Skyrim - v1.2 Update

•Fixed occasional issue where a guest would arrive to the player’s wedding dead
R O F L! "George, this is THE most important day in my life! How could you show up in such a state!? I'll never forgive you for this! Oh great, and now I have to loot you just to get my wedding present!?"

I guess I should check their forums and post the one's I've found. On this list the only one I've had is the dragon thing...which I assumed wasn't even a bug.

I've found one spot that gives a CTD consistently every time I walk on it (small spot in one cave), and one other spot that completely locks the game up every time I walk near it (an overlook/balcony area in one of the dwemer dungeons).

The rest are various quests not updating/clearing properly. One optional objective not doable, 2 quests that show as done but when you go back to certain areas the NPCs from that stage of the quest (who should be gone now) are still there and act as if the quest is still at that stage. A couple more that I completed and got the reward but the quests never moved from the active to the completed list.

Nothing game-breaking so far (110+ hours or so), just relatively minor annoyances.

There are several other things that I think really need to be changed but they will be the area of modders, not patches.

ESC button can now be used to exit menus (PC)
Fixed occasional mouse sensitivity issues (PC)
General functionality fixes related to remapping buttons and controls (PC)

The Esc button now exits out of menus, cheers!

I am quite pleased to see the other two fixes, but I'm partial to the Esc button myself. Hopefully remapping works the way it should (I should be able to change favorites from Q to F without issues this time around).

R O F L! "George, this is THE most important day in my life! How could you show up in such a state!? I'll never forgive you for this! Oh great, and now I have to loot you just to get my wedding present!?"

Imagine if a dragon attacks during an outdoor wedding killing all the guests?

Also, now that I've trained myself to use TAB consistently, I hope they don't disable the TAB key. :/

On a side note, a new beta driver is out for GeForce users (version 290.36), which adds ambient occlusion for Skyrim. Head to this page (also make sure you select "Beta and Legacy Drivers" on the left side). For help turning on ambient occlusion, look here.

^ Does anyone else's nVidia card default to "multiple display performance mode" globally despite only using a single monitor?

On a side note, a new beta driver is out for GeForce users

It's all these years always the same, and it will probably never end :

A new game = a new driver.

You can predict that, any time a new game comes out that is graphically demanding.

This will keep me from buying this game for serveral months. I just don't want a buggy game.

But I fear that accountants will misinterpret people who don't buy games because of their buggy state as pirates, because sales are lost.

Quote from that link :

Somewhere at Bethesda there is an executive, or cadre of executives, who are out of touch with their customers, and arrogant enough to not even address the problems they've caused. The lack of an official response in the forums has served to add fuel to the shitstorm and alienate the very customers who keep the company afloat. It doesn't take much to admit a mistake, or stand by your actions by explaining why. Unfortunately the company remains silent.

Unfortunately he is right : The PC is not their primary platform anymore. All their energies now go into consoles. I think that's why they are so "arrogant" towards PC players nowadays.

A quote from the comments there :

PC version is glitched, PS3 version is glitched, only the Xbox version remains unscathed so far.

... Which shows imho very nicely, which one was their primary platform they developed for ...

Last edited:
I read somewhere that to favourite dual weapons you have to use for example
1 - mace
SHIFT + 1 - sword

Not tried it, no longer use favourites system.

The PC is not their primary platform anymore. All their energies now go into consoles. I think that's why they are so "arrogant" towards PC players nowadays.

Who's "they"? And how are they arrogant again? People seem to think that just because "they" are making a computer game then they should be doing it for the love of it, like the programmer version of Santa's elves. They're just working a job like the rest of us.

I paid 90 (AUS) bucks for the privilege of playing this game on my PC and consider it money well spent. It looks great, runs great, and is one of the best games I've played in a long time. If I were ever to meet the hundreds of people behind a great game like this, I'd give them all a hug.

Seems pretty good given the time since 1.1 and the need to test.

No-one has yet come up with a reproducible crash scenario for Bethsoft to investigate so I wouldn't expect anything to address crashes just yet. They need to find something in common to begin investigating a cause and be able to fix it.

Who's "they"?

Bethesda. I think I remember an interview or an article here in the forum indeed stating that the PC is not their primary platform.

No-one has yet come up with a reproducible crash scenario for Bethsoft to investigate so I wouldn't expect anything to address crashes just yet. They need to find something in common to begin investigating a cause and be able to fix it.

Really?
The game works flawlessly on old rigs with 2GB of RAM. No crashes. On new machines, with more RAM, it crashes as hell - unless you install some 3rd party exe that teaches the game how to use more RAM than is set by default. If the community, fans, those who bought the game and expect it to work, already have an unofficial fix, what does Bethesda need more to make it official (integrate in the patched game exe)?

Alrik, it's not buggy as hell… Only 500+ issues listed inside the unofficial buglist thread on Bethsoft Skyrim forum. From those 500+ at least 50, 10%, are issues that annoy most of players. It's really odd that Bethesda didn't mark those as a priority an fix in the first patch but instead they've fixed some issues a common player can ignore and still have fun with the game as they rarely happen. Take for example an issue where you can't drop/sell/store a certain flute from inventory - there is no player that waon't be affected by this bug if flute is picked up. And how many lines of code or variable changes is needed for that? I gues one. Two, most. But no, Bethesda patched some rare pacified dragons like there are no more dragons to kill in the game. Geez...

I played Skyrim for 3 days, and haven't touched it back.
Oblivion 95
Skyrim 70

Really?
The game works flawlessly on old rigs with 2GB of RAM. No crashes. On new machines, with more RAM, it crashes as hell - unless you install some 3rd party exe that teaches the game how to use more RAM than is set by default.
Not really - I've got a newer machine with 6GB ram and it's also running flawlessly - without any third party fixes.

If the community, fans, those who bought the game and expect it to work, already have an unofficial fix, what does Bethesda need more to make it official (integrate in the patched game exe)?
LAA is treating a symptom, not a cause. It also isn't working for anything like everyone.

LAA is an unofficial fix. Of course it's not working for everyone's crash as it's not programmed by Bethesda. But it's working for many players, so does it hurt to include it in the patch by Bethesda itself, y'know, by the ones who do know their code?

And don't tell me crashes cannot be reproduced by any means. I don't see a problem getting the hardware a player who reports them has at home. IIRC when you report a thing like that, you should use the hardware/software list from dxdiag. You suggesting Bethesda can't pinpoint a type of machine that has most crash reports?
Seems as if both Bethesda and you expect from the player himself to determine the cause of those crashes. The problematic part is... Not all players work in general technical support and certainly no player has the source code of Skyrim.

Goodness, no. The LAA doesn't really seem to do anything. Skyrim never uses even 2 gigs of ram during play sessions. Not sure who the LAA fix would help. Perhaps folks with 3-4 gigs of ram might see some small benefit from it.

It also doesn't seem to hurt anything as far as I can tell. My benchmarks all stay roughly the same, with it or without it.

Back
Top Bottom