The RP Thread

OOC:

@ titus: please do not control major characters anymore. I find it hard to believe that Pyrokar would give a thief/killer the right to inspect the death of someone, and even welcome him so warmly. Like I stated, be reasonable. You can write speech in any way you like, as long as it is differentiated from action and description. Also, the barrier is up. I'm going to state since it apparently causes a lot of confusion, and I don't want that. Try not to refer to the sleeper or anything happening inside the barrier, though - your character wouldn't know about it, or the Nameless One, anyway.

IC:

At Gregor's house...
He looked at the three men to his left. The light of the fireplace gave them an eerie look, but their faces, rough as they were, seemed honest enough. He couldn't refuse help, anyway. They might believe he was the murderer.

"Thank you kindly," the young man said, not looking as though he really meant what he said. "My story is the same I told the guard, but nevertheless, I shall tell you as well, " he turned his look to the fire and spoke everything he could say. (OOC: the background story in my first post). "Here is the note. It's a bit bloody, but it is still readable." He extended his hand with a piece of paper in it.

"About anything that might spark particular interest, I cannot say. My father looking worried in the night of his death? The wind that blew my candle? The soundless stabbing? The note? Many things are intriguing here. I just trust you three, " and he looked at them with his red, tired eyes, "can find the murderer. Please."

"As for your questions, mage - no, nobody came to testify as an eye-witness, and yes, I have many relatives. My mother, Lucia, is here in the building, upstairs, mourning my father. Pray do not disturb her. Zuris was the brother of my father. He is in the family business; my father crafted and bottled the potions, Zuris sold them in the market. He is now in the upper part of town, speaking - or negociating, if you like - to Salandril, another of Khorinis' alchemists. The old bastard is claiming this house as his own, on the right that a non-merchant family should no longer have their house in the market square. Only gold, that one sees."

He stood up. "Now if you'll excuse me, the sun has set, and I have many things to do," he said, politely ushering Gwildor, Bartacus and Alonzo out of the house.

Last edited:
Alonzo was happy the young man came to answer all of his questions, but he had one more question to ask and said in a loud voice :

Wait! I would like to ask you one last question. Did your father have any enemies ? Anyone who would want to harm him ? Or can you think of anyone who could profit from his dead ? Maybe a business partner or another merchant ?

The novice hoped he could persuade him to keep talking for a while. He knew Gregor might clap up, shut the door on his face, but he had to try.

//I know you mentioned Salandril already, maybe someone else too ?

At Gregor's house ...

He looked at the novice quizzically.
"Sir, I am but 17. All I know of my father's business is how to make a few potions, certainly not his dealings with other merchants, men and women. You shall have to find out for yourselves - I am sorry to say I cannot help you here. Now, please leave, it is getting late."
He lead the men to the door, and closed it with a loud squeak of the hinges.

OOC: you now have your first choice ahead of you. Split up and investigate for yourselves, or stay in a group and hope your different ... backgrounds can convince them, while risking the spread of the news you're looking for the murderer. And remember the consequences (both in discussions and physical danger) of being alone!
@ Pladio - Gregor is the father's name, not the son's. I haven't given him a name yet.

Last edited:
Alonzo, I know of lord Andre that you were apointed with the same task as me. Do you know Gwildir from the monastery?
Also, you seem to know a thing or two about potions. Perhaps you can get that Salandril character to talk?
Gwildir, it's best that we divide ourselves along the city. I'll take the harbour district. With my old leather armour I won't be noticed as an outsider. Maybe you can take the market place?

//Btw, Khass, can one of our characters just come up with some info without getting it from you? -> I mean Krzychu didn't participate yet. He can suddenly bump into one of us with a story about that he saw some dark clothed man leaving the house.

New character:

Name: Merydion

Appearing to be in her mid-twenties, she hailed from a place far away from Khorinis, having travelled far on such an early age to pursue her childhood dreams of being a traveller bound by nothing. The price, however, did not come cheap, for the scar running down the nape of her neck down towards her collarbone was the proof of her previous toils, although always invisible from the solemn cloak she draws upon herself; although it hardly matters, her crimson locks and blue eyes exposed more of her than what the cloaks hides.

Earning her livings through guile (supported by her more than decent skills in thievery and lock-picking, although hid under a mask of mock nobility), she travels through the planes, and only recently drawn to a certain place...

OOC:
@ Bartacus: Hmmm ... I'd prefer not. It would interfere with my plans, since I can't control him, and anything he might say could probably be way off from what I want. He can make up a story about his delay, but nothing heavily related to the actual campaign, please.
@ heavyblade: accepted. And a warm welcome to the forums! :)

Drawing her cloak around her tightly as the evening mist clung to her, she stepped through the docks and onto the main road, taking in notice of the foreign landscape, surveying the hustles and bustles of the place. She unfolded the piece of parchment once again, worn by touch, before stuffing it back into her pocket, this motion she repeated multiple times during her voyage here, and later, when she arrived.

Craning her head around, pretending not to look lost, she strode over to the nearest person in sight, and tapped him on the shoulder. "Tis not my will to interrupt your bussiness, sir," she inquired corteously with a slight bow upon his notice, and ignoring his gaping mouth, continued, "But I am new here, and if I may ask; who is in charge here? I've bussiness with him."

The man, which by now she thought of as either dumb of mute, feebly pointed to a vague direction, which, after another slight bow, and a slight smile, she followed it.

A garrison loomed in sight, and, with a flurry of grey, she entered it. Passing through his guards, she went to him. She sat herself, and handed him the worn parchment, sat herself, and said mildly, "I fished this," She said, handing him the worn parchment, "in the pocket of a drunken fool of a noble, and I won't collaborate on how I stumbled upon that wretch. I thought you might be interested in what I propose. Pardon the tears on it, he held on to it quite tightly, as I recall." Continuing with her pleasant baritone, she made a few vague gestures with her hand at the parchment, "As you can see, it outlines the recent criminal activity in Khorinis, most up-to-date is a recent murder of a guard at the harbor, and the servere murder of a herbalist shortly before my arrival. I pledge my service for you, Lord, for a motive entirely of my own, to apprehend the criminals. You might need the hands of a woman, for once."

Last edited:
// Oh, sorry Khass. My mistake.
//I think it's better we seperate for a while and then regroup with the information.

No, I never saw him. I'll go and meet with Salandril, the other merchants and the mages and the novices. Maybe one of them saw something. I'll go to the temple then.

Alonzo waited for Bart and Gwildir to decide the last details.

//khass: sorry for controlling a npc, but this will be the only time. I am not a thief/killer
more like a merceneray with respect of the mages because I do their dirty work that know one can know about. If that is oke with you? I just used him as an easy passage in town to join in in the story.
edit: ps: it is gwildor and not gwildir ;)

Oke I will investigate the market. Alanzo can you help me get in the upper town? I need to talk to the Judge first. It won't take long, and after my talk with him I will be able to put me with my whole mind on the case. He takes off his Nordmarr armor and puts on his hunting armor, so he wouldn't stand out in the crowd that much.

Lord Andre stood upright, inspecting the woman in front of him. It was obvious he didn't have much confidence in her, and his frown criticised her and her ways.
"Lady, if you're entitled to such a name," he growled, "it is with great pain I accept you to even stand in this city without getting arrested, but by sheer luck, I'd require your ... skills. But," he quickly snapped, seeing her smile, "do not imagine for a second that you will be alone in this. I will have you under guard at every step, understand! And Innos help you if you mention to anybody under authority that you've been sent by me, or I myself will lock you in the dungeons or send you to the mines! Pretend you're a prisoner to the men I'll hand you over to. Understood?!" Lord Andre shouted. "Very well," he said, seeing her nod, "guard! Take ... what is your name? Take Merydion to Bartacus and the novice, right away!"
He went back to reading his book, as if nothing happened. In fact, he was grinding his teeth, wondering if he'd been wise to do this. "I'll just lock her up after, anyway. Or sooner." he thought to himself.

OOC:
@ titus: okay, we passed that, but try to refrain from it in the future. ;)

Bartacus goes to the harbour district and notices a man standing on the shores. It(s a man whom's face is somehow familiar to him. He looks like a scoundrel he once knew. But what was his name again ... Alvres ..no that wasn't it!... Ra..Lari.LARES, that was the guys name. The best thief of Myrtana and since long put behind the barrier. Bartacus knew him as a trainee at his former arena in Myrtana. Bartacus learned Lares how to fight, but Lares only stole a special ring from him. Bartacus reporterd it to the Paladins and Lares was caught red handed. Therefor he was sent to serve his time in the colony.

"Hello Lares, strange coïncidence that has brought us here together don't you think? Oh, don't be alarmed or frightened, I'm sure you served your time and I'm not by any means hostile to you."

Last edited:
"...I'm telling you for the last time: this is none of your business!" said an irritated guard standing in front of the house where the murder took place.
"Aw, come on. The whole city is talking about the murder anyway, so you might as well fill me in on the details - you know I can help." replied Antasir, trying to sound as casual as he could. In truth, he was not only interested in the recent events but also worried that he might be pushing it too far this time.
"Help? - said the man with a note of contempt in his voice. - More like cause trouble. Anyway, who let you into the city again? You know what, nevermind that. Since you came here you've been poking your nose into our affairs, and as far as I know, you may be a thief or a spy. I've had it with you." With these words the guard started walking towards Antasir with a threatening look on his face. "All right, I'm already gone sir!" said Antasir and walked away very quickly. "Good riddance." said the guard, with no real intention of catching him.

When Antasir disappeared between the houses, he stopped for a while. He was in the wilds when the tragedy took place, but he heard a few townsfolk talking about in the street when he entered the city. Antasir really was interested in the murder, and he was also hoping of helping in an unofficial manner to get some recognition in the city, as he was planning to stay here for a while. He started wondering if it wouldn't be easier to just go to Lord Andre and try to get hired, but somehow he didn't want to become one of the guards. He was used to working as a mercenary, from his past life in the Southern Islands. Taking a deep breath, he stopped thinking about this and entered the nearby tavern owned by a man called Coragon. But then, when he had just entered it, he saw a young guard sitting by a table, looking tired. Antasir was sure that this particular guard didn't meet him yet, but he was also positive that he saw the young man among the guards that were standing outside the murder place. An idea came to his mind. Perhaps he would be able to acquire some information on the murder, and ask if there is an investigation already.

"Tough day, huh?" Said Antasir politely, joining the table.
"Tell me about it..." replied the guard, sighing.
"Say, you look tired and thirsty... how about I order you something to drink?"

//I hope you don't mind me postponing my joining of the investigation like that.

Sure, come Gwildor. I'm not very known here though, so I hope the guards will let us pass.
Alonzo made a sign for Gwildor to follow him and started walking.

// I hope you don't mind me controlling your character for the way to the guards of the upper city. If you do I'll edit my post.

Gwildor followed the novice through next to the temple yard, up the stairs and they stopped next to the guards.

Alonzo didn't want any trouble, but he wasn't sure the guards would let Gwildor pass since access was restricted for most but a select few.

Can we pass?, he asked the guards.

The novice was a tad suspicious of Gwildor. Why did he need to see the judge ?Wasn't the mission at hand more important ? Alonzo stopped thinking of that for now.

"guard! Take ... what is your name? Take Merydion to Bartacus and the novice, right away!"

She sighed as the guard grabbed her arms and roughly half-dragged her towards a certain direction. How quite obvious it is that it is not his notion to let me escape unscathed, she thought wanly, as he continued to tudge her roughly, and this time yanking her elbow when she stopped briefly as to observe the place.

Snapping at this, with a sudden movement, she jolted her arms from her grasp, and strode forward. "Before you do anything," she said, turning her gaze towards the fool, "I've no intention of being treated like a criminal to a death row. I'm perfectly fine without someone crushing my arms, and I've no will to escape. Feel free to do whatever you wish with me should I show any signs of rebellion, but for now, hands off". Having said that, she allowed him to catch up, and ignoring his bulging veins and red face, she smiled with mock politeness, and motioned him to lead the way.

I'll just have to prove my worth then, or at least end up in a dungeon trying. She surpressed a chuckle from the ill-humor, and continued her pace under the unrelenting glare of the guard.

//Note- i denotes thoughts.

At the upper city entrance ...

The two knights stationed at the gates seemed wary as ever, but noticing Alonzo's apprentice robe, their tension was cooled off a bit.
"Aye, young priest of Innos, you may pass without a worry. And you have a very strange partner at your side - not one novices make friends with, or many other people, for that matter" a knight said, raising his eyebrow. "You may pass, nonetheless, and making an inviting gesture with his left hand, he cleared the entry for the two men.

At the harbor ...

Coming more closely to the he thought as Lares, Bartacus was surprised.
"Who ya talking to, ya old git?" the young man said to him. He wasn't the thief Bartacus thought.

OOC: I know this may be confusing, but titus asked whether the barrier was still up or has it fallen down yet, so I've clarified this, opposed to what I said earlier - the barrier is down. You can edit your post or continue talking to the guy, or anything you'd like. Tell me if I'm to ignore it or not.

At Coragon's Pub ...

"Thanks man, may you live a thousand years!" the guard toasted in honor of Antasir. He drank half of the mug of ale in his hand, and wiped his mouth with his sleeve. "And yeah, rough day it was. All the week, in fact. Pressure from my superiors ("the lousy dogs!"), guard mates running up and down the city, burglars, pickpockets, now bloody murder! I swear, it's the worst week since I joined the guards two month ago. Damn quiet before, now the world is going nuts!" the guard ("my name's Eron, by the way") sighed and drank the other half of his ale.

OOC: the conversation can still continue. And Krzychu, I don't mind at all ;)

Thanks a lot Alonzo. If you ever need anything, some thing done or need anything what so ever, you can count on me, no matter what it is. You know where I live, don't you? It is close to the monastery, the hut facing the circle of the sun. Never hesitate to visit me. ] He smiled and gave a wink at Alonzo
I will finish my task here and will be back to the merchants to see if I can get any information. We will meet again

Gwildor walks away from Alanzo and walks to the Judge house, he enters and sees no one on the ground floor so he walks up. There he sees the Judge at his desk. Long time no see Judge. You know why I am here, right? I have the rune of sleep and amnesia with me and the notes to learn and use them properly. that was the reward of not sentencing the novice ,who accidentilly burned one of Akil his shed, to death. I guess you prepared the papers for him being freeed? BUT the price has risen, you will only get the notes if you drop the charges agains me for the murder of the militia men, and call it a case of protecting myself. So do we have a deal? because you know how dangerous it can be using a spell without knowing how to work it probably, just think about what probably went wrong with the barrier and how it came the novice burned down the shed Gwildor smiles and looks at the Judge

Last edited:
Bartacus was suprised of the other guys response and appologises. Still he sees that the man could be a possible source of information so he takes him into the local pub. After a few beers the tongues losen up and Bartacus hears finally something worth of interest.

Zoras: "Bartacus, you like someone who could stand up and fight. I belong to a group that might show interest in you. For now we live in secracy, but it won't be long before the harsh breath of winter will bring us the glory and reveal us."

In response Bartacus shows a sincere interest, only not the one Zoras assumed. He got his first clue and perhaps it leads to something, perhaps it was just a strange use of the same words.

OOC: I don't see how I could do more than say 'yes' here (reluctanly, 'course), and since it doesn't add anything to the story other than your character's background, I'm just gonna pass over it. Yeah, the Judge accepted your offer.
Also, nothing 'went wrong with the barrier' - like I said, please use minimal tangency to it, unless it's something relating to the known fact that it's a rebellious prison camp (but which still receives prisoners), and any other things deriving from this. Nobody knows it's going wrong. Vatras, one of the two most powerful mages on the island (Xardas doesn't count) only sensed it just when it fell.
@ Bartacus: when I said 'diplomacy' in my first post, I meant real-life diplomacy. You've convinced somebody too easily to confide to you the existance of a secret order (which I cannot say actually exists, since you made it up), and even invite you in it.
We'll continue this conversation in the pub tomorrow. Feel free to make up a sort of plan to make Zoras divulge some of his knowledge, but please do not control him.

Last edited:
// Gwildor didn't really knew that something went wrong, but the folks from the outside should have have some ideas that it went wrong a bit and that the barrier wasn't meant so big, so there might me a gossip like this. And that is what gwildor points at. Thanks anyway for allowing it all.

Gwildor takes the papers and leaves the Judge. He leaves the upper quarters and noticed that the shops are closed already, so he decides to go to the tavern and looks if he can get some info there.
He walks in and goes sitting at the bar. Good evening bartender. Can I have a nice big mug of beer? So have you heared any news? about the murder? any gossip? Or do you know someone who can give me some more information? Gwildor lays the money for the beer and an other 100 gold coins more and waits for the bartender to bring his beer.

Last edited:
Alonzo didn't really have to go to the upper quarter, but he didn't see anything wrong in asking some people some questions. He immediately saw some people talking but preferred not to disturb them, he instead continued and went through the archway. The novice saw someone sitting on a bench and approached him.

Hello sir, my name is Alonzo., he said with a smile.

The man didn't seem very interested in talking, but he nodded and waited for the novice to continue.

I was wondering if you knew who here in the upper quarter goes down to Coragon's pub often? Or maybe if someone frequently went to the lower quarter to meet with someone?

Alonzo was new at this 'questioning' bit and wasn't too sure of himself yet. He felt he was too direct. People might not like that. If it didn't work with this guy, he'd go to the guards' boss or to the mages. Maybe they would be more helpful in aiding him.

Back
Top Bottom