Scotland loses referendum on sovereignty

One thing I didn't get about this vote… all it needed was a simple majority!? I would think a huge change like that would require a supermajority! Would they have at least required a supermajority to switch back again?? You wouldn't want the country going in and out of GB ever time the polls shifted 5%!

Kind of like how all these countries went into the EU, which seems crazy to me.

Yeah, they should demand a 100% vote like most of the Middle East countries get!! :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-29270441

I have little awareness as to the specific context, but what I don't understand is why Britain agreed to the idea of a referendum in the first place? In Canada, no federal government ever recognized the legitimacy of such an endeavor. To me it is a sign of how Britain has fallen, when one of its former colonies recognized for its good natured demeanor shows more strenght of character than it did. Britain seems to be constantly apologizing for all it does, and it just looks very awkward and embarrassing to me.

I find this to be quite noble on their part actually.

There is nothing more outrageous than sending tanks and slaughtering civilians of an area who expressed the democratic desire to secede and follow it's own path.

My family was in Quebec at the time of the referendum and we really feared for eventual military shenanigans had the YES succeeded.

Back
Top Bottom