RPGWatch Feature: Venetica Preview

While I normally prefer playing a male character, one of the games I really enjoyed was Kult where you had to be female. If/when this game appears in Oz, I will quite likely get it. The fact that I have 3 other games currently on pre-order (DA,DD2, Risen) shouldn't affect that so long as my bank manager isn't paying attention!! :)

I go about half and half male and female characters, myself. I played KoTOR 1 as female, and KoTOR 2 as male, ironically, the canonical PCs were the opposite. I have no problem with the geneder of the PC being prescribed, though I'd hope that when that choice is taken away from you, I'd hope that the developper make's use of the presription. I find it really aggravating when voiced characters refer to the PC as 'they'. It's really awkward, poor writing and lazy.

I wonder if there are any romance sub-plots in this game, or any opportunities for sex... KoTOR 1 was the only game in which I've played a female character and romanced a male NPC. BGII only had one romance option for female PCs, and he was far too annoying. I played a female in JE, but romanced that ninja princess.

The game looks pretty good to me.

I usually go half my games as a female and the other half as a male character and like variety. There are exceptions though since I don't always like the looks of the male or female characters in a game and will go with the opposite gender because of that. I also wouldn't play a male character in Morrowind or Oblivion since the choice in clothing is far greater as a female when it comes to mods. I also prefer female characters in anime style games over males.

I don't usually go into the romance storylines in games and the only games I have had my character have sex in were Gothic 2 and Ultima 7 Serpents Isle. (as a female character)

Male or female character, whatever: as long as they are not childlike comic characters. Big eyes and a small face are a no-no to me.

I don't mind playing a guy as long as he doesn't look like Rambo. I don't like big muscles.
I don't mind playing a woman as long as she doesn't look like a pin-up. I don't like big'uns.

I've read an article that stated that the main character in the majority of games (i.e. not just RPG) is young white muscular male. (They did a survey and noted all the main characters). On occasion the person is a white female. Rarely latino, black, red or asian. Whereas a large part of the gamers is not white and/or male. How come? The article said that discrimination did not seem to be the reason but the simple fact that most developers are young and white themselves. More women are getting into the industry nowadays which is the reason more and more female characters appear, the article said.

I agree very much. I'm really surprised that people looking different from the "muscular young white male" aren't not really there.

To put it differently, it's like a kind of optimization towards a disctinct group of gamers - namely those who want to play young muscular white males, so to say.

Other groups are now considered - there is hardly ever a game where you can see (as NPCs) or even less play people looking like people from regions like Africa, Asia, South-America.

I don't quite know how to call it. Exaggeration of clichés ? Prejudice ? Optimization ? Just stupidy ?

To me, this is like excluding let's say female players by making a game so that it can be enjoyed almost only by male players.

Which includes

I don't mind playing a guy as long as he doesn't look like Rambo. I don't like big muscles.
I don't mind playing a woman as long as she doesn't look a pin-up. I don't like big'uns.

I even dare to think this of being a kind of self-restriction of developers on only ONE certain group of players ...

I don't know of the reasons. In the past I believed that this would be mostly because of most developing studios contained to 90 % male developers.

I don't know how it is nowadays.

Actually sounding quite interesting now . . . if they can get the Venice atmosphere right that'd be a great setting for it, endless winding streets to get lost in that make a comparatively small area feel enormous.

I even dare to think this of being a kind of self-restriction of developers on only ONE certain group of players ...

I don't know of the reasons. In the past I believed that this would be mostly because of most developing studios contained to 90 % male developers.

I think a part of that is cost. It is cheaper and easier to produce a game based on a set type of Player's POV.

Why "white muscular guy" is chosen more often is probably because it is often the most "politically neutral" or "culturally accepted," choice of character type.
JRPGs are by far the most "biased" and thus telling of this trend. Though in that case, the "culturally preferred" option would be blonds it seems. :)

To be fair, RPGs (esp CRPGs) have always faired pretty well in the diversity department. Esp. when you consider games that give you a lot of character customizations, though I have to admit, when I have the choice I tend to create a Asian male character (so I am biased too :p ).

As for the "muscular" part, I think that since we mostly play games to "escape" reality, most people would prefer a more ideal body type. Besides, with the amount of workout that a character does in a game, how can any player characters be anything but super fit? :p

If there's a choice, on my first run I always go with a male, who resembles me. On the second run I switch to a female, unless there's a hetero romancing subplot. I just can't stand male NPCs flirting with me. I don't have a problem with lesbian romances, though.

I make a formal protest regarding the name of the character: "Scarlett". Even though the setting is unique to the game, it really should have been "Ysabell", or possibly "Susan". Or you should be able to change the name.

HAH!

I don't mind playing a woman as long as she doesn't look like a pin-up. I don't like big'uns.

Your avatar needs a breast reduction, then. ;)

Oh, they are supposed to be legs? lol, sorry. :blush: That is not what they looked like to me -- but then, maybe that says more about me than the avatar. :)

I thought that maybe … gravitation wasn't nice to her … :blush:

I didn't see legs either. I was thinking more like Gorath :p

It's a feminine avatar, that's for sure! ;)

When trying to get me a nice, unique avatar I played with the symbols, the upper and lower case letter, of the last letter of the Greek alphabet: Omega
At the end I changed their size a tiny bit until the proportions seemed right, more in balance, and I added lips. I like the result, I'm proud of my design!
I'm glad it got your attention. :]

Wow it is really cool if you made it yourself :)

The devs posted a temporary fix list for the next patch. It's more than complete. Not only fixes but also more comfort functions, more UI and graphics options, performance increases and cleaned up quests and dialogs. If they can pull all this off the game will get even better.

Wish they would find a publisher for the English and 360 version already. All this silence makes me wonder if it'll ever happen.

Back
Top Bottom