Temple of elemental evil

I've never played very far into Arcanum, but I loved the atmosphere, and I definitely plan on doing a full playthrough when I have time.

What I didn't like though was the combat, it felt very unpolished and unbalanced. I also prefer to have direct control over the members in my party, as opposed to AI control.

Yeah, combat is the only major complaints that a lot of us had with the game. I wish they made the combat turn based.
Other than that, it is a game with amazing details. Since you mentioned you liked Witcher, I am sure you would be interested to know that there are quite a few moments in Arcanum where the consequence of your action (choice of dialog, choice of action etc.) would not be revealed until much later. And for some of the consequences, you probably won't know what dialog/action triggered it until you have played through the game and/or read the FAQ somewhere.

Oh and there are few black-n-white choices in Arcanum, even at the very end... (think PST)

How fittingly ! :) I bought one specimen of the English-language version of TOEE on a small flea market today ... :) - With handbook ! :)

Before I had only a budget-version in German language and without an handbook (the German budget "Software-Pyramide" version).

How fittingly ! :) I bought one specimen of the English-language version of TOEE on a small flea market today … :) - With handbook ! :)

Before I had only a budget-version in German language and without an handbook (the German budget "Software-Pyramide" version).

Nice, please treasure that awesome manual. Don't let any of your friend "borrow" it, esp. not for "research for a project..."

While on that subject, if you get a chance to get a game guide for one of these older RPGs. I HIGHLY recommend picking them up. They are usually very well made, and very artistic. (Just don't get the one for BG2 unless you have gone through the game once already. Because if you don't, reading the nice walkthrough will make you realize just how big the game is, and how much you have missed already. :p)

I recently bought the official game guide of BG via ebay. 5 Euros plus shipping, but I thought: grab it, before anyone else does it. :D ;)

By the way, has anyone tried the chips recipe of the end of the TOEE handbook ?

Hehe, shortly after my last post, I went and bought a Arcanum Strategy guide... :blush:

I have not made "The Chocolate Chip of the Gods" myself. But just reading the ingredient list make my mouth salivate. :) I am the type that would definitely finish the cookie dough before it is cooked...

If you want more recipes, check out the 2 at the back of Fallout 1's awesome Manual. ;)

There is a setting to make the combat completely turn-based.

I should rephrase what I said: "I wish they have made the combat turn based, from ground up."

Combat in Arcanum is very simplistic even in complete turn based mode. The party AI is... not good... And there are very little tactical strategy involved. If they developed the combat as turn based from ground up, I am sure they would make it more involved.

Hehe, shortly after my last post, I went and bought a Arcanum Strategy guide…

I coincidently just got one off Ebay about 2 weeks ago, only paid $.99 + shipping for it, and it's pretty much brand new.

Now I'm looking for guides for ToEE and PoR 2.

All this talk has me thinking about installing PoR2 on the netbook ...

If you want more recipes, check out the 2 at the back of Fallout 1's awesome Manual. ;)

There also is 1 shipping I think as a simple text file Stonekeep (Muffins), and I've found 1 in Return To Krondor, it's a German-language receipe for Chai tea.

I can send the screenshot, if wanted. I think I even sent it to here for the game gallery at RPGWatch, but it wasn't included, I think.

Here's the one from Stonekeep:

Tim Cain's Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Muffins
————————————————————-
They're the Shadowking's favorites!

1 2/3 cup flour 1 cup sugar
2 tsp cinnamon 1 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves 1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder 1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs 1 cup pumpkin (half of a 16 oz. can)
1 cup chocolate chips 1/2 cup butter (1 stick), melted

Preheat oven to 350. Grease muffin tins (one dozen regular sized)
or use baking cups. Mix flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves,
baking soda, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Break eggs
into another bowl. Add pumpkin and butter and whisk until blended.
Stir in chocolate chips. Pour over dry ingredients and stir until just
blended. Do NOT overstir! Scoop batter into tins and bake 20-25
minutes. After cooling, keep muffins wrapped in plastic to avoid drying.

Oh really? I didn't know that all those games had recipes in their manuals...

I know of only these two.

Hmmm I definitely wouldn't love to see them. They are in the manuals of those two games right? I will try to find the manual first.

The Stonekeep recipe is there as a simple text file, if I remember this correctly (and I'm quite sure on that), the Chat Tea scroll was to be found (and purchased) within the game, and the recipe of TOEE is at the end of the handbook.

There's one in the Arcanum manual, too.

Oh, then I must've missed it.

Not to mention - by the way - the lots of recipes within the books of Divine Divinity, of which I'm often not sure whether they are meant "for real" or for within the game ?

Back in the days when ToEE was released, I missed it totally and since I've heard it was quite buggy, I'm glad that I did. I now got the game and I installed Circle of Eight Modpack, which is suppose to fix some bugs.

How well does the game work with the mod and generally is it any fun at all? I really loved BG and IWD series so this seems like a nice game.

Back
Top Bottom