The meaning of your screen name

Well, having had no imagination when I first registered for any boards, I used my rl initals, CM. However the watch won't let you have two letter handles so I just added the gamer part.

In C-RPGs, I tend to use names with an ancient Greek flavour, since archaeology is my greatest hobby. "Thalos" is my most used name, then.

The first nickname I ever had was whathappened. That name hails from the good old days of quake and team fortress classic. Whathappened was born when I made my first attempt to establish a connection to an online gaming network, the name of which I cannot remember. For those of you who remember HEAT is was something like that. Anyway, my 36.6 dial-up connection was finicky at best so many of my attempts that day were met with failure. When I finally got through I was asked for a user name, in my confusion I typed in whathappened the rest is history, well sort of.

Lostnumber is the name of a somewhat fearsome looking monster from FF7. To be specific, it's the one that attacks immediately after the safe in the Shinra mansion is opened. I liked the monster and loved the name so I took it. By today's graphical standards Lostnumber is no longer very fearsome looking; I just keep the name around for its nostalgic value. Chances are that if you have seen the name lostnumber or thelostnumber anywhere else it’s been me; either that or its some lesser imposter.

The avatar is Carl from Aqua Teen Hunger Force playing the air guitar in an attempt impress a prostitute he brought to his termite riddled house. I could go on but trying to explain the premise behind an ATHF episode to anyone who hasn't seen it is a hopeless endeavor. It anyone reading this hasn’t watched at least a few ATHF episodes I would encourage you to do so. They take a little getting used to, but once accustom, they’re nothing short of hilarious.

@Myrthos

Actually it is Myrtos (lovely place btw) but close enough :)
No that's a village on the isle of Crete.

Myrthos is the name of a beach on the isle of Kefalonia. Different island... but close enough ;)

Slam23 is my tribute to the best basketball player ever to grace the court (for you pagans: it's Michael Jordan). The slam part came about when I discovered chat rooms for the first time, back in about 1996-97. It was the site of a hoops magazine called "SLam" and I couldn't believe that I was the first one to use the nick. The experience of instantly being able to talk hoops with people from all over the world blew my mind. Especially when you live in a hoops-starved country like I do. Somehow of all my nicks it stuck and it is the only one I use now.

Besides slam23, I have used MrBassman (another hobby of mine and real life nick when I performed with my band) and Ancalagon_the_Black or BlackAncalagon if they won't allow underscores. That last one is a tribute to Tolkien and it refers to the primordial dragon that Morgoth created to be his protector. The name literally means "iron-jawed swan". I'm absolutely a sucker for dragons in games and movies. I only just found out that "Ancalagon" can also mean "a fossil of a priapulid worm that is commonly found in the Burgess Shale". Bummer....

mind comes from the feather "curious yellow" which is from the book vurt by jeff noon. to know more read the book. plus i like the name. i had an image of a feather on my computer a few years back but lost that gem. so instead of nothing, like on the 'dot' i put up the wizard of speed and time logo - from my days in grade school.

When I registered here I was reading a book by Cormac McCarthy, the great american novelist. I didnt know what name to use and I certainly didnt want my old one from rpgdot so I took McCarthy's.

I only just found out that "Ancalagon" can also mean "a fossil of a priapulid worm that is commonly found in the Burgess Shale". Bummer....

Not Anomalocaris ? I know a few bits about the Burgess Shale, since it has always been fascinating me (I've studied Geology and Palaontology for a few years, by the way).

But Anomalocaris was no worm ... so you might be right, although I've never heard about this worm before ...

No that's a village on the isle of Crete.

Myrthos is the name of a beach on the isle of Kefalonia. Different island... but close enough ;)

Ah, so spending most of my childhood summers in Poulata
(my mothers birthplace)
a few Ks from the Beach and also swimming there at least once
a Week would not make me an Authority on the matter you say eh :) ?

Weeell here something in Latin characters that may help:

http://www.e-city.gr/kefalonia/home/view/1210.php

But I see what the misunderstanding is: Phonetic spelling. You see for us
Greeks "Th" phonetically is pronounced as the one in "thesaurus" for instance.
So for the names to be understood correctly when you want to pronounce a
"tee" just use a simple "t" t with an inaudible "h" simply will not do since we
dont have a relevant device in our Language (Meertos phoneticaly but using
the y is OK since it makes us think of the Greek ypsilon). same Goes for Talos
(Thalos) that someone mentioned above...

Hmm on retrospection phonetic spelling is made for you people to pronounce
our names correctly so I guess you may well damn use what you wish :D

Also my Father hails from Sfakia in the province of Hania Crete ;)

Sorry about the Rant but language and origins are two things Greeks
are a bit touchy about.

Ah, thanks.

I've been reading a bit about ancient worms recently, so I understood what it is.

"Th" in German language is spelled unlike the "english "th", by the way. It's basically an t with an more or less omitted h. So I guess it's like in Greek language as well.

My nick is the name were my real life name comes from: tiziano comes from titus.
but only found that out later. I wanted something that sounded like a roman warrior or emperor and based on my own name so I took the tit (my name is pronounced titsiano) and just threw a us after it
so there it was titus.
I used it in most games or I use skullion.

Uriziel.....now HMMMMM....where did I get that nick?

In Homeworld, then later in various online play I was the original DeathBringer. That nick got whored out so much I abandoned it.....dam lamers shoulda thought up their own nick.

On non-gaming forums I am nitrolife....no caps, no other font tricks....simply nitrolife. I sometimes have the privelege of driving 8,000 horsepower nitromethane burning top fuel race cars. When I am driving them, I am truly living the nitro life.......figure it out from there lol.

On crap sites that make you sign up to get something I need ONCE and never need the site again, the nick is WTFever and the password is blowme......feel free to test that username and pass before signing up.....who knows, i mighta already been there lol. Oh, I almost forgot, the email addy is biteme@home.com :p

But I see what the misunderstanding is: Phonetic spelling. You see for us
Greeks "Th" phonetically is pronounced as the one in "thesaurus" for instance.
So for the names to be understood correctly when you want to pronounce a
"tee" just use a simple "t" t with an inaudible "h" simply will not do since we
dont have a relevant device in our Language (Meertos phoneticaly but using
the y is OK since it makes us think of the Greek ypsilon). same Goes for Talos
(Thalos) that someone mentioned above...
Great, in that case my nick means absolutely nothing. Kewl :)

yes it is a far way between skullion and an emperor. but the emperor parts only works for titus, which nickname i also use in real life among friends.
skullion came from skeletor, in the time i played D2, skeletor was taking, skulllord en skullmaster too. So i kept the skull and trewed a more somewhat latin/scientif ending to it and there it was: skullion :D

I originally got my screen name many years ago, just after the original EverQuest was released. I purchased the game and stumbled through the set-up and account creation process and ultimately arrived at a point where I needed to choose an account username. At the time, having never played an MMORPG before, I thought it was asking me what I wanted my character to be named (since I didn't at the time understand the concept behind an "account name"). So I thought... "well... this is an important decision! This gaming experience is bound to be an incredible ride that'll last a long time! So I put a lot of thought into it and wanted to have something witty, demanding of authority, and yet deserving of some degree of respect. Ultimately, and with the help of a thesaurus, I came up with deity... which addressed my desire for a name that was deserving of authority, and in day-dreaming of the soon-to-come immersive experience in a medieval world where magic and swords and armor were the tools of conquest and survival, I remembered the great movies based in the same era I had enjoyed. I remembered that a man, upon becoming a knight, was conventionally henceforth addressed with the word "sir" before his name, in recognition of his honor. Thus, I put sir before deity and said "this is good." Haha...anyway, I realized that the account wasn't anything anyone would see so I never actually used in the my EverQuest experience. Instead, I invented new names and a role-playing story behind each of my characters. However, I needed to memorize sirdeity to log into my account before I could enter the game everytime I played. Soon after playing EverQuest I started visiting forums for games and found that it was difficult to remember my usernames for all the various forums I'd visit... so instead of writing them all down and looking them up whenever I forgot one, I simply used what I already had memmorized... and why not? I like my username... you could say I've grown attatched to it =) Anyway, so I use SirDeity at every forum and every registration that isn't extremely confidential. I use different password though so don't get any ideas ; )

Back
Top Bottom