Skyrim - What's New Interview @ IGN

Some people are pretty anal about such things. When the Mafia 2 demo made it clear that both console versions looked like crap compared to the PC version there was a near-revolt on the 2K boards. People were claiming they were canceling their pre-orders because they didn't want an "inferior version for the same price" and things like that. I've seen the same sorts of comments for other games as well.

I wonder what these people will say in 2 years, when their 7 years old consoles will only be able to run 7 years old looking games...

Some people are pretty anal about such things. When the Mafia 2 demo made it clear that both console versions looked like crap compared to the PC version there was a near-revolt on the 2K boards. People were claiming they were canceling their pre-orders because they didn't want an "inferior version for the same price" and things like that. I've seen the same sorts of comments for other games as well.

It's ridiculous for them to think they're getting an inferior version for the "same price". The software itself might cost the same, but there's a huge difference in the amount of cost for the respective platforms. They're complaining that it doesn't look as good on their $300 Xbox as it does on a PC that cost at least twice that.

I fail to see how any of those things make the actual game more enjoyable.

Quite a number of players do not fail though.

Gaming has grown into a social activity. It is no longer about playing the game all alone before the screen. It is all about sharing the experience, discussing it and all.

It is nothing new. A sports game, people want to see the game with others, frats,alumni renting spaces to watch the game with others and all, people going to the theater to see a movie etc In the US especially, this group thing has grown so big that people make conventions to gather among themselves, among their peers to discuss their favourite movie franchise (or anything else)

Discussions and all... Is a sports game/movie more enjoyable if you watch and discuss it in group? For many people, clearly, it is the case. And the incredible numbers of channels, forums dedicated to sharing the experience of watching an experience on movies, sports and all...

For the industry though, the most important piece of information is that these people are ready to pay full price of a game without knowing of its qualities to be able to join the fray. Better than anything else. Like all these people who are ready to pay to see a sports game live. What do you care if you watch a game one week after it is played? It changes nothing to the game. Still, really like missing the party, joining when the party is slowly dying...

Quite a number of players do not fail though.

Gaming has grown into a social activity. It is no longer about playing the game all alone before the screen. It is all about sharing the experience, discussing it and all.

For some people maybe, but not for all.

How honest those people were being I couldn't say, but in the end I am sure it is good PR to make everyone think the version they are stuck with is just as good as the other two.

That is an illusion harder and harder to maintain on PCs when games get their developpment console oriented.

Dragon Age 2 plays smoothlier on consoles. The duel, boring on PC as a rogue, is alive on consoles as locking the view on the enemy is so easy to perform. It turns the duel into something totally different as you can observe the opponent in order to jump on him anytime he is off guard. PC as a rogue:spamming abilities, running around to wait for cool downs. Consoles, totally different...

Are PC players cancelling their order because nearly by habit, they got screwed? It looks they accepted the deal and play the game they can afford playing.

That is an illusion harder and harder to maintain on PCs when games get their developpment console oriented.

Dragon Age 2 plays smoothlier on consoles. The duel, boring on PC as a rogue, is alive on consoles as locking the view on the enemy is so easy to perform. It turns the duel into something totally different as you can observe the opponent in order to jump on him anytime he is off guard. PC as a rogue:spamming abilities, running around to wait for cool downs. Consoles, totally different…

Are PC players cancelling their order because nearly by habit, they got screwed? It looks they accepted the deal and play the game they can afford playing.

I've seen side-by-side comparison video on giantbomb.com and I very much disagree with you. The PC versions is by far the better one, not just in gameplay but also of course in graphics and framerate.

Graphics, framerate, they depend on the PC rig.
Gameplay, not so much. I did not watch the video comparison on giantbomb.com. I'll. I am eagerof reading how they managed to conclude that the gameplay is better on PC than it is on consoles.

Tactically, the game is not challenging other by drowning the player under waves after waves of enemies. Consoles versions with their adequate control especially camera allow for fluid combat (and exploration) The feeling on managing an unstoppable party of demi god come well on consoles. On PC, the player is entangled in awkward camera control and target selection.

For the industry though, the most important piece of information is that these people are ready to pay full price of a game without knowing of its qualities to be able to join the fray. Better than anything else. Like all these people who are ready to pay to see a sports game live. What do you care if you watch a game one week after it is played? It changes nothing to the game. Still, really like missing the party, joining when the party is slowly dying…

Watching a sporting event and playing a game are entirely different experiences. I can understand why some people like to play a game the same time as others, but personally I'd rather make sure that game is up to my standards before I start playing it.

?

It controls like any game of this type, I don't get what you're trying to say.

On PC, maybe and yet...

The camera control is awkward on PC, a flaw enhanced by the fast paced feature of the combat system.

Watching a sporting event and playing a game are entirely different experiences. I can understand why some people like to play a game the same time as others, but personally I'd rather make sure that game is up to my standards before I start playing it.

Many different experiences. Watching a movie, reading a book, watching a sports game, playing a video game, travelling around the world...

Many see a difference in practising all these in groups and discussing all this in groups.

Many is more than one. And with a standard price, better to sell to many than only to one.

On PC, maybe and yet…

The camera control is awkward on PC, a flaw enhanced by the fast paced feature of the combat system.

It controlls way better on PC than on console, that's for sure.. And the controlls arent any different than other FPS/RPG's, never had a problem with it in Oblivion or other similar games. The only time controlls can be bad on PC is if you're having issues with FPS or have a bad mouse (or just bad mouse settings). Controlls are very fluid using Logitech G9 and G13 combo for me.

Awkward does not mean bad. Learning more about your combo/mouse settings is required at this point. Nice to learn how they can make a game whose controls were designed to suit consoles better on PC.

Awkward does not mean bad.

Then explain ankward better, to me it isnt a word you normally use for something positive? The controlls arent more ankward than anything else on PC.

Learning more about your combo/mouse settings is required at this point.
It's probably just personal preference, it depends on your playstyle, how you sit, size of your hands etc, just need to find something comfortable and ergonomic, that's all. The G13 is nice because i can have it in my lap which is more comfortable imo, playing using a normal keyboard can feel a bit "stale".

Nice to learn how they can make a game whose controls were designed to suit consoles better on PC.

Got a source for that statement? Pretty sure they designed it to suit both PC and consoles, since we afterall arent forced to use a gamepad or anything..

The last point is a trick hard to manage. A controller and mouse plus keyboard are fundamentally different inputs. It is very hard to come with a system that suits equally the mouse/keyboard and the controller. Now if you feel that DA2 achieved that, I experienced the opposite. The actions like camera control flow smoothly with a controller on console contrary to PC. That is awkward.

I wanted to know the assignments/key associations you made so I can try them.

As to the statement, this:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/259160/news/dragon-age-2-designed-for-console-players/

I misread, i thought you were talking about Oblivion.

I've only tested the demo of DA2 for maybe 15 minutes or less, so i can't say much about the controlls there, can't say i noticed anything bad or ankward in that time though.

You must be effing kidding, right? Not even funny. And I looked for a source to support the statement.

nah, happens sometimes, people misread things :) sorry. i probably mixed it up with some other discussion about Oblivion earlier.

Back
Top Bottom