SW: Old Republic Preview

I'll never pre-order an MMO - especially not an EA/Bio MMO.

But I'll get it cheap post-release, if I sense it's worth it. I'll try and get in a beta and see for myself.

MMO feedback is notoriously unreliable because it's always about "promises", "the next patch", or the "next expansion".

People loooove to delude themselves.

I'd say TOR is an MMO in which you can easily not play at release and have the same experience as if you did, so if you can live through the temptation of it being out there and you not playing, you'll save some $30 after waiting a few months. TOR is basically a bunch of single player RPGs (8 to start I think) where you see other people playing.
Other MMOs are much better when they are just released, as they are more 'multiplayer', so it's a better experience when you go through the thing with other people that are also going through the thing for their fist time.

I guess that is probably true with SWTOR. All that storytelling is going to be permanent. It's a bit fun though to play at launch since there are lot of people buzzing around. There is also that tendency to tune down difficulty so you get to experience maybe a little more challenge if you're an early adopter.

I hadn't planned on delving into this game. I tend to think that it's overhyped so badly that a large influx of WoW idiots will be had on day one. Unfortunately, some guys I knew from Everquest asked me if I'd join them and I grudgingly relented, at least to try it out.

Those prices are laughable though… Do they also offer a lifetime membership for pre-order only, @$1,000? Does it come with a "I have too much money to think properly" pin?

I would say instancing is VERY good - though I don't know what Age of Conan's was like in particular.

I find the news about instancing very good news. When I'm in the quest to find the sacred lightstone of midicliroinanin, and me being the only jedi trusted with the secret (according to the storyline quest), I don't want to find a line of characters waiting for the NPC to spawn.

Release date: 12/20/2011

Let the fall of Bioware commence…..Well at least according to that EA-Louse guy who said it was horrible. Don't know his real name, but we all know that anonymous people can be trusted completely ;)

I preordered this, I haven't heard anything bad from people who have played it. And bioware usually has a good record with their games, so I'm happy. Hell, it's starwars too;)

I preordered this, I haven't heard anything bad from people who have played it. And bioware usually has a good record with their games, so I'm happy. Hell, it's starwars too;)
I'm getting paged by friends to preorder it. Still reserving judgement. Would be nice to beta-test it first. My concerns for it is linearity, instancing, and difficulty tuning. Other than that I think it looks fine from the beta-videos I've come across.

And bioware usually has a good record with their games...

Ummm...hmm I don't even know how to respond to this. I used to feel that way once upon a time. Now, yeah not so much.

They've got a lot riding on this one though so hopefully it's decent. Not much of an MMO fan but if it goes down in price or they have a free weekend or something I will check it out at least.

Well, I'll tell ya, it's really… gag! uurrgh! >> choke <<

I find your lack of NDA compliance disturbing.

Ghhha! >> thump <<

Ummm…hmm I don't even know how to respond to this. I used to feel that way once upon a time. Now, yeah not so much.

They've got a lot riding on this one though so hopefully it's decent. Not much of an MMO fan but if it goes down in price or they have a free weekend or something I will check it out at least.

They do have a good track record, Dragon age 1, mass effect 1 and mass effect 2 are all great games, hell I'm even having fun with dragon age 2...not as much as the first one but it's hardly horrible.

They do have a good track record, Dragon age 1, mass effect 1 and mass effect 2 are all great games, hell I'm even having fun with dragon age 2…not as much as the first one but it's hardly horrible.

Well let's just say I am glad someone is enjoying it (DA2) and felt like they got their money's worth. :p I personally don't feel that game lived up to its hype so I have a hard time buying into it this time around.

I think I'll wait for opinions from real players (who aren't under NDA ;) ) on a final version of the game. I definitely don't have enough faith in Bioware at this point to pre-order anything they make.

Back
Top Bottom