Skyrim - Bethsoft Announces Successful Launch

It's EXTREMELY compressed to fit on one Xbox DVD, and that is likely the reason for this. It's a shame developers don't bother using different compression for the PS3 and PC, which can handle much larger file sizes. Shitty and horribly compressed 720p videos are the worst!

They do use different compression levels for the audio iirc.

Like you, I've not had a crash yet, but I also have great and well-balanced audio at the moment - I have a very fancy sound card though so it could be that it's doing some jiggery-pokery in the background or is more inherently suited for downmixing 5.1 to stereo in a way that makes the voices audible or something. If anything I've turned the music up because it was set lower in the menus than the others and I like it :)

I tend to crash once every 2-4 hours or so, not enough to force me to change any settings. I suppose I could launch from the Steam folder, and see if that fixes the problem.

I hope the level of commercial success sends some sort of message to other developers about the value of taking time to craft a high quality, very detailed game with more content and greater complexity than its predecessors.

This flies in the face of the trend toward "dumbing down" sequels to reach a bigger audience.
Amen, brother! Amen! Here's hoping that Skyrim's commercial success instigates a resurgence of quality, non-streamlined, detailed CRPGs.

How come we have so many Skyrim threads but no "impression" topics?

I do wish they kept the stats like str. and int. though. I feel this is dumbing down for the masses :). It has been stable for me and I have not crashed. The sound is too low for me also. If I forget to turn down my speakers after I play I scare the hell out of myself if I go to youtube or something hehe.

I'm sure the $25 strategy guids has detailed perk lists.

It does indeed and I am glad I bought it. To bad you use to get a lot of info for free and now you have to pay for it. Oh well, great game.

I do wish they kept the stats like str. and int. though. I feel this is dumbing down for the masses :).

Losing stats was a brilliant change and not dumbing down at all. All that the stats did was to encourage you to metagame the leveling system. Now you can just play and use and improve the things you want to actually improve instead of running around boxing with mudcrabs and such nonsense.

A RPG without stats is crazy talk. Having to go to pickpockets to increase my wt. load is stupid. I do love this game though just got a 1 handed sword that is an artifact today. Dawnbreaker or something like that.

Losing stats was a brilliant change and not dumbing down at all. All that the stats did was to encourage you to metagame the leveling system. Now you can just play and use and improve the things you want to actually improve instead of running around boxing with mudcrabs and such nonsense.

1. I don't understand by what logic metagameplay is inherently worse.
2. Don't encourage the "It didn't work well, so lets remove it" philosophy - see Bioware.
3. I still box with mudcrabs.

The game being dumbed down should be obvious, whether the current system works better or not, is a different argument. At the very least choosing only between Stamina, health and magicka is disappointing.

A RPG without stats is crazy talk. Having to go to pickpockets to increase my wt. load is stupid. I do love this game though just got a 1 handed sword that is an artifact today. Dawnbreaker or something like that.

Not sure if you know but you can also increase your stamina to increase your weight limit. Also companions can carry things I believe (not sure as I have not gotten one yet).

They could have fixed attributes instead of removing them and there were several mods that did that in the previous games so it wouldn't have been hard.

Not sure if you know but you can also increase your stamina to increase your weight limit. Also companions can carry things I believe (not sure as I have not gotten one yet).

Yup. And there are spells that let you carry more and probably enchantments as well.

WHAT!!! Increasing stamina increases your weight limit???? They should have had that in big bold lettering in the tutorial.

It doesn't make a lick of difference though. I still would not have put anything into stamina, but it is really good to know for my next build which will be more of a fighter/illusionist. Thanks wolfgrimdark for pointing that out.

WHAT!!! Increasing stamina increases your weight limit???? They should have had that in big bold lettering in the tutorial.

It doesn't make a lick of difference though. I still would not have put anything into stamina, but it is really good to know for my next build which will be more of a fighter/illusionist. Thanks wolfgrimdark for pointing that out.

i though the in game tutorial explained this :)

I've been playing as a very fragile dual wield stealth assassin, with almost no points in health or light armor.

I have been heavily speccing into stamina and I can carry over 400 lbs, but I get one-shotted by enemies all the time. Have to sneak up on them and take them out with 15x dagger backstabs. They really did an excellent job with the stealth gameplay in Skyrim, IMO. Massive improvement over previous TES games.

Sorta spoiler in regards to weight limit:
There´s a standing stone (Steed) which increases weight limit by 100, removes slow down caused by armor and makes worn armor weigh nothing (and thus makes quite a few perks more-or-less redundant). By far the best stone I´ve found so far.

Sorta spoiler in regards to weight limit:
There´s a standing stone (Steed) which increases weight limit by 100, removes slow down caused by armor and makes worn armor weigh nothing (and thus makes quite a few perks more-or-less redundant). By far the best stone I´ve found so far.

Yeah, that's sorta broken.

Back
Top Bottom