Skyrim - Named Game of The Generation

Really?

Well people are entitled to their own opinions even if they are stupid ones I suppose.

How a game with abysmal combat, restrictions (i.e non-killable NPC's in what is supposed to be a game where you have freedom of choice to do anything), terrible player dialogue (which doesn't even allow the PC to develop a personality), non-existent choices in the plot and zero way to influence the outcome of the story gets "game of the generation" is beyond me. The exploration consists of roaming a world with caves and dungeons not worth entering because the rewards aren't substantial.

For its terrible limited combat alone, this game doesn't qualify for "game of the generation." Your character cannot parry, they cannot riposte, they cannot strike certain parts of the body to impact the enemy(you can certainly aim for an enemy's arm or leg but hitting them there won't disarm the weapon from their hand or knock them off their feet), you cannot kick an enemy away, you cannot feint attacks, and your limited to one attack for a sword (slashing) and cannot thrust.

Worst part of the game is when I discovered that Maven Black Briar is not only a murderer but someone who consorts with the Dark Brotherhood. I'm role-playing a good character but I can't bring the evidence of this (a signed letter from the basement of her house which also features a human sacrifice) to the proper authorities or even confront her about it.

Top notch role-playing Bethesda! /sarcasm

In every Divinity game, if you discover something about an NPC, you will always be given the option to confront them about it in some way.

Skyrim gets a 6/10 from me.

I'll offer another vote for Gothic (1,2, NotR, and 3) being the game of the generation.

Well, when you put it that way Grangokhan... Maybe there is room for improvement next generation?

Those slo-mo kills were still pretty sweet though, amirite? Has a game ever made chopping someone's head off more satisfying?

Maybe they will port Divinity games on to consoles so they can get a crack at a generational title. I don't know how someone would go about defining what a generation is on the PC.

I can't really say if it is or not. I only put about 15 min in to it before I started modding it. Basically after I encountered the terrible vanilla UI.

If were talking modded skyrim then I could definitely see a case for that.

I don't belong to that generation.
My generation fixes broken things.

I don't think it could be put any better than this.

Gothic 3 is 8 years old - hardly this generation in gaming terms… and it was an absolute travesty upon release. Gothic II, 12 years old… perhaps someone would like to nominate Torment as well for "this generation"? The truth is we're each growing older and some of us refuse to realize the old is no longer new :)

I'm fine with Skyrim for the stated "award". Personally, I fall asleep playing the game, but to each their own. It says more of the overall stagnating quality than it does anything else. The Madden and COD franchises of the world took their toll.

Personally I wouldn't name Skyrim "Game of the Generation", there are so many games and it's hard to pick a single game as such. But still, well deserved, I'm enjoying it a lot :)

Skyrim is probably my favorite crpg of all time, but I still can't get past Game of the Generation; that has to be a shooter or one of those "play on anything" games. I would say I'm at least tied for biggest TES fanboy here and even I can't grant that accolade.

Skyrim to me is no more than a tech demo of the wonderful game engine that Bethesda developed. This game was designed to showcase this engine, and produce a vast 'playground' (rather than an open world) for the player to test this tech and to 'personalise' it using mods.

As indicated earlier, dialogue is weak, NPCs and companions are boring and forgettable, and locations are only there for discovery rather than related to a certain lore or a decent quest line. Nevertheless, it would be unrealistic to ask that Skyrim, with its vast premisses and complex technology, be at the same level of good writing and detail as say the more focused and well knitted Fallout New Vegas.

Game of the generation, maybe as it allows generation to personalise their experience. But as a rpg, there are better.

Skyrim is my favorite game-maker of all time. Bethesda makes the tools, modders make the game.

I love how some people call modders responsible for the game, when they're still experiencing 99% of Bethesda developed content ;)

It sure is easy making games these days.

I've played Skyrim for hundreds of hours without mods. That modders supposedly make the difference might have been the case for Oblivion, but not for Skyrim.

They certainly help, especially with mechanics and UI - but the heart of the experience is 100% Bethesda.

Also, though SkyUI is fantastic - the weight of negative opinions related to the console inspired UI of vanilla is ridiculously overblown.

In my opinion, anyway.

I am really sad to see there are so many people liking such a game, I guess it might mean more games like that would be made instead of something that'd be interesting for me to play.

To me it has nothing attractive at all in it, and I even tried so hard to like it becasue a lot of people was saying it is great.

I can't think of a single thing to like about it.

I am really sad to see there are so many people liking such a game, I guess it might mean more games like that would be made instead of something that'd be interesting for me to play.

To me it has nothing attractive at all in it, and I even tried so hard to like it becasue a lot of people was saying it is great.

The rest of your post is to be expected, but the last part screams JOXER ;)

I guess I enjoyed Skyrim a lot but its no way the game of the generation. There are lot of things which can be improved hugely in Skyrim and articles like this worries me since more games like Skyrim will be made instead of improved Skyrim.

I guess I enjoyed Skyrim a lot but its no way the game of the generation. There are lot of things which can be improved hugely in Skyrim and articles like this worries me since more games like Skyrim will be made instead of improved Skyrim.

Yeah, when Pacman was hailed as a great game - evolution basically stopped :)

Originally Posted by GothicGothicness View Post

The rest of your post is to be expected, but the last part screams JOXER

I guess the only difference is that I tried to think of something, and I really couldn't come up with anything… it might appear like I said it for the sake of saying it only…..

I guess the only difference is that I tried to think of something, and I really couldn't come up with anything… it might appear like I said it for the sake of saying it only…..

Nah, it appeared you were being irrational :)

If you're rational, you'll realise that even the worst games on this planet have SOMETHING to like. Even if it's just the fact that they end ;)

Back
Top Bottom