely thanks to the staff, which incidently is now located here in Watch, Dot's spiritual successor. :p

It is sad. Now there will be no trace of people like Pinnen and Jericho that made me so welcome when I joined the Dot and haven't been heard from for a while. There goes mothy, and the cholate drow woman, and the Sandy Beach Resort.... it's already been said, but it's the people that make a place warm and enjoyable, whether work or play.

RPGDot was awesome once. Its contents still is. The history of RPGDot is a long one and dates back to 1999, even longer if you add Rendelius' adventures with Blinkingdot.
I have some very good memories of RPGDot, that's what I took with me when we left in 2006. After we left, RPGDot was just that, a memory. I visited the site only a handful of times and never felt sorry for leaving, the place just didn't feel like 'home' anymore.

Couldn't have said it better

There goes mothy, and the cholate drow woman, and the Sandy Beach Resort.... it's already been said, but it's the people that make a place warm and enjoyable, whether work or play.

Kayla, that is already here. I thought we once started a thread about the SBR and definitely one with the barn. CM was overwhelmed with joy :biggrin:

Wow. I mean... wow. The Dot was an awesome site with a great database. As far as emotions go, Myrthos said it all.

It was the best for many years, then Jolt slowly choked us to death. Thus the formation of the Watch!! Sad, but inevitable.

What happened there if you don't mind me asking?

We disagreed with the path chosen by Jolt. We had some discussions and we chose to leave after that.
I don't think there is any point in getting into the details of it all.

We disagreed with the path chosen by Jolt. We had some discussions and we chose to leave after that.
I don't think there is any point in getting into the details of it all.

Is that a "you do mind me asking" then? ;)

--It looks like Myrthos would rather let sleeping dogs lie, so I'll just wipe this response--

--It looks like Myrthos would rather let sleeping dogs lie, so I'll just wipe this response--
I´ve seen it! :biggrin:

The first year was okay. Then we got a couple of problems and decided to leave. Or rather we did not decide - we just did it.

Drat! There is no escaping the notice of the uber-lords.

How do you do that? also... do you have an estimation on the amount of download?

Look here : http://www.httrack.com/

I made I think the only existing "backup" of the whole Armalion RPG site with it.

And no, I have no idea how long this would take.

I think the oldest Larian Forum was "backupped" this way by a forum member, too, before the first great change.
I think we even had an inofficial "okay" for that.

hmm maybe I shall try this! who knows when I might need something!

source

the really sad thing is ... noone cares anymore.

Sad, but expected i quess...The site in it's current form has been more or less a shadow of it's former self for two years. Jolt never understood what made rpgdot what it was. It was the people who kept it going. By all means new staff probably did hard job, but the community just wasn't there anymore.

Rpgdot/gothicdot was the site that brought me into gothic.. :) I used to visit that site almost every day that time..I'm glad that rpgwatch is here to stay. By the way it would be wonderfull if someone could salvage all preciouss info and findings.

Back
Top Bottom