Shadowrun Returns - Review Roundup #2

Last edited:
anyone know if the editor is powerful enough to change such things as how long corpses disappear or have script functions eventually allowing looting corpses? or is it just for level design (object/npc placement, quest/story editing)?

EDIT: nm with regard to the lootable corpses. Seems it's doable with the editor. http://www.shadowrun.com/forums/discussion/27549/tutorial-persistent-lootable-corpses

Yeah it's already in one of the modder resoursces up in the steam workshop for the game (been up there since during the beta for modders to play with.).

I wonder if someone can mod some saving functionality in.

The game is so streamlined and easy that loosing progress due to game reasons is not really that much of a problem, but seriously, If I have to quit for the night and I have to go through the same 3-4 NPCs and two fights again simply because they couldn't even implement a save on quit…

Other than that, they nailed the atmosphere and look and feel and the writing does seem decent. I will have to see if the annoyance of replaying content (due to the save thing) is
offset by the Shadowrun story experience. Certainly will not stay for the smattering of RPG and super simple combat there…

Might be a good idea to wait for the modders to do their thing on this game for a few months I believe…

Does anti-aliasing work? I see no difference whatsoever with it off or on. It doesn't appear to need it though.

It works fine here - though it can be hard to detect, given the tiny characters.

But if you take it off, you can definitely see the jagged edges. Well, I can - anyway.

I'm getting really annoying sound crackling - especially when going in and out of the PDA.

I hate that sort of thing, so I'd better wait for a patch or until someone figures out the cause.

Wouldn't AA only have an effect on the 3D models in theory?

Wouldn't AA only have an effect on the 3D models in theory?

Not necessarily, depending on how it's calculated. But it's primarily about smoothing out the edges of textures/images - so they don't look awful when interacting with other textures or non-black backgrounds. This is generally done by the GPU - but can theoretically be done in other ways.

The characters models are 3D with textures - so they're affected by it. There's no reason to apply AA to the background images - as they're static and have a black background and won't interact with other textures (apart from the models, which are already affected by AA).

All I know is that I honestly couldn't see any jaggies with AA off @1920x1200, and I'm usually very sensitive to that. It could be that AA is being applied anyways despite being set to "Application-controlled" in my control panel.

It's a moot point anyways. It's not as if I need to worry about taking a performance hit in this game. :)

So can someone explain the "projection mode" setting to me?

So can someone explain the "projection mode" setting to me?

Not really, except that it affects your field of view - like you're viewing through a different type of camera.

I've tried switching between camera modes, and the difference is subtle at best.

Don't think it's a big deal.

I just finished messing around with the GM resource demo for "persistent lootable corpses". I don't get what would have been so difficult for the devs to have persistent corpses in the campaign. I've read their list of "reasons", and in retrospect it seems like bullshit.

The save system is most definitely the most atrocious bullshit. If you're any kind of semi-decent programmer - you'll be able to implement a free save system for such a super simple data structure.

I've been playing this for several hours. So far, I'm liking it. My only issue (and it's minor) is that there is no 'save and quit' option. But since levels are not long, usually a couple of battles and NPC chit-chatting, it's not a big deal.

Wow, no save option other than periodic saves? Who thought that was a good idea, lol, I do not like a game dictating how long I must play. Maybe I'll just wait for a patch.

-Carn

I just finished messing around with the GM resource demo for "persistent lootable corpses". I don't get what would have been so difficult for the devs to have persistent corpses in the campaign. I've read their list of "reasons", and in retrospect it seems like bullshit.

Yeah, now that you mention it the disappearing bodies was weird.

Back
Top Bottom