Skyrim - Why It Might Not Be Worth Your Time

People who point to Morrowind as the best in series are usually the same people who's first TES experience was Morrowind.

If it was Daggerfall, then that was the best.

If it was Oblivion, then that was the best.

It's funny how consistent this pattern has held over the years.

I'll break your mold then. My first game was Daggerfall and couldn't stand that game. I played Morrowind and liked it a lot more than Daggerfall. Then Played Oblivion and appreciated Morrowind a lot more.

I've tried playing Oblivion modded to hell and back and still it's boring. Even Nehrim which I loved at first became a chore because the combat was exactly the same. Although I did get pretty far in that game before the combat really started to annoy me. Hats off to those guys for trying to make a decent game using Oblivion as their engine.

I hate Oblivion's combat and wish it had been more like Morrowind's or better yet and improved version of Morrowind's combat instead of what we got. All this talk about how Oblivion's combat is more visceral is annoying. Who cares? I want numbers to reflect how good I am as a swordsman. If I have 1 point in swords then I want my character to miss all the time until I improve that skill.

I'm not sure which I dislike more, Two Worlds 1 or Daggerfall. I despise both of those games for the same reason. They are empty soulless husks.

Last edited:
Actually my first ES game was Arena which I really enjoyed as well. I just thought DF was better. I played MW for about 100 hours, but never really finished the main storyline. All 3 were better IMHO than Ob.

I loved all 4 games so far, so I can't judge. I'd say hours-wise I played Oblivion the most, Daggerfall second, Morrowind, then Arena. Morrowind wasn't as fun because absolutely everyone hated the main character, and that got old for me. I totally agree about level-scaling and voice acting. Let's do away with the first and greatly improve the second. M'kay?

Arena had a very cool intro and a wonderful spell called passwall. Outside of that, it was pretty weak. Nice for its day, but it aged worse than the rest. Daggerfall is still fun, especially in finding stuff for your character doll. You could really look odd if you mixed and matched badly.

As far as taking elements from Fallout 3 and incorporating them into TES, I think that'd be a bad idea. Let's keep the series separate.

This forum is still different from most other forums. Most of the regular posters here are pretty insightful about the games they play and comment on here.

But judging from the thousands of hate posts on the official forums (dating all the way back to Compuserve) toward whatever the latest TES game is compared to the last one, the pattern I've seen since Arena has held true.

There are of course, exceptions as some of you have pointed out, but they are exceptions.

Yes, but check out the average age of the posters on the official forums compared to here; it says a lot!! :)

IMO, Daggerfall was the best with Arena a really close second. Morrowind being 3rd place and Oblivion being 4th place.

Major reason why, lots and lots of massive dungeons that you can get lost in, which were both in Daggerfall and Arena. When Bethesda decided to hand craft the dungeons, they become smaller and not nearly as many.

Also, who doesn't have a special place in their heart for "The Void" that Arena and Daggerfall had? Of those who have played those games.

skavenhorde: If the Oblivion combat system is to your disliking you should check out the below mod that changes the combat system to be more like the combat system in Morrowind. I'm not sure but this mod should work with Nehrim by changing it's master.

http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=31120

You just solved one of the biggest problems I had with Oblivion. Thanks :)

The next time I get that itch to give it 'just one more shot with tons of mods' this mod is getting loaded first.

Now do they have a mod to fix the plot yet? or the horrible sidequests? Dark Brotherhood quests being the only exception, from what I've heard. Never done those.

I have no idea why people think Daggerfall was anything but a joke. Oh well, must be one of those things I just don't get like why reality TV is so popular. Especially reality shows based in Jersy. Never understood the appeal to watch brain dead idiots….sorta like Daggerfall. The NPCs are all brain dead idiots ;)

Only played Morrowind and Oblivion, not the previous titles.
When I first fired up Morrowind I was like one of the previous posters wrote in AWE! Design was really great with each new place being unique and then there was the lore, books, detailed descriptions.
Combat was OK, everyone was complaining but to me it made perfect sense cause it in fact did make sense. I never even went far with factions such as Imperial cult or Temple of Dunmer or whatever it was called, there was so much I didn't feel like I need to to experience the game.

And now Oblivion. I think I played every single quest before I would get to Vivec in Morrowind. I felt really frustrated after 5th portal when they started to reappear in design. The factions were no challenge at all in any way. Just follow the big arrow in front of you and don't worry, executing any quest will have no effect on any other quest or anything in the game. No lore, combat ridiculously easy right from the start, fuck it... Don't ever wanna see it and I don't care about the mods.

You say that you don't care about the mods but those mods solve pretty much every complaint you had with Oblivion and also there are far more and do far more extensive changes then mods that exist in Morrowind.

You say that you don't care about the mods but those mods solve pretty much every complaint you had with Oblivion and also there are far more and do far more extensive changes then mods that exist in Morrowind.
game comes out, i buy it and play it.
i don't wait for enthusiasts to fix it. i want out of the box experience. and if the changes mods introduce are so big then it's not the same game anymore?

IMO, Daggerfall was the best with Arena a really close second. Morrowind being 3rd place and Oblivion being 4th place.

Major reason why, lots and lots of massive dungeons that you can get lost in, which were both in Daggerfall and Arena. When Bethesda decided to hand craft the dungeons, they become smaller and not nearly as many.

Also, who doesn't have a special place in their heart for "The Void" that Arena and Daggerfall had? Of those who have played those games.

I've experienced the void with both Morrowind and Oblivion. It's blue, compared to black for the earlier games :D

PS Daggerfall also my favourite of the series.

+1 for the Morrowind mods.

Less Generic NPC/LGNPC mods are some of the best for Morrowind. These mods actually brought a little substance to the game and no I don't count a thousand and one books to read substance. I'm talking about those dang NPCs who say the same things over and over and over again. These mods try to make them a bit more interesting.

It's clear that most of the people in these forums are of the 'Gothic is king' opinion, so they want all games to be as close to that as possible, but to many people (like me), we don't like that style. So, in my experience, Oblivion was much better than Morrowind. I played and liked Morrowind, but at times I felt lost and not knowing what to do… to some this seems to be the epitome of greatness.
I prefer a much more directed approach, so I liked Oblivion a lot more (and probably why I could never get into the Gothics as much as I tried).

Gothic is a lot more directed than Oblivion, though.

Indeed, the Gothic (and Risen) are kind of Oblivion-light, but they really don't have anything in commons.

I still think that Morrowind is the better game (better ambiance, better UI, etc), but I do agree that Oblivion had improvement in a few sector. Although some where badly implemented in the end.

It's just they took so much away in other areas to "pay" for these improvements...

Oblivion vs Morrowind, eh? I hate this argument, it`s one of these where both sides are "right"…leading to logical headache :)
Especially if, like me, you`re in both camps…i`m a defender of hardcore rules but also a graphics whore…
Never played Morrowind, had no sufficient hardware at the time but Daggerfall ate quite a chunk of my life (was actually playing it again few weeks back - it was the only open world my laptop could handle). Then I had 360/ 32"LCD for some time - and seeing Oblivion on that blew me away. For some time - before I discovered that doggone leveling flaw - it was in my all-time-top 3.

As for the critics -well, I hear you, but… Don`t know, I think Oblivion is one rare case where "streamlining" (hate this word) wasn`t so bad…don`t get me wrong, I`d love it to be as complex as previous games - but given current climate (Arcania? ME2? Drago..oh well :) it`s something I can live with. It was still a huge, BEAUTIFUL, open world with gazillion things to do…

So I think we should give Skyrim a chance…unless they totally dumb it down. But then, they did not with Fallouts (ok, ok easy now :) so maybe there`s hope…

If they are indeed developing a new engine from scratch... just imagine how many bugs it'll have on release......... just another reason to not get excited about this.

Back
Top Bottom