The TV Series discussion thread

I wouldn't say Romania is much better, but I'm getting HBO by subscribing to them directly, on the web. Not via a cable provider. I haven't had cable for the last 10+ years.
We've waited for years until they decided to finally come here, but we can't subscribe directly because of that exclusivity, which really pisses me off. It's not even shown on their website; they let people register, and at the last step, they say 'not available in your country'. It's too small for them, I think.

We've waited for years until they decided to finally come here, but we can't subscribe directly because of that exclusivity, which really pisses me off. It's not even shown on their website; they let people register, and at the last step, they say 'not available in your country'. It's too small for them, I think.
That's disappointing.
I think HBO is definitely my favorite of the options we have, and the only one I've not stopped subscribing for years now. Their classic content alone is worth it, plus they manage to also have a pretty decent constantly changing catalogue as well.
The only one I would love to have, but can't subscribe since it's only in the US, is Criterion. That's an amazing channel for the best curated movies.

I didn't know Benioff and Weiss were bad writers.

It's funny, I see that the 3 Body Problem book series also has an extra book in the same universe but written by someone else. Not as well received, apparently.

I didn't know either until recently. It's Chinese. There was also movie that was filmed but never released. Amazon unsuccessfully tried to acquire the rights to it.
I just looked at it and the reviews are pretty bimodal between 5 and 1 ... definitely more at work than the actual show! I'll take a look at the book ... interestingly the Hugo awards themselves came under significant fire this year for eliminating writers from contention under concerns of upsetting the CCP.

I didn't know Benioff and Weiss were bad writers.
I don't think most people consider them bad writers.
It's funny, I see that the 3 Body Problem book series also has an extra book in the same universe but written by someone else. Not as well received, apparently.
I'm not surprised it wasn't received well. New entries in a series done by someone else rarely are in any form of media, especially books.

I'm not surprised it wasn't received well. New entries in a series done by someone else rarely are in any form of media, especially books.
I'm not too surprised either. One exception I've seen recently is Ann Christy's Silo series, which has about the same Goodread score as Hugh Howey's Wool series (and from what I've read so far, it's well deserved). If you read his books and feel like reading more, it's definitely worth checking.

Started the Quiet on Set docs-series on the abusive Nickelodeon world ...

It is a reminder that there is basically no limit to allowed behavior so long as you are bringing in the cash - all the way up to child sexual abuse. Dan Schneider I had thought of as 'Ricky' from the movie 'Better Off Dead', was too old to care about Head of the Class or early Nickelodeon stuff until our kids started watching.

I've read a few of the memoirs (Jeanette McCurdy, etc.), and there are so many echoes from what was said about similar situations from Brooke Shields, Britney, Will Wheaton, etc. I'd heard about the writing situations (misogyny to the max), the overt and behind the scenes sexualization, the punishment for standing up for yourself ... it is appalling that it went all the way until at least 2015.

It is all so insidious and creeps in slowly so many people lived in 'oh it isn't so bad' until they could no longer deny it.

Back
Top Bottom