RPGWatch Feature - Legends of Eisenwald Review

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
A while ago Forgottenlor offered to write a review about Legends of Eisenwald for RPGWatch, which we accepted gladly, given that he delivered very good work before. So here is his take on the game.

The quests in Legends of Eisenwald are thankfully quite varied, and many of the maps have a unique scenario, which helps keep the game interesting. The first map, which serves as a tutorial is fairly relaxed. Another map pushes you from one end to another at a frantic pace. Unfortunately, its not until one reaches the fourth map (about 9 hours into the game), that one arrives at the most interesting chapters of the game, which are larger, offer more possibilites, and more story choices. In some of these maps you are caught between warring factions, and eliminating one or more of these will not only be necessary for moving on, but will also result in subtle differences in late game scenarios. From finding „demons" in a mine for a mad nobleman, to deciding the fate of a witch, to digging up graves, to moving across a forest unseen, Legends of Eisenwald gives you a huge variety of tasks. Unfortunately a minority of these tasks can be quite annoying. Finding the enterance to a tower or the location of seven graves becomes a matter of patiently combing the map for the exact pixels which trigger the next part of the quest. And therein lies one of the logical problems of Legends of Eisenwald. Some quests seem to hold your hand more than you would like, while others are very vague about what they want you to do. Reading the quest log exactly and all of the tavern rumours is a great help most of time, but not all of the time.
More information.

Thanks Forgottenlor, for doing this review for us.

Thank you for the review Forgottenlor, I agree with everything except the 'walls of text' - it's a pro for me.

I like your reviews. No sugar coated BS. Just trying to tell it like it is and leaving the opinion to the reader but still not afraid to say what you like and don't like. Well done.

I have had this on my wish list for a while, so thank you Forgottenlor for the review. It's definitely made me more interested in playing it.

I do have one question. Since there is a lot of text and reading involved, are there configuration options to set the size? A couple reasons, I am getting older so larger text is better for me and also I have been having some back pain if I sit at my desk too long, so I have been playing more and more on the large screen television across the room from the comfort of the couch. The Let's Plays I have looked at seem to be ok, but wanted to see what your impressions were. For instance, with Avadon I have to strain to read the text even if I set the size option to large unless I sit closer.

Legends of Eisenwald is honestly my favorite 2015 game so far. Loved it.

The star ratings in the reviews start to lose their meaning once nearly every game gets a four out of five.

The star ratings in the reviews start to lose their meaning once nearly every game gets a four out of five.

We have mostly 3, 4 and 5 star ratings because we mainly review games that show at least some potential to be good.

I have had this on my wish list for a while, so thank you Forgottenlor for the review. It's definitely made me more interested in playing it.

I do have one question. Since there is a lot of text and reading involved, are there configuration options to set the size? A couple reasons, I am getting older so larger text is better for me and also I have been having some back pain if I sit at my desk too long, so I have been playing more and more on the large screen television across the room from the comfort of the couch. The Let's Plays I have looked at seem to be ok, but wanted to see what your impressions were. For instance, with Avadon I have to strain to read the text even if I set the size option to large unless I sit closer.
Unfortunately, there is no such an option yet. You should be fine on Full HD monitor. And due to UI restrictions even if we increase the text size, it will be mainly in dialogs. Building descriptions etc. are harder to change.

I found the text size fine (My eye doctor keeps threatening me with reading glasses, so my eyes aren't the best either) . Its not so small like Wasteland, for example. I'm not sure if its adjustable though, as I never tried it.

I must say the following: First: I can't play a 1 star game more than two hours, so I'd be unable to review one. I gave Jagged Alliance 2 stars, but most of my reviews have been 3 or 4 stars. I try to say whether I think a game is a high 4 stars, or a low 4 stars. I think this is relatively clear in my reviews. I would have given Legends of Eisenwald a high 4 stars, where I think it is apparent in my reviews of Heroes of the Broken Land or Elminage: Gothic, that those were 4 star games that tended towards 3 stars.

Last edited:
Excellent review. This game has been sitting in my backlog for a while now, hopefully I'll get round to it soon. :)

I've not looked at this because I don't play builder games. What's the ratio between questing/exploring/looting and the build elements. The only game that I've been able to tolerate build-wise is the original Spellforce. It was okay, but I really would prefer a game where you could set the build stuff to be ignorable or automatic.

I've not looked at this because I don't play builder games. What's the ratio between questing/exploring/looting and the build elements. The only game that I've been able to tolerate build-wise is the original Spellforce. It was okay, but I really would prefer a game where you could set the build stuff to be ignorable or automatic.

There is no building in our game whatsoever. I personally don't think it's an advantage as the game might have benefited from more strategy elements but for you it might be :)

Crpgnut. I just seen your "took an arrow to the knee". That's awesome and some mornings a perfect description of you :)

As Aterdux said there is no building. There is a strategic game though. To finish many of the maps you have to capture castles, which let you recruit new followers. Possible followers are in locations all over the map, and you need to be aware where you can heal your group. You also have the option in place to hire mercenaries which puts a heavy strain on your gold short term, but gives you increased power for a short time. With the exception of two maps, I found it helpful to explore the maps, gathering quests, and figuring out where important resources were on the map (possible followers, healing opportunities, and taverns) then decided which quests I should do first in order to build up my strength, as well as to see how I wanted to do quests with multiple solutions. When you capture castles, you want to hold them, which means destroying all hostile enemies nearby. On some maps this is very time consuming, while on others you spend almost all your time on quests. The strategic game is relatively straightforward though, and I'd say the majority of the time is spent on quests. Still if you hate strategic elements like I'm talking about, you might not like the game. Its really one of the pillars of gameplay in Legends of Eisenwald.

Thanks for the review, forgottenlor. :)

Any news about a GOG release ? It's all I'm waiting for to buy the game.

Also, does anyone here pledged for a retail box ? I'd be interested to see pics. :)

Back
Top Bottom